Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times

Advertisements

High heels....

First of all, if they are TOO high the wearer looks like shes about to tip over.

We've all seen young girls in 6 inch spikes that look bigger than their entire bodies. Not a good look.

I am now older and unfortunately for me reduced to no more than a 4 inch heel. Anything higher these days is crippling.

However there are loads of 4 inchers that are just lovely.

The first time I ever wore heels I had nagged my mother into taking me in to try some spike heeled ankle boots at age 12. Both the shop worker and my mother sat in open mouthed amazement when I put them on and took off across the floor like I was born with them on. A natural.

I found them very comfortable and its only now at advanced age I know how flat my feet are and I do wonder if the heel corrects them somehow.

Anyway its like anything, if you are in practice eg wearing heels every day, you will be able to walk just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 02:23 PM

55 posts, read 43,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
How does it feel? Uncomfortable, but you get used to it. Other women have correctly pointed out that heels are very bad for the health of your feet and back, which is why I wear them only rarely now, and always, always with a thick heel.
I guess every women has a different opinion on high heels. So say you get used to them and others say they hurt. How does a thicker heel make a difference ? I would think most of the weight would be on the front part of your shoe.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
High heels....

First of all, if they are TOO high the wearer looks like shes about to tip over.

We've all seen young girls in 6 inch spikes that look bigger than their entire bodies. Not a good look.

I am now older and unfortunately for me reduced to no more than a 4 inch heel. Anything higher these days is crippling.

However there are loads of 4 inchers that are just lovely.

The first time I ever wore heels I had nagged my mother into taking me in to try some spike heeled ankle boots at age 12. Both the shop worker and my mother sat in open mouthed amazement when I put them on and took off across the floor like I was born with them on. A natural.

I found them very comfortable and its only now at advanced age I know how flat my feet are and I do wonder if the heel corrects them somehow.

Anyway its like anything, if you are in practice eg wearing heels every day, you will be able to walk just fine.
Thanks for the input and the little story. I have to agree some of the heels the young ones wear are foolish looking but maybe it's just that i am not used to seeing them. In my first post I mentioned the lady that I saw standing by the door. Her shoes were the office type of shoe. But they looked about 4 inches high. From the side it looked like the front part of her ankle was strait down to her toes. I think any higher would not look very good.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2523 View Post
Thanks Tracy for your input. Was it like that when you first started to wear high heels ?
I was a freshman in high school. Before that, I probably only wore lower heels up to maybe 1.5 or 2 inches, and only on 'dress up" occasions. Freshman year was around 1984, when it was fashionable to wear 3 inch pumps with every outfit usually with ankle-zip jeans. Most of us girls wore them to school almost every day. I don't remember having an awkward adjustment period. After maybe the first day, I just figured out how to run, and jump, and walk on different surfaces. To me, wearing flip flops with the thong between the toes is exponentially more uncomfortable and requires MUCH more adjustment than high heels does. I do remember making fun of girls in school who could not seem to figure out how to walk normally in heels. They would look like they were teetering on stilts or something.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I guess every women has a different opinion on high heels. So say you get used to them and others say they hurt. How does a thicker heel make a difference ? I would think most of the weight would be on the front part of your shoe.
The important part of a heel is not the heel so much as the ANGLE.

The degree of elevation between the heel and toe.

This is why platform heels are more comfortable - the two inch platform means the angle to the heel is less acute.

Most of your weight comes down through the heel - which is why thicker heels are more comfortable, lower heels etc.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
They do hurt but heel lovers will sacrifice comfort for beauty, every single time.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
The important part of a heel is not the heel so much as the ANGLE.

The degree of elevation between the heel and toe.

This is why platform heels are more comfortable - the two inch platform means the angle to the heel is less acute.

Most of your weight comes down through the heel - which is why thicker heels are more comfortable, lower heels etc.
I see your point but why not just wear a lower heel and keep the shoe more I guess " classic looking " Like the way shoes looked before all the platforms became popular. ?

Old 05-07-2015, 02:39 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I tend to think that if they hurt, something is wrong. I don't get the claim about sacrificing beauty for comfort. My heels are very comfortable and never hurt me, unless I've had a very long day involving a LOT of walking. But in that case, my feet would probably hurt if I were wearing flats or athletic shoees.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I see your point but why not just wear a lower heel and keep the shoe more I guess " classic looking " Like the way shoes looked before all the platforms became popular. ?
FASHION.

Some of us are slaves.

Actually, most of us are slaves, only a few realize it.

I have both, a black spike platform and a classic pump. It depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going but the platforms are my fave.

Just as comfy as the pumps too = 2 inch sole.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:41 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times
I don't wear shoes that hurt. If they hurt, you're wearing them wrong (or you just need new shoes. ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty