Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite department store?
Barney's New York 1 1.85%
Bealls 0 0%
Belk 0 0%
Bergdorf Goodman 1 1.85%
Bloomingdale's 0 0%
Boscov's 1 1.85%
Dillard's 3 5.56%
J.C. Penney 3 5.56%
Kohl's 4 7.41%
Lord & Taylor 2 3.70%
Macy's 12 22.22%
Neiman Marcus 4 7.41%
Nordstrom 21 38.89%
Saks Fifth Avenue 1 1.85%
Sears 1 1.85%
Von Maur 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:37 PM
BCB BCB started this thread

1,005 posts, read 1,784,543 times

Advertisements

Personally, I grew up in a town where Dillard's was where you shop if you had money. We would most often go to J.C. Penney, sometimes Sears, and Dillard's for Christmas.

Later on, I branched out and started shopping at Nordstrom. The selection and value are both good, but the clothes didn't fit all that well; the quality was good, but you do have to pick and choose.

Now I most often visit Neiman's. I love supporting a local company and more importantly I love the product. Thankfully, I have found a brand which fits extremely well; the quality of the material also lays nicely.

Overall, the quality of fit and material are my most important factors when buying clothes. Customer service is a close second.

Throughout my lifetime, I have visited all included in the poll except for Boscov's.

Where did you grow up shopping?
What are your favorite department stores?
What do you like about a particular department store?
Do you go to certain stores for certain items?
What factors do you most consider when shopping?
How far do you travel to a department store?
Which stores do you believe have the best quality?
Which stores have the best customer service?
Which stores have you been to?

* NO snarky comments from ANYONE

Have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 12:34 AM

514 posts, read 471,070 times
Worldwide: Harrods and Selfridges in London are the best I've seen in terms of decor and selection range, with honorable mention to Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele in Milan.

I remember once walking into the beautiful perfume (or was it the makeup) sub-department in Harrods to see an array of radiantly elegant and demure European models wearing traditional East Asian dresses. An unforgettable experience.

In the USA: Bergdorf Goodman for decor. Macy's West 34th Street in New York for selection.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:21 AM
BCB BCB started this thread

1,005 posts, read 1,784,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Worldwide: Harrods and Selfridges in London are the best I've seen in terms of decor and selection range, with honorable mention to Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele in Milan.

I remember once walking into the beautiful perfume (or was it the makeup) sub-department in Harrods to see an array of radiantly elegant and demure European models wearing traditional East Asian dresses. An unforgettable experience.

In the USA: Bergdorf Goodman for decor. Macy's West 34th Street in New York for selection.
Since you mention Harrod's...

The last time we were at Harrod's (2008) it was what the Londoners call Arab Season...exotic cars everywhere, echoing throughout the cavernous streets of London. The prince of Qatar had his cherry red Phantom parked in the court of of Hans Cres and Basil.

Inside Harrod's it was shoulder-to-shoulder with clothing racks and shoppers. The staff said they couldn't wait for the craziness to be over.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:55 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Where did you grow up shopping? When I was little we would go to downtown Baltimore to all the big department stores on Howard Street
What are your favorite department stores? Nordstroms
What do you like about a particular department store? -their Customer Service is A+
Do you go to certain stores for certain items? Depends on what I need
What factors do you most consider when shopping? Customer Service
How far do you travel to a department store? I have a job that includes the freedom to fly so....
Which stores do you believe have the best quality? I do love my Boden's for quality every time
Which stores have the best customer service? Nordstroms, Bodens, Zappos
Which stores have you been to? I have traveled the world, I don't have time to list them all

You asked about quality---quality isn't always my main requirement. I needed a little white cardigan for a dress, found a perfect one at Kohl's after looking everywhere--I know it won't last long, but it did the trick.

* NO snarky comments from ANYONE Good luck with that one...this is CD

Old 09-07-2015, 06:24 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Where did you grow up shopping?
Alexander's, Macy's, Malley's.

What are your favorite department stores?
Macy's, Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus.

What do you like about a particular department store?
I love Nordstrom's lingerie department, and before they started cutting costs, I loved that they had a piano player on the second floor landing next to the winding staircase.

For Neiman, I love the experience as a whole. I think the only thing I've ever actually purchased there was a bottle of Eau de Toilette from Annick Goutal.

For Macy's, I love that I can actually find clothes that fit and look good on me. I have a petite frame, but I'm curvy and big-chested. Button-down shirts haven't been an option since the 1970's.

Do you go to certain stores for certain items?
Macy's for "decent" clothes. Bob's for sweats and tee-shirts. Kohl's for socks and underpants. Nordstrom's for bras and bathingsuits (the only place I've been to that has a decent "plus-size petite" option. And by plus size I mean I wear a size 10-12, depending on the manufacturer not that bad. But I'm only 5'2-1/2" and wear an E-F cup with a 34-inch back."

What factors do you most consider when shopping? Price range, fit. In other words - it doesn't matter how flawlessly it fits - if it's $200 I'm not going to even try it on, whatever it is. I look for a proper fit in things less than $100 and I'll never pay more than $50 for a pull-over shirt, ever.

How far do you travel to a department store?
I live within 10 minutes of the local Kohl's and Bob's. Within 20 minutes of Macy's. The higher-end stores are a minimum of 45 minutes away, but I also live within 2.5 hours of Boston and 1.5 hours of Manhattan so I can get pretty much anything I need, if I'm willing to make a day trip out of it.

Which stores do you believe have the best quality?
Of the ones I've actually been to: Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom's.

Which stores have the best customer service?
The same: Neiman and Nordstrom.

Which stores have you been to?
All the above plus Sacks Fifth Avenue, Filene's, the old Caldor's and Bradlee's, Kmart, Walmart. I will actually occasionally buy underwear at Walmart because they have Hanes for Hers in the all-cotton string-bikini in size 7 more often than anywhere else, and that is my preferred style and brand.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:54 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
At the risk of sounding snarky, I voted Kohl's because my other half is a cheapskate. He gets coupons and I find myself tagging along with him.

I occasionally love looking through the higher end stores and particularly love the clearance racks. I don't mind paying good money for something of quality that looks great on me.

I do thrift shops alot but for new I go to the base exchange first. One thing about thrift shops, I can pick up work clothes that look business casual but I can climb around on roofs, etc. If it gets messed up, it was only a dollar, right?

I guess we're a good match. lol

Old 09-07-2015, 08:11 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Printemps, either in Paris or Tokyo, for selection--decent housewares as well as clothes selection. Galeries Lafayette in Paris for trendy brands, the food, and the wonderful historic design of the building itself. At home, I guess Nordstrom is my favourite department store, the selection seems well curated at least to my taste.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I voted Macy's. They have a good selection of clothing in terms of style/sizes and when they have a sale they really have a sale! I'll give the runner-up to JC Penney which people love to rag on for some reason but in terms of jeans especially has the best selection of styles and a huge range for those with hard to find sizes.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:01 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Where did you grow up shopping? Strouss, Hornes
What are your favorite department stores? Today, it doesn't matter too much. My job only requires casual dress (Dockers, polls...)
What do you like about a particular department store? Organization. Neatness
Do you go to certain stores for certain items? No
What factors do you most consider when shopping? Convenience
How far do you travel to a department store? No more than 10-15 minutes.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:02 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post

Where did you grow up shopping? JC Penney's in the town I lived in, or Gottschalk's (now gone)and Zukor's (also gone) in Fresno.
What are your favorite department stores? Well, it WAS Meier & Frank in Portland before Macy's bought it out. Don't really have one now, although I still like JC Penney's.
What do you like about a particular department store? Variety in styles and sizes without costing an arm and a leg.
Do you go to certain stores for certain items? During winter I'm all about sweaters, so I usually go to JC Penney's for sweaters. They also sell a lot of accessories.
What factors do you most consider when shopping? Finding things that FIT right and have colors that I like.
How far do you travel to a department store? Up to 20 miles by mass-transit.
Which stores do you believe have the best quality? Probably Nordstrom and Macy's but I can't afford their prices. And I don't like Macy's, anyway.
Which stores have the best customer service? This, I wouldn't know.
Which stores have you been to? Browsed through Sak's (the one here is closed now), Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom's, Macy's, Meier & Frank (God, how I miss them!), Dillard's, Scarsborough's, Gottschalk's, Sears, JC Penney's, Target, Fred Meyer, Ross, Kohl's. I tend buy a lot of underwear from WalMart.

I spotted a Dillard's in Boise, Id when I was there recently. Brought back memories of my shopping days at the one in Austin, TX.

Have fun.
I tend to buy summer clothes while I'm on vacation. I think some warm tourist places have more of the stuff that I like to wear.

Oh! And we have a Burlington Coats here, which is a wonderful store. But I never shop there because of it's location (hard to get to). And we once had a Nieman-Marcus a LONG time ago, and a Kauffman's in the burbs. Both were beyond my price range, although I still have my terrific bangle bracelet from Kauffman's during their store-closing sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty