Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:29 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I seem to never be able to figure out what style of clothing looks best on me, or what I even like best. Maybe that's exactly the way the clothing designers want us to feel! New things come out all the time, they are fresh and exciting, I buy them, then after one or two wearings I feel like buying them was a mistake.

I don't know why I have such a hard time deciding what style is "me." Some days I think it's the timeless, classic look, other days I like off-beat, funky, unique looks, or jeans & cowboy boots, or flowy resort casual, or you name it, I've tried it. And I know, of course, that different occasions call for different styles, but the pieces in my closet are all over the place!

I've lost 25 pounds, and when I'm down another 20 or so, I want (will need) to re-do my wardrobe, but I just don't know how to start. I want to own a lot fewer pieces than I do now, but pieces that are good quality that I love.

Can anyone direct me to some good websites or books to help me?
Go to a higher-end store like Nordstrom's that has personal shoppers, or good customer service. Tell them you need help finding the right design and cut for your figure, now that you've lost weight, because you have no idea where to start. If you have a newly-defined waist, you'll want to show that off. If you tend to hold weight in the hips/thighs/rear, you'll want A-line skirts to camouflage that. Fit-and-flair dresses look great for that. In any case, the sales staff will help you; for for the free assistance.

Plan on spending a good amount of time in this process. You want designs that flatter your best features, and hide others. Consider that it's better to spend more money per piece for fewer pieces than to buy a mish-mash of cheap stuff. Then, once you get the hang of it, shop the sales in the labels you've decided work for you.

It's great if you like classic looks. You can focus on those for work and more formal occasions, and have a few funky pieces for fun in your leisure time. You can also Google around and see who overs cheap classes on figuring out your best colors. That's one way to stay focussed on a couple of different color palettes with interchangeable pieces, instead of being all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
There are a variety of styles that suit me. Bohemian/artsy generally works, as does basic jeans/tee. Pinup-style dresses look flattering but don't especially suit my lifestyle. Boxy, tailored and/or highly structured pieces aren't my best look, flowy with soft, drapey, long lines work better. I'm tall, and like an unbroken line that emphasizes that.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:11 AM

10 posts, read 5,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
This time of the year, its usually a polo shirt and jeans (or) shorts depending on the weather.
I agree with you and also love this style to wear and also this is fashion now.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
I nearly always wear pink shirts. In the winter I also wear a pink hoodie.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:19 AM

9 posts, read 6,330 times
The fashion style are updated time to time and I like to wear just best suited on me. I am mostly like to wear Bermuda at the free time.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:38 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
I'm in my 30s and still have yet to break the habit of dressing like a stoner teen. Not having a professional white collar job contributes to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty