Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 11:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times

Advertisements

I posted a pic on Facebook this week after a trip to the makeup counter. So many positive comments. I don't often feel wowed after a trip to a department store's makeup counter, but I left with a palette of colors that all looked great for me. And a glam natural look.

Now how often will I get dolled up, that is the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 12:43 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You might want to try Intellishade, sold by dermatologists, because it contains a sunscreen, evens out imperfections, and you cannot feel it, even in the humid southern summer. I feel as you do about most liquid makeup.
And no soy! I'm allergic to that... I might try it.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:01 PM

1,155 posts, read 963,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Well, that's the thing. You CAN wear makeup without looking "painted like a clown".

You just have to learn how to do it, if you have the inclination to want to.
To me, it all looks like painting color onto your facial features for no reason.

I'm so used to seeing women's natural faces, I look at a woman wearing makeup and think "Why?"

I know that many women enjoy wearing it, but it's not for me.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:13 AM

5,010 posts, read 593,349 times
Oooh...I LOVE makeup....I've learned how to enhance my features and yet have a no makeup look.

I get many compliments in respect to how pretty I am.

I'm not a natural beauty.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:30 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
I don't wear make-up. Mostly because I think it's bad for your skin. And if you don't like me the way I am without it, the way I really look, naturally, then I don't care. Am I "prettier" with make up? Sure. But I don't need to impress, or put on a facade for anyone. And I certainly don't need it to feel better about myself. If I'm too ugly to be asked out without it, then so be it.

I WILL SAY that IF I were job hunting, or when I meet a lawyer or have to conduct what I call "professional business" -- I would wear lipstick, but that's all. No foundation, blush, mascara, eye liner or anything like that. And I'd only wear it when job hunting because when I want something, I will play the make up game. Guess that makes me a hypocrite. Oh well. I don't' care about that either.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:41 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,210 times
Even though I love buying new product and playing around with it, I rarely wear it. I'll keep up with a skin care routine in the summer, but not makeup. I don't want to go to wipe the sweat off my brow and smear makeup all over the place. I'll wear it when it is cooler, when I am going out somewhere at night, or when I know I am getting a picture taken. Without makeup I look washed out and my eyebrows and upper lip seem to disappear in photos if I'm not wearing makeup.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:54 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,068 times
I now wear a makeup that has a built in primer so it's more like skincare plus I use really effective skincare that alleviates the need for much concealer or coverage. I am late 40's. I don't have crow's feet or too many wrinkles but I like to wear a concealer where needed and Trish McEvoy's eye bright to lighten my whole face as now shadows on my face make me looks tired. I try to stay hydrated and use products that plump the skin which helps. The makeup I love is mascara, eye liner that I use close in the lash line just to give the eye definition and make my lashes appear fuller, bronzer and blush. My lip product varies depending on the time of day and activity. I do love Chanel's coco rouge shine and keep a few in my bag. I have always loved my beauty rituals as it keeps my skin attractive and healthy but is a time for "just me". I like to always present a positive face to the world even if I feel a little crummy. Eventually my face will match my mood.��

Old 12-15-2016, 02:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,533 times
The same story is here. I somehow started applying makeup occasionally as it builds one self-confidence and gives a great reason to stand among the crowd. Moreover, searching more about makeup products for my skin type as it's a little oily and the makeup doesn't last for long, my best buddy recommended me to go through this brand called Solvaderm which has almost all kinds of goods related to skin aging, wrinkles, etc. After using the product, I got to see a new me.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:10 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I was raised, with my sister, by a widowed mom. She spent NO time teaching us about make-up among other important lessons. I "learned" from friends.

Joined the Marines and, at the time, the Commanding General's wife took a special interest in the women. We had classes on make-up, how to (and not to) smoke if we did, how to conduct ourselves i public...etc. I kid you not. The lessons I learned in makeup was "either wear it or don't wear it". Meaning, for work, don't get all made up 3 days in a row and then not wear any makeup the 4th day. It's a negative. Also, wearing the correct amount gives one a polished look.

I think it was a fashion magazine where I read that make up shouldn't be what someone sees when they look at a lady, they should see her beauty. Or something.

Personally, I am rather lazy about it. I'd rather wake up, come on here and skip makeup. I can apply eye liner in a flash. I probably should wear something to even out my complexion.

Maybe I'll take a trip to a makeup counter!

Old 12-15-2016, 01:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
I've worn foundation and everything else throughout my adult life, whenever I've gone outside my front door. I never wanted to look overly made up, though. Now I use less, because I simply cannot wear eye shadow properly, and I'm done using eye liner.

I think one mistake women make with foundation, is buying the wrong color, or putting it on too thickly, especially if the product is not made to go on so thickly. (Some makeup is meant to be applied for complete coverage.) If you match your natural color, and apply with a light hand, makeup will even out coloring and make you look more polished. From watching Cindy Joseph's video about her Boom stick blush, I learned that the purpose of blush is to make you look healthy. She uses her blush stick on more than her cheeks. I now do too. I use regular old powder blush though.

I've seen women who have applied foundation to skin and not used blush. This is a mistake, but I get it if one's skin is not smooth. That woman needs advice from someone at a cosmetic counter, IMO. I, myself did seek help a few years ago, and I used the foundation they matched to my skin for several years. But a better match came along, with a lighter texture suitable for my aging skin, and I changed to that.

I feel that sometimes we get locked into something, when new products are available. We should look from time to time to find what is out there for us.

But, I like a little foundation to smooth over skin pigmentation and age spot problems. And I like blush. I also use mascara and sometimes a little brow color. I use lipstick that looks natural to me. To my great disappointment, I do not look good wearing red lipstick. (Remember that old essay incorrectly attributed to Andy Rooney? Andy Rooney: In Praise of Older Women : snopes.com)

But even more a must for me are earrings. If I had to choose between wearing makeup or wearing my every day oval hoop earrings, I'd choose the earrings. I wear them all the time except to the gym.

I am not one who wants to hide herself with makeup; I've always wanted to enhance myself. But to each her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty