Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 07:32 AM

496 posts, read 553,815 times

Advertisements

I think men look silly carrying the more feminine-design handbags, but that's because I have been socialized to look at those bags and think, "Oh, that's a woman's purse." It's really just a Bag for Carrying Stuff, and everybody needs to carry stuff.

I think hipsters in general look silly. I imagine they dress as they do in purposeful defiance of social conventions, much as beatniks and hippies did back in the old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 08:07 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,889,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I'm still waiting for fanny packs to come back in style.
Lol never

Old 10-15-2015, 08:24 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,921,313 times
for those of you that want to plan the "man" card, you do realize that how a man dresses doesn't necessarily correlate to whether he can fix a car, build things, or work with his hands, right? And I hope you also realize that hunting and fishing does not make someone a "man"; it simply means that particular male enjoys those specific hobbies/activities. Those are no more "manly" than playing guitar, or painting, or being a writer or anything else in your spare time.

A real man doesn't spend his life living inside of a box of what a "man" should be or what a "man" was considered to be 50 years ago.

I am a straight male. I am a mechanical engineer who also helps manage construction projects. I lettered in 3 sports in HS and was a walk-on for a sport in college. I also enjoy fashion, interior decorating, furniture design. I don't carry a 'purse' but I do carry a nice leather messenger. I don't see how any of these things make me more or less of a 'man'. It's just who I am. I don't worry about how I stack up against a stereotypical'man' and I don't get why other people have to project their own ideas of manhood onto other people.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:15 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,334,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Some guys might carry purses, but men do not.

Range bags, ammo cans, backpacks, rucksacks, briefcases, duffel bags...but never a purse.
Perhaps you should travel a bit. To Italy maybe. You think those aren't men??

Old 10-15-2015, 11:18 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,334,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
... I think hipsters in general look silly. I imagine they dress as they do in purposeful defiance of social conventions, much as beatniks and hippies did back in the old days.
Regarding hipsters, how is it defiance of social conventions when a huge portion of society is doing it? Same with tattoos. How can tats any longer be considered edgy when your auntie and your child have them?

Old 10-15-2015, 12:21 PM

501 posts, read 1,065,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
A murse? What a disgusting name. I assume it comes with a free pair of skinny jeans?

Lol, remeber when men were men?
Pretty sure an X and Y chromosome still make a male human. Society evolves.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
I'm not a guy, but I'd love the leather backpack. When I took the bus a lot, I always carried a backpack. I had something to amuse myself in it, but also room to put small things I bought in it too. Or store a jacket. I used and use a fanny pack for a 'purse'. Hard to forget or drop one of those.

Why shouldn't guys have something to carry stuff around in?

Even if your walking around shopping, they are increasingly telling people NOT to leave things visibly in the car, as its a great lure to break into one. Either hide it or take it with you.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:05 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,313,679 times
The one in the photo looks like a duffle bag to me, so if I saw a man carrying one I would just assume he was possibly returning from a flight, or just carrying work-related stuff.

I don't mind seeing men carrying should-strapped bags at all, although I'd be curious to find out what most of them put in theirs (since it wouldn't be the same contents as women's).

Old 10-15-2015, 01:44 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,854,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboi View Post
Yeah, but the one in the link I posted is a bit on the feminine side.
the models are on the feminine side.

I dont want to see a murse, but I'm ok with other types of utility bags.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:52 PM

18,481 posts, read 31,675,094 times
well with all the "stuff" we have now-a-days, men DO need something to carry it in.

it is the year 2015 and were still discussing bags for men?

havent we evolved yet????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty