Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:34 AM

99 posts, read 335,683 times

Advertisements

A trend that I am seeing in Colorado with teens is two toned hair. The top might be blond or maroon and the layers underneath are black.

There is a trend that I have adopted since living here (probably due to laziness). They wear a lot of puffy vests and hoodies in the winter with shorts and flip flops. It doesn't matter if there is snow on the ground!

When I first moved here, I was amazed at all the tattoos. I came from the midwest and either people always wore long sleeves or I wasn't exposed to full body art. After seeing so much of it, I don't even really notice it anymore!

Middle school girls are wearing Hollister, Aeropostle, Juicy, Abercrombie and Pink. Skinny jeans are now getting popular. They are layering shirts. Oh yeah, and hoodies. My kids don't wear winter coats. They are not cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 11:48 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
If I see another muffin-top girl around here I might screech. You're not a size 2, so don't wear it!! What is so hard to understand about this?

The stores around here are depressing me... I can't find skinny jeans that are actually, well, skinny. I'm probably going to have to start pushing down south to find a pair of jeans that aren't "baby Phat" or encrusted with huge plastic jewels.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
My daughter is 13 and has (sadly) been going throught this phase!! She's a little more "glam" with it though than some of her peers. She refuses to wear Hollister , Ambercrombie, etc. Hey...saves me money..lol..(well ..not really she has quite the closet) Anyway....Emo is short for emotional and I have found that most of the emo kids that my daughter knows are the creative artistic types.......as my daughter is...very deep thinker for her age too. I think people think these kids are all depressed and it's just not true. I will be glad when she is done with this fashion trend though. lol I miss seeing her in color.

LOL u guys are quite funny..

emo doesnt really mean "emotinal". its short for "emotive hardcore".

Quote:
What Emo Is And Some History.
Emo is short for emotive hardcore. It's a DIY music style (not a ****ty fashion) that started in the 80's. Emo follows (but is not restricted to) the lines of hardcore. Hardcore is a subgenre of punk, therefore, so is emo. The first emo band is often credited to Rites Of Spring. They played with hardcore punk rock energy (as the members were previously involved with hardcore bands) and lots of emotion through their performance and with their audience. Their lyrics seem to have important views about life and a sense of deepness.

"Emo" As A Term.
The term "emo" was generated as an insult to people in the hardcore scene that liked these bands. An emo band's performance on stage (can include crying/moaning/etc. their lyrics and various other events) probably made them look "weaker" to the hardcore kids, which is (why I think) "emo" was directed as an insult.

What Screamo is.
Screamo has evolved from emo. This music style invloves more screaming and often has more melodic breakdowns. Screamo is still emo, therefore follows its guidelines.

What Emo Is Not.
Emo is not short for emotional. Emo is not a fashion. Emo is not "XxXxXxXOMMMFFGZZZZ IM LYKE, SO DEPRESSED!XxXxX!!!1!!111 IM GONNA SLIT MY WRISTZZZZZZZ...LOL..XxXxX xX" Emo was not mainstream (because it was DIY). Emo has nothing to do with being depressed, ****ty metaphors, or suicide. Emo is not whiney, bull**** music sung by pubescent males that haven't dropped their balls yet.
Real Emo Bands: Rites Of Spring, Embrace, Moss Icon, Funeral Dinner, Gray Matter, Hot Cross, Off Minor, Indian Summer, Sleepytime Trio, etc...

Screamo Bands: Saetia, Orchid, Pg. 99, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, Love Like...Electrocution, Angel Hair, Antioch Arrow, Majority Rule, Usurp Synapse, Love Lost But Not Forgotten, etc...

Record Labels Known To Produce Important Emo Bands: Discord Records, Level-Plane Records, Magic Bullet Records, Ebullition Records, etc...

NOT Emo Bands: Taking Back Sunday, Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Dashboard Confessional, From First To Last, Bright Eyes, Simple Plan, The Used, Senses Fail, etc...
thats all you need to kno

no glam crap.. no cutting... no depressing emotional stuff...

just consider that

[url=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=real+emo]Urban Dictionary: real emo[/url]

if you crave more bout the truth

Old 04-25-2008, 06:56 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Default Fashion in Indiana....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
People have awful style here in Indiana. NASCAR t-shirts and hoodies on guys. Hoodies, hoodies, and more hoodies on girls. People have a horrible fashion sense in the midwest.

I had to laugh out loud with this posting Interpol...
Forgive me. LOL

My fiance and I went out to Indiana a year ago to visit a friend and I was so surprised to see all black tshirts, black tennis shoes and mullits LOL

Ok, I know I'm bad... sorry in advance!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:04 AM

Default Fashion Trends

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyde View Post
Here in NE PA, it seems like the style is "I have more name brand stuff than you." Ugg boots, Coach and gucci purses, Burberry EVERYTHING... Most women look like walking billboards for designers. Just moved to this area and I am stunned by this blatent display of (apparent) wealth, and it's trickling down to the kids here - for example:

I saw a little girl getting off the school bus with a Vera Bradley backpack, Burberry scarf, holding a new Iphone. She couldn't have been more than 10!

Lots of layering here too, and hoodies, but at least it makes a bit of sense because it's winter!

Ugh.
OMG, I'm cracking up - you are so right! I was so glad when we got away from the winter, if I see another pair of UGG boots with sweat pants lazily falling over the sides of the boots, I'm going to throw up all over the girl LOL

Old 04-25-2008, 07:06 AM

Default I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I live in South Dakota, conservative capital of the midwest:

Ladies: mom jeans that come up to the belly button, pink sweaters with image of kitten playing with yarn ball

Gentlemen: flannel shirt tucked into Wrangler jeans

Save me!!!

I love it! LOL Oh my God!! jeans up to the belly and pink sweaters with kittens - too funny. Hurry, come to PA, at least here you can have name brands LOL - No wait, you can get away from it all in Indiana with the black, black and mullits HAHA - JUST kidding.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:25 AM

One thing I personally notice here in PA is (even my own son) has his hair kind of long, long enough that you have to kind of flip your head to keep the bangs out of your eyes. LOL He's getting a haircut today - yay! He is a big Hollister fan and I have to say, I did take him shopping there for his bday and surprisingly it wasn't terribly expensive but good Lord the smell of cologne floating out was enough to knock over a pro-Wrestler! LOL
My son wears his jeans, tshirts and zippered sweatshirt and sneakers. My daughter wears her work stuff and then when out of work wears kind of girly cutsie stuff she wears appropriate clothing for her body type (small framed, petite and busty). I'm 39, always told I look 28 - and wear casual comfortable clothing. I wear jeans that look good for my body type (hourglass), tops that aren't overly revealing but not up to my eyeballs either and for summer some cute shoes (I'm a shoe hound) and winter I have a ton of cool boots. I have fairly good fashion sense. - Even my kids tell me - so I must, right? HAHA The trends here in PA though are definitely for the younger crowd, all namebrand crap, purses, UGGS, etc... And oh God, definitely see a lot of girls who are poured into their clothing and obviously shouldn't be. They definitely looked like a stuffed sausage LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty