Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:13 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,983 times

Advertisements

So for those who have to deal with winter and the cold weather, what winter jacket(s) are you wearing to keep warm? Do you have a jacket that's super warm that doesn't require you to layer up underneath or do you have outerwear that isn't that great that you have to wear several layers to compensate?

Also does anyone own any expensive jackets like Canada Goose, Nobis etc? How warm are those and do you think its worth the money? I find it funny that up here in Toronto whenever the weather gets somewhat cold, all of a sudden you see a ton of people wearing Canada Goose jackets or knockoffs of Canada Goose jackets. Especially asians they seem to LOVE Canada Goose. I went to an asian supermarket a few days ago and it seemed like every other person was wearing one. An exaggeration of course, but yeah an awful lot of people were wearing one in that supermarket.

So please share what jackets do you own to keep you warm? And which ones do you recommend? Or do you simply just layer up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 05:33 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times
We live at 7,000 feet and it's below freezing to below zero. I wear my 6 year old LL Bean 3/4 length hooded down coat--love it! They also make a mid calf length coat.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
layers and layers...

long-johns, sometimes called long underwear,,,, sweatshirts/ warm vests, jackets, then maybe a heavy large coat if it is cold and snowy out

we are pretty hearty up here,,,most native mainers will cut down there own trees and split for firewood,,
sometimes it gets -20 to -40 below with the wind chill factor,,, and fashion means little its all practicality- if your car gets stuck off the road,,,, no one is going to notice fashion,,,, many will offer to help tho

when it starts to warm in april.... it might be 40 out and we will be wearing t shirts,,, our blood will be
thick by then

Old 01-18-2016, 08:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I have a down coat from Lands End that I wear when it gets really cold. It hits mid-thigh and has a hood.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:21 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I wear down coats as well when it's really cold, jackets are for milder temps.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:28 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Columbia 2in1.
They zip into each other.
When I lived I Colorado and went skiing it was the coat I've used.
I've actually had this coat for like 5 years now and it's still in great shape.
I also have Columbia snow pants I've had for nearly a decade and they're baggy cause I was pudgy when I bought them at 17 but still in amazing condition.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:38 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
My everyday coat is an Eddie Bauer goose feather jacket, I also have a couple of 2 piece coats but they are very bulky by comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
For those living in cold weather, what jacket(s) are you wearing to keep warm?-jac.jpg  

Old 01-19-2016, 10:50 AM

19,528 posts, read 9,546,813 times
I like my ZeroXposure jacket that I have had for over 4 years now. Also, light enough to carry around when inside some stores that have their temp control set really high. Weekend wear on really cold days may include any number of my heavy hoodies and a long sleeve shirt/thermal long sleeve shirt as well.

Love my Merrell fur lined shoes and good pair of socks.

Heavier gauge cotton pants with cargo style pockets - mostly for weekend wear.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Winter white puffy down coat from Lands End (hits mid-thigh) - playing in snow
Belted camel wool coat with wide lapels - dressing nicely
Beat-up old black sherpa coat, ankle length (got it from Canadian friend who moved to Arizona) - feeding the chickens
Lovely long brown Peruvian alpaca wrap - most of the time

Old 01-19-2016, 12:00 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
I dress in layers because my dog and I either walk in nearby woods (sometimes I use snowshoes) or go to the local dog park. I also snowblow my driveway and sidewalk as well as do some of my neighbors' driveways and sidewalks (we do each others').

I wear a long-underwear top under a turtleneck under a sweatshirt or sweater. Pants. Somtimes leg warmers over socks.

For outerwear, I use a light weight shell and LL Bean snowpants. Boot socks. Waterproof boots. A scarf or cowl around my neck. Then a long, down hooded Lands End storm coat that's about mid-calf.

Finally, gloves or mittens from LL Bean: warm lined fleece-like inner glove/mitten under another glove/mitten that's water resistant. A Carhart cap that stays put. If I'm snowblowing, I'll use a combo cap/scarf that's like an old time sky mask except it's open around your face, and wear a cap over that. Then I'll pull the hood up.

It's easier to shed layers if you get too warm than to chance being miserable because you're too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty