Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:34 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Facebook is not a legitimate news source. I have no doubt that this clip on Gunn is true, since I've heard him say this. But FB is a known source for fake news, so it's best to link to the SOURCE directly, which in this case is PBS. If it's true, it'll be on the PBS site, which is a legitimate news source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 07:42 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,093 times
About 1.5 years ago I began a diet and eventually lost around 26 lbs. Last winter I purchase a couple of new winter coats and ditched my old ones because they were so big that they swam on me. I did keep 1 old coat that was sized PXL as a knock around coat for doing dirty chores like snow shovelling and cleaning off the car.

I gained about 10 lbs back so the new coats I purchased last year were really getting a little too snug (still wearable but the pockets were gaping and I just hate that!), but the PXL coat was still too big. I went looking for a replacement coat and was shocked--and PO'd--to discover that I could just about zip up the size large AND X-large coats, and in some cases the hip was cut so narrow that the I couldn't get the coat around to button it up. WTF?? I am on the short side so I can't go up any more sizes without my shoulders drowning in fabric and the sleeves falling down to my knees.

I don't know who manufacturers are making clothes for anymore. Certainly not your average American woman....

Old 01-07-2017, 07:52 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Facebook is not a legitimate news source. I have no doubt that this clip on Gunn is true, since I've heard him say this. But FB is a known source for fake news, so it's best to link to the SOURCE directly, which in this case is PBS. If it's true, it'll be on the PBS site, which is a legitimate news source.
Click on the PBS NewsHour heading. It takes you to their page with the blue checkmark indicating that they're verified. Facebook is not the source here. PBS NewsHour is. Facebook is just the vehicle.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:37 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Here is the editorial he wrote in September (originally appeared in Washington Post, reprinted in Philadelphia Inquirer): Tim Gunn: Designers refuse to make clothes to fit American women. It's a disgrace.

I was cheering while I read that!

Old 01-07-2017, 10:40 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I straddle the edge and depending on the item I could go either way. I am a busty pear shaped person. So tend to size down in shirts but shirts with no stretch I may need to size up. And I am one size larger in pants. Depending on where I am hovering, I can wear between 14-18.

I have a few beefs with the options. There are really a few categories completely missing:

High quality staples aimed at "trendier" people
Minimalist clothing (apparently plus sized means awful patterns and I am no print hater but many suck)
Natural fabrics (almost all clothing these days is made of low quality synthetics, and brands that are making other fabrics have few sizes)
Made in the USA
Stylish professional clothing

I really don't like to get plus sized tops. They really have the most horrible cuts. So many are really really long - mid thigh. I don't want every top to be a tunic. And there are few shapes. Basically all are either a drape neck or shapeless tunic. The arms don't fit. The shoulders are too wide. They are never fitted at the waist or torso.

Talbots clothing is really mature. Eileen Fisher is high quality but shapeless. Torrid quality is generally horrid. Department stores are hit or miss innthat section, stocking clothing for people 30 years older than I am.

For trendier ladies, check out Rachel Roy's line. I find the fit is really weird but she has some cute stuff. Available at Macy's and other department stores. ASOS has great options, albeit quality varies. It does fill the niche that The Limited used to. And Forever21. In a great range of sizes 0-26 give or take. I have yet to order from Universal Standard but these are super modern clothes in sizes 10-26. My friend ordered 2 dresses. She thought it was pricey, but she fell in love instantly and wears them at least weekly.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:46 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I know what you mean about Talbot's. They went from dowdy, to trendy, to dowdy again, but if you are like me and are right on the edge between M and Plus, it's nice to be able to try on the same pair of pants in 18 and 16w in the same store. Since my top is always a 14 or 16, I can get a whole outfit, even if I'm switching between sections.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Christopher & Banks yet. The quality is a bit questionable, but it is inexpensive, and I can usually find something there.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:37 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Eshakti, an online shop, makes pants and dresses to your measurements, and you can fully customize length, arm style, and neckline on all of their dresses. Their shirt selection is lacking IMO, but they have some cute dresses.

I bought a couple of dresses from them and they seem to be good quality, and fit perfectly.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know what you mean about Talbot's. They went from dowdy, to trendy, to dowdy again, but if you are like me and are right on the edge between M and Plus, it's nice to be able to try on the same pair of pants in 18 and 16w in the same store. Since my top is always a 14 or 16, I can get a whole outfit, even if I'm switching between sections.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Christopher & Banks yet. The quality is a bit questionable, but it is inexpensive, and I can usually find something there.
I do like that talbots has the same stuff on both sides. I had a fairly conservative period in my 20s, and I had to dress up for work. I could never find a well fitting blazer. I grabbed a few pencil skirts, but realized that they were too Nancy Regan for me (and my age). They were always more straight than pencil. Same with dresses there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Eshakti, an online shop, makes pants and dresses to your measurements, and you can fully customize length, arm style, and neckline on all of their dresses. Their shirt selection is lacking IMO, but they have some cute dresses.

I bought a couple of dresses from them and they seem to be good quality, and fit perfectly.
I am the queen of dresses, and wear them 5x a week. EShakti is a great concept. But I could use more separates. I have a wishlist of a couple of blazers and cigarette pants. Still looking. I like basics with interesting details and that is really hard to find.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:16 PM

711 posts, read 688,378 times
Thank you for mentioning EShakti Jade408. I'm sort of between large/XL in misses and 1x in plus. I like that I can get their styles in either sizing.

The plus size clothing issue is one reason I really like Tim Gunn and have always liked Christian Siriano too. I'll admit that some of the designs he does sort of leave me scratching my head but I do like some of his styles. The biggest thing I like about him though is that he doesn't think plus sizing is a big whopping deal. Other people and publications have made a big deal about it - but in an article I've read he simply wants to design for ALL size women.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
Thank you for mentioning EShakti Jade408. I'm sort of between large/XL in misses and 1x in plus. I like that I can get their styles in either sizing.

The plus size clothing issue is one reason I really like Tim Gunn and have always liked Christian Siriano too. I'll admit that some of the designs he does sort of leave me scratching my head but I do like some of his styles. The biggest thing I like about him though is that he doesn't think plus sizing is a big whopping deal. Other people and publications have made a big deal about it - but in an article I've read he simply wants to design for ALL size women.
I love that too! I don't understand why it is apparently crazy talk to just make clothes that fit the "average" size woman. If most people are wearing 14, 16, 18, 0r 20, why not just make clothing in those sizes?

There are still way too many people who think you apparently should only be able to wear ugly, unstylish or "functional" clothing until you are small enough to fit in "regular" sizes.

It is definitely better than it used to be, but we still have a ways to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty