Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:08 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I've found bagallini on sale, marked down from $100 $30. Also got a cute Kipling on sale at Macy's, about $25. There are bargains out there if you are willing to shop

I never saw the point of carrying a bag that's more expensive than its contents--to me that's just asking for trouble

This is kind of what my DH says-- The whole purpose of a purse is something in which to carry your money. If you spend all your money for the purse, you have nothing left over to put in the purse!

^^^^I disagree
Sure...but in the case of department store sales, e.g., it's truer that your tastes must be flexible enough to "like" what happens to be on sale. Chances are it'll be an off color or something that is less desirable to the majority.

OTOH, I've had great luck both selling and buying "designer" type bags on ebay - and the selection is MUCH better. Consignment shops are fine, but you have to like what they happen to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 01:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I ordered a custom made wristlet to be made for me on etsy. It is absolutely perfect and so cute! It's a black lambskin purse that has a little monster face three eyes, fangs, and she's wearing a bow. It has two compartments, separated by a zippered compartment. It's not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but it suits me well, and I have gotten many compliments on it. She even made the handle adjustable, which works well for my small wrist. I like using wristlets when going to bars and buffets, and my girly vampire protects the contents within
That sounds quite like the themes of recent Fendi items. Sounds pretty cute to me.

This made me smile, but not for that price.
Fendi 'Monster' Pouch | Nordstrom

Old 03-13-2016, 03:06 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That sounds quite like the themes of recent Fendi items. Sounds pretty cute to me.

This made me smile, but not for that price.
Fendi 'Monster' Pouch | Nordstrom
$600!? Ouch. I paid about $55 for mine and it was a custom bag. Anyway, guess what, fellow CDers? I found my purse and purchased it last night. It is a barely used mint condition Coach Madison satchel in grey. It's almost the same as my other Coach Kristin satchel that I got as a gift some years ago, and I use that purse more than any other purse I have because it fits all my requirements. So I got a bag that's very similar (pics of a similar purse below) only in a pretty grey, and got it for a great price (only $77 for $350 MSRP) because it's used with a little discoloration on the small handle. So excited to receive it!

Coach Madison Sabrina Satchel Shoulder Bag Purse Grey Madison Collection | eBay

Old 03-13-2016, 03:16 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
$600!? Ouch. I paid about $55 for mine and it was a custom bag. Anyway, guess what, fellow CDers? I found my purse and purchased it last night. It is a barely used mint condition Coach Madison satchel in grey. It's almost the same as my other Coach Kristin satchel that I got as a gift some years ago, and I use that purse more than any other purse I have because it fits all my requirements. So I got a bag that's very similar (pics of a similar purse below) only in a pretty grey, and got it for a great price (only $77 for $350 MSRP) because it's used with a little discoloration on the small handle. So excited to receive it!

Coach Madison Sabrina Satchel Shoulder Bag Purse Grey Madison Collection | eBay
What a deal! Don't you love it when you score a deal on something so useful and that you needed? I feel like I'm hunting, sometimes. I guess I am....BARGAIN hunting!

Old 03-13-2016, 04:24 PM

19 posts, read 14,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I honestly don't understand the desire to carry somebody else's name anywhere on my body.
Amen! And the older I get, the sillier (and tackier) it seems

Old 03-13-2016, 04:28 PM

19 posts, read 14,977 times
becoming a walking billboard... sounds more like a *career choice* than a fashion decision --I want to be paid for it

Old 03-13-2016, 04:44 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Bought a purse at a Salvation Army, about 13 years ago. That darn purse won't wear out!! It was like new and I guess a soft leather.......just lately the zipper is acting up. $3/13 years....my best buy!!!
Here's my thrifty side kicking in -- zippers can be repaired or replaced. It might not be the cheapest alternative, but when I love a bag, I LOVE a bag.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle French View Post
becoming a walking billboard... sounds more like a *career choice* than a fashion decision --I want to be paid for it
There are plenty of purses at all price points with minimal branding.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:53 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm not impressed by designer names either. I honestly don't understand the desire to carry somebody else's name anywhere on my body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle French View Post
Amen! And the older I get, the sillier (and tackier) it seems
Perhaps not, but we all do anyway. Anyone who carries a cell phone is advertising the phone brand, whether they like it or not. If you wear brand name tennis shoes, the chances hover around 100% that the brand is somewhere on those too, thus you are also advertising the footwear. Did you buy a pepperoni pizza last night? Your pizza box advertises the pizza place you went to. And what about that soda you're drinking now? We all know you like Coke better than Pepsi because of the ad on the bottle.

Most everything we use has some kind of ad on it or in it, whether subtle or obvious. As for my Coach bags, I hate the ones with those giant Cs all over them. That's very tacky looking to me. I don't need help with the alphabet; I'm not 3 years old anymore. But I don't mind the regular Coach logo, especially the one with the carriage. Do I WANT to advertise Coach? Not really. But by carrying it, I'm unwittingly advertising the purse. However, I doubt my carrying a Coach purse will influence any other woman to buy one. She already either likes the brand or she doesn't, thus has chosen to own/not own that line of handbags independently of little old me

Old 03-14-2016, 11:49 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a new springtime handbag on ebay and I'm finding many beautiful options. The last time I was looking for one, I debated about getting a used purse because I wanted something really high quality that would last, and new long lasting leather purses can be pricey indeed. I was nervous about buying a used purse. I had never bought one used before, but when I found one, it was such a good price because it was used that I couldn't pass it up. It was a leather Treesje hobo for $70, hundreds less than the retail of $595. I was extremely pleased when I got it. It looked like it hadn't been carried even once.

Do you guys buy used purses? I've found many on ebay that look like they haven't even been used, yet you still get that used discount, which is what I'm hoping for this time if I get a used one. If you don't, how do you go about replacing purses; buy new, not carry one, never replace, or none of the above?
Yep all the time, designer bags from malleries luxury

I buy quality and take very good care of it and if I get tired of it I resale it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty