Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 10:45 AM

687 posts, read 617,166 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am sure this has been asked before, but I am hoping to get honest responses. Why do you like to wear makeup/don't like to wear makeup? How do you feel about makeup in general? NOTE: This is not a thread to bash on people who do/don't wear makeup, but to learn of each other's views!!

I enjoy wearing makeup. I find the routine of applying makeup and putting effort into my appearance relaxing and rejuvenating when I can be leisurely about it. It makes me feel more present in myself and allows me to be creative.

When I was a little younger, I avoided makeup because I thought it was dishonest to make your face look different and that women only wore it because they have low self-esteem. I got this mostly from my mother, whom felt a woman wasn't dressed if she didn't have makeup. She would go so far as to edit photos of me without makeup to look like I was wearing it! This fueled my hatred of makeup even more, but somewhere along the line I started to discard her influence and became more open-minded.

What is your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 10:59 AM

951 posts, read 1,141,440 times
I never wore much makeup because of skin issues, so finding makeup that would look good on me and not make me break out is quite difficult. Sad, because it should be the other way around--people with nice skin would need less makeup, but actually, makeup looks better on them.

In the last few years, my skin has gotten better, and I found a good foundation that doesn't make me break out, so I actually wear foundation everyday now. I'll fix my brows and put some blush, lip color and mascara on.

I would love to have flawless skin like some of the makeup gurus on YouTube and do makeup like them. I had the opportunity to get my makeup professionally done once by a makeup artist, and wow, what a difference. I wish I could look like that everyday!

Old 11-13-2015, 11:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
I don't wear it often. It can be fun. But I am lazy that way. I do try to put on lipstick in photos. That is about it. I also add highlighter to my moisturizer for a natural glow. Once in a while I add mascara.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
I used to love makeup, but I've developed an allergy to sunscreen that makes it hard to find foundation. I'm also randomly becoming allergic to different things, so I'll use a product that used to work for me, and get large blisters all over my face, or try a new lipgloss (without sunscreen) and have my lips swell and crack, then peel for a month. I can't predict when it will happen. I have to go to the doctor for the more serious allergic reactions, and then I have to take steroids for several weeks to clear it up, which always causes me to gain about ten pounds. So makeup is just not fun for me anymore.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:34 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,943,169 times
It's seasonal for me. In the summer, I don't bother much b/c I spend as much time as possible outdoors---so I'm sweating it off. Also, I love to swim so I'm in the pool alot. In winter, I definitely wear it more often.

I like wearing make up and, though I don't wear much, I do feel more confident wearing it.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,238,153 times
I'm rather low-maintenance and prefer a natural look, plus with my fair coloring, make-up just looks too... made-up. I keep it simple: tinted moisturizer, tinted lip balm, maybe a sweep of blush if I'm looking washed-out. Once in a while I might put on some brown mascara, but not very often.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:14 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,299,520 times
My personal feelings on make-up is that most of it is too expensive.

That aside, I do wear more in the winter months when I get little or no sun. Don't like looking ghoulish.

In the summer I wear a minimal face: powder, mascara and some lip tint/moisturizer.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:28 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,195,242 times
I like how it makes me look. But I always hated the chore of putting in on, and worrying about maintaining it.

But this is in reference to liners, and mascara mostly. Lipstick and blushes are fine. But eyes really complete the look, and lip-liner finishes it off. So it's empty with the full set, imo.

But I have heard of being able to get make-up tattooed and inked into the skin. May be something I do in the future.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:31 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,787 times
I love makeup!

I have never felt as if I needed to wear it, but I think it makes me look more glam and polished when I wear it. My husband prefers me without it and thinks I look better without it, but I won't give it up. Besides I have thousands invested in my makeup, I can't just NOT use it.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:48 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
I always have to have a little on. For my "no make-up" look days, its a bit of brow mascara, eyeliner and lip gloss. When I am going out or want to feel more put together I add mascara and a dab of gel blush. I never wear foundation or powder anymore, I just use some cover stick to blend in uneven areas. I am lucky to have pretty good skin even in my 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty