Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:32 PM

2,026 posts, read 334,585 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Thought this might be a good place to post my concerns regarding my fashion wardrobe that is simply too big to handle.

Today I decided to do an evaluation of my summer and winter clothes...2 hours later I think I cleared out a quarter of my closet to donate. My dilemma is that I STILL do not have enough room for the rest of the clothes I want to keep! I have resulted to storing skirts and jeans in my dresser drawer because hanging them would make my closet even more bulkier.

Any helpful solutions? Bear in mind that my closet is extremely small. Should I resort to donating more items despite me getting use out of them?

Thanks a ton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 07:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Store offseason clothes elsewhere and only keep the current season in the closet

Old 12-19-2015, 08:18 PM

620 posts, read 639,310 times
What sort of hangers are you using? I switched out all my white plastic hangers with these. It was a heck of an investment to replace all of them, but it made a HUGE difference in my closet. Everything hangs neater, nothing falls off the hangers, and the hangers take up MUCH less space.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:57 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
You could buy an armoir or wardrobe to hang the extra clothes. They vary from being gorgeous antique to inexpensive walmart versions.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:12 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
An armoire would be a good idea.

Folding jeans is just fine, as long as you pay attention when you're folding them so they don't end up wrinkled.

You can also get some bags to store your out of season clothes under the bed. The bags I use have a hole to attach the hose of the vacuum cleaner and pull the air out, so they take less room to store.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Seasonal storage.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:32 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,630 times
Great thread. I also have a very small closet and no dresser. Here's what I do:

• Any bulky hangers (my husband loves big bulky wooden hangers) - switch them out for something like yandex suggested
• For bras, undies, camisoles, shorts/skirts, socks/tights/leggings, I use one of these. It does take up some room on the hanger bar, but it gives me plenty of 'shelves' to organize my clothes.
• Then above the closet bar, I have a shelf where I use something similar to this for sweaters, pants (mostly jeans), t-shirts, etc. I have two that each have 3 medium dividers.

I try to roll clothing for the shelves and shoe divider if possible - basically if the fabric allows. Items with delicate fabric, are too large to fold, or dresses get hung up. Even still, I have a hard time getting all my clothing in and try to donate whenever I get a new item. The items in my closet now are things I wear often. Really assess the clothing you have. If you haven't worn it in over a year or maybe have only worn it once or twice in a year, consider donating/selling it. If you still have too many clothes, at that point I'd consider a small storage unit.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:59 AM

2,026 posts, read 334,585 times
Thank you everyone for the excellent suggestions. Yandex, I use Joy Mangano's Huggable Hangers. I think they are quite thin, but looking from your hanger suggestion I think those may be even thinner!
As far as an armoire goes, I don't think I will have enough space for one, and I know even the smallest ones are up there in price...

I might look into storage under my bed temporarily. If you have anymore suggestions that would be great!! Thank you again!

Old 12-20-2015, 07:13 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Enchantment View Post
Hi all,

Thought this might be a good place to post my concerns regarding my fashion wardrobe that is simply too big to handle.

Today I decided to do an evaluation of my summer and winter clothes...2 hours later I think I cleared out a quarter of my closet to donate. My dilemma is that I STILL do not have enough room for the rest of the clothes I want to keep! I have resulted to storing skirts and jeans in my dresser drawer because hanging them would make my closet even more bulkier.

Any helpful solutions? Bear in mind that my closet is extremely small. Should I resort to donating more items despite me getting use out of them?

Thanks a ton!
You can buy a hanging rack for not too much money, and just put it in a corner of your room or something.

You can also get triple and quadruple hangers that let you hang multiple items in cascading fashion. Then arrange by color and type so it's easy to find things.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:28 AM

2,536 posts, read 3,104,199 times
O.P., your closet is trying to tell you something. You need to pare down even further.
Don't spend needlessly on new hangers or new storage methods...donate, donate, donate!
There are people in your town who need those items of clothing right now. Make everyone's Christmas a little better by off-loading your excess. When you open your closet door and see your newly-pared down wardrobe, you'll feel relieved, like a huge weight is off your back! And your fellow citizens will have access to better things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty