Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 03:54 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times

Advertisements

I've always loved makeup. I used to be one who wouldn't even go out to the mailbox without full makeup, lol--now I wear it to work or if I'm going somewhere other than just the grocery store.

As far as devoting time to applying it, after 40 years practice I can do foundation/blush/eyes in well under ten minutes. Maybe less than five if I'm in a hurry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 05:41 PM

1,155 posts, read 963,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Makeup is alien to me. No one in my environment growing up--neighbors, relatives, friends--ever wore makeup. So I could never relate to it. That's all.
Same here. When I was little, I found it weird and upsetting to see a woman with her face painted like a clown. My mother didn't wear it, and neither did her friends. When I grew older, I still felt the same. I always wondered why some women felt compelled to do it.

For myself, I had no interest in spending the time, or the money, to fool around with painting colors on my face. Happily, I've worked in careers and in locations where the women around me wear virtually no make-up, just like me. I think it's great.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:37 PM

7,104 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Makeup is alien to me. No one in my environment growing up--neighbors, relatives, friends--ever wore makeup. So I could never relate to it. That's all.
My mom only ever wore lipstick, as far as I know. But that's all she ever needed, she was gorgeous.

Seems everyone in high school in my day (70s) wore eye shadow, foundation, mascara, lipstick, the whole works. I never did follow the crowd, and was kind of a nerdy loner in high school, no makeup at all.

I only learned how to apply eyeliner from my daughter when she was 19 or so!!

Old 11-14-2015, 06:39 PM

7,104 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
Same here. When I was little, I found it weird and upsetting to see a woman with her face painted like a clown. My mother didn't wear it, and neither did her friends. When I grew older, I still felt the same. I always wondered why some women felt compelled to do it.

For myself, I had no interest in spending the time, or the money, to fool around with painting colors on my face. Happily, I've worked in careers and in locations where the women around me wear virtually no make-up, just like me. I think it's great.
Well, that's the thing. You CAN wear makeup without looking "painted like a clown".

You just have to learn how to do it, if you have the inclination to want to.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:39 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
I think makeup is part of the uniform for going out of the home. I don't do it anymore because I am old and don't care. Lipstick gets on my false teeth LOL

Old 11-14-2015, 09:43 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times
I like wearing make-up when I go out of the house. It gives me a lift, and improves my self-confidence. Just a little tinted sunscreen and mascara and I'm ready to go. Two minutes tops.
When going out for a special event it takes a little longer - maybe 10 minutes.
Well worth it in my opinion.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:56 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I love makeup and have my entire life. Even at home I usually dab at least a little lip color.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:22 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't care how quickly I can theoretically smear foundation/bb cream/other liquid makeup on my face, I still can't tolerate how it feels on my skin.
You might want to try Intellishade, sold by dermatologists, because it contains a sunscreen, evens out imperfections, and you cannot feel it, even in the humid southern summer. I feel as you do about most liquid makeup.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 2,788 times
I love it! I'm into trying all of the new products and techniques. I'm a suckered for it all!

Old 11-15-2015, 05:42 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I rarely wear it now days, but I love the ritual of putting it on. It makes me feel girly. I have dark hair and medium skin, so I can carry a very smoky eye for evenings. It never shows in pictures thought....weird.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty