Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 11:11 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IZOD for women is overpriced, as it's considered a designer label. The same quality polo shirts can be had for much cheaper from LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, and other purveyors of recreational clothing and hiking gear.
IZOD discontinued their women's line last year (which was available at Sears and the now-defunct IZOD outlets), except for the women's golf line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 11:20 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
In another recent thread, one user brought up the statement that men's clothing is generally better quality than women's clothing.

While I don't have any say in this because I am not a woman, I would like to hear some opinions on whether or not there is any truth to this statement. If so, for what particular reason why would women's clothing be of inferior quality?
Yes. I don't know why.

Why do clothing stores alter men's clothes for free but won't so much as hem a pair of pants for women? I don't know.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm laughing the JC Penney is apparently better quality than WalMart and Target? Not by much, if at all. Macys at least has some variation ... there are some low budget lines as well as designer lines. But yeah, I've bought crap at Macys in the past. I'm much more selective now.
At least JCPenney has some decent brands such as IZOD and U.S. Polo Assn. They are quite a bit better than the generic stuff you find at Walmart and Target. JCPenney does have some overlap with Macy's, as many Macy's stores carry IZOD as well (some with only the golf line, while others with both the main lines and the golf line).

JCPenney doesn't consider Walmart and Target to be its main competitors; they view Macy's and Kohl's as their main rivals, with Sears to a lesser extent.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:41 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
If you don't believe it is true, then I challenge you to take a trip through the women's section of whatever clothing store you shop at. Pick out a few items, try some on. Let us know what you find.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
If you don't believe it is true, then I challenge you to take a trip through the women's section of whatever clothing store you shop at. Pick out a few items, try some on. Let us know what you find.
Unfortunately, I am a size XXL, so I would need to go to the Plus Size section if I were to try on some women's clothing.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:48 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I am a size XXL, so I would need to go to the Plus Size section if I were to try on some women's clothing.
Then do it. Don't see why that's a problem.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:49 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,727 times
Yes...and as a woman, I am annoyed that in order to get quality clothes, I have to shop in the men's department. This time of year I am looking for warmth as well. Cabelas advertised their best flannel shirt for women recently, but it was really only a lightweight shirt that looked like it would fall apart after one washing. I went to the men's department and found multiple options of really good quality, heavy flannel shirts. The prices are better there also.

Men's shirts and jackets usually work well for me...I wear basic shirts, and a polo shirt is a polo shirt -basically the same thing for both men and women. But pants - I have to go to the women's department for them.

All I can figure is that women tend to be more fashion conscious, so the manufacturers figure they can get away with cheap, low quality clothes. Maybe that is true for young women, but I think many of us prefer good quality clothes as we get older...

Old 11-17-2016, 11:50 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
IZOD discontinued their women's line last year (which was available at Sears and the now-defunct IZOD outlets), except for the women's golf line.
That explains why I still see IZOD for women; I buy golf skorts instead of shorts (they're a great combination shorts-with-miniskirt type of thing, fabulous for summer), and IZOD shirts come up on those websites.

But my point was that IZOD for men vs. IZOD for women were two different things. Or at least, I assumed so; you say IZOD is good quality and price. Have you ever compared the price and quality to LL Bean's men's polos? You might find comparable quality at a better price. No cool little logo, though.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:05 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
It is very true that women's clothing tends to be inferior to men's.

My wife noticed years ago that she was laundering my shirts, sweats, and jeans for multiple years, while hers did not hold up for very long. Now that we are retired and living in the country, we both have outdoor chores to do. She buys men's clothing for workwear. She's a very feminine lady, but is a realist when it comes to quality. For outdoor work, women's clothes just do not hold up.

Another issue is that some types of clothing are just not available for women. Up here in Maine, wool shirts are needed in cold weather. The best ones come from Woolrich or Filson, and the men's shirts are much better than the women's. She also likes Carhartt vests and chore coats.

I agree that this is probably due to fashion. Fashion costs more than utility, also.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
A lot of women shop at men's section because men's stuff is cheaper, higher quality, and durable. Shirts, sweaters, jackets, and sweat shirts are generally unisex anyways.

Some women I know shop at Juniors or kids section because they can find big kids clothing that fits and prices are not absurdly high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty