Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 04:04 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,252 times

Advertisements

I am not really that tall (5'6", 108 lbs), but, I have a long torso and long arms.

LL Bean used to offer tall women's turtlenecks that were perfect, but, they discontinued offering their tall version about 10 years ago.

I have tried Land's End brand in tall, (size small ) and the sleeve length is perfect at 32", but the body of the turtleneck is about 1 1/2" too short after it has been washed once.

Duluth Trading offers women's regular sizes that are two inches longer in the body, but, their sleeve length is 2" too short in a small size. They do not offer Tall sizes.

I was considering ordering turtlenecks for men in a size small. The sleeve and body length look like they would work, but, I have a 12" neck and the neck size for men's turtlenecks start at 14 - 14 1/2" neck.

So, if there are any tall women out there who wear a small size (sz 4 - sz 6)and have a sleeve length of 32" (measured middle of back of neck to wrist) and a body of shirt length about 28" so that after washing it is still at least 26" long- please tell me what brand you buy.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 04:27 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Check the JC Penney website. I don't wear turtlenecks but I do buy sweaters, t-shirts, etc. from them in size ST. (Small/Tall)

Old 11-02-2016, 05:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I just don't but any tops that aren't tunic length, anymore.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:44 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Try Eddie Bauer.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:33 AM

2,769 posts, read 404,885 times
It's hard to find tall sizes that really fit. I'm 5'9 and 160#s. Try finding a long torso bathing suit that doesn't cost $200 but looks good. And jeans, and of course shirts that the sleeves are long enough.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:46 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I am not really that tall (5'6", 108 lbs), but, I have a long torso and long arms.

LL Bean used to offer tall women's turtlenecks that were perfect, but, they discontinued offering their tall version about 10 years ago.

I have tried Land's End brand in tall, (size small ) and the sleeve length is perfect at 32", but the body of the turtleneck is about 1 1/2" too short after it has been washed once.

Duluth Trading offers women's regular sizes that are two inches longer in the body, but, their sleeve length is 2" too short in a small size. They do not offer Tall sizes.

I was considering ordering turtlenecks for men in a size small. The sleeve and body length look like they would work, but, I have a 12" neck and the neck size for men's turtlenecks start at 14 - 14 1/2" neck.

So, if there are any tall women out there who wear a small size (sz 4 - sz 6)and have a sleeve length of 32" (measured middle of back of neck to wrist) and a body of shirt length about 28" so that after washing it is still at least 26" long- please tell me what brand you buy.

Thanks.

Have you tried the Supima Cotton (not the regular cotton) turtlenecks? they are the best by far. Never a shrinking problem. I buy both Land's End and LL Bean turtlenecks, never a shrinking issue. I don't use hot water when washing; and I don't dry anything on high heat (especially black, it will fade).

Old 11-03-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Have you tried the Supima Cotton (not the regular cotton) turtlenecks? they are the best by far. Never a shrinking problem. I buy both Land's End and LL Bean turtlenecks, never a shrinking issue. I don't use hot water when washing; and I don't dry anything on high heat (especially black, it will fade).
Yes, I have tried the Supima cotton turtlenecks and I like them, but, LL Bean discontinued their tall sizes and Land's End tall sizes are a great sleeve length, but, too short in the torso.

Not many stores near me, so, I may have to order some of the recommended brands that have been suggested here and simply return them if they are not long enough.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Yes, I have tried the Supima cotton turtlenecks and I like them, but, LL Bean discontinued their tall sizes and Land's End tall sizes are a great sleeve length, but, too short in the torso.

Not many stores near me, so, I may have to order some of the recommended brands that have been suggested here and simply return them if they are not long enough.

Hmmm, I've 5'8" and have no problem with the length of either in 'regular' sizes. I do think that LL Bean may be a tad longer though. Everything is made in China (and the Chinese are short), or wherever ... ticks me off. Actually, the Chinese 'inch' measurement is shorter than the U.S.A. inch. Just a nugget of useless info.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Hmmm, I've 5'8" and have no problem with the length of either in 'regular' sizes. I do think that LL Bean may be a tad longer though. Everything is made in China (and the Chinese are short), or wherever ... ticks me off. Actually, the Chinese 'inch' measurement is shorter than the U.S.A. inch. Just a nugget of useless info.

To get the sleeve length and the torso length to be long enough I would need to be at least a size 10-12. When you wear a size 2 - 4 range the torso length is just not long enough. It seems that S/T (size small/tall) is hard to find. It took me years to find size 2/tall DKNY jeans. All other tall jeans seem to start at a size 6.

I may have to try to find some small men's turtlenecks and see if I can find a brand with a neck opening that is not too big.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:11 AM

Aaaahhh, gotch'ya. ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty