Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:52 AM

525 posts, read 660,079 times

Advertisements

I went today to a Macy's. I found a pair of Converse I wanted, then continued to look around and found a shirt as well. I took both back to the shoe counter to check out. The girl at the shoe counter said she couldn't check out the shirt, and couldn't remove the security tag. But I also couldn't take the shoes to another counter to check out; I had to pay for those there. So I bought neither.

I ended up buying the things I wanted at other stores.

I also could have simply come home and purchased the original shirt and shoes online at Macy's, but if they are going to make it difficult to BUY things in person, why bother giving them the money when I can purchase the things I want/need from stores that don't make it difficult? I have pretty much decided I won't bother shopping in person there anymore, I can just do it all online.

These stores sell/rent their floor space to these retailers, and even though its IN the stores, they cannot ring up each others items. So why bother shopping at the big department store? I can simply go to the retail shop and buy the things I want. Its like they've become Walmart, with a McDonalds and a Starbucks inside. Don't walk to the shoe counter and order a latte, and don't try to ring up your Big Mac in small appliances. But worse because it's less obvious these are independent retailers that simply happen to share floor space. The shirt I found was RIGHT ACROSS from the shoes.

Even smaller stores have issues. Why do I want to go into a store to be accosted by 3 different salespeople to tell me about the same damn sales and new items that the last one told me about? I can read, and I know to ask for help if I need it. Let me shop because you are annoying and making me not want to buy things from you. Sure greet me, but once you launch into your "I'm reading from a script and not actually acknowledging that you just told me you already heard what I am repeating like a Mina Bird" you've lost me.

And I also hate walking into stores where they have the music on SO LOUD you can't even hear the 3 different salespeople accosting you. A&F, I am avoiding you in particular.

/rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 12:00 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,702 times
I agree! I've had this happen from time to time, and I figure if they don't want my money, I'll find another store that does with less hassle. It shouldn't be that hard to set up the registers, so that the customers can bring their selections to ONE register to be rung up, and still be able to give credit to the proper departments based on the barcode/scan tag on each item.

Last edited by Gretchen963; 02-04-2017 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-04-2017, 01:10 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Other than products in cases (like cosmetics and jewelry), I've never had problems in Macys paying for merchandise at any register.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:26 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
OP, I haven't run into that problem at Macy's. If I have a few items from different departments, I always ask the salesperson if she can ring everything up together, and I've never been told "no". Some Macys have a centrally-located all-purpose checkout stand, as well, that can handle anything. It's possible that some Macy's are operating on an outdated system, and haven't been reorganized...?

I think Macy's is the best of the lower-cost dept. stores; they have the best and most frequent sales, and the best quality and most stylish designs of the cheaper tier of stores. I'm sorry to hear that some of their stores have customer-service problems.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:33 PM

525 posts, read 660,079 times
I don't know why either. But they lost a sale over it.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Other than products in cases (like cosmetics and jewelry), I've never had problems in Macys paying for merchandise at any register.
Neither have I. Finding a staffed register on the other hand can be a challenge.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:50 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,679,759 times
It hasn't happened to me - yet - but I think it's moronic for any store to do this. In today's world people want to save TIME, and I would be very displeased if I had to hang around from register-to-register. What I do find in contradiction is being asked if I need help when I don't need it, but can never find floor staff when I do need it.

I can relate to the loud music, though. A coffee shop that I like tends to do this, and it interferes with anything I'm trying to hear through my headset. I've stopped taking my laptop there.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:54 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Macy's doesn't have the machine to remove security tags from clothing - understandably so - and the shoe people get paid commission/have to make sales goals. What was the big deal about paying for the items in the departments you shopped for them in?

Old 02-04-2017, 02:18 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I hardly ever go into department stores because they all have the same things in the same sizes, and hardly any of it fits me. I am a bundle of aberrant sizes, so I shop online.
I also hate how hot they keep the stores. Here in the south, it seems like if the temperature goes below 60 they crank up the heat.
As far as OPs complaint. It is normal to pay for something in the department where you get it. Macy's isn't Walmart.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:38 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Macy's doesn't have the machine to remove security tags from clothing - understandably so - and the shoe people get paid commission/have to make sales goals. What was the big deal about paying for the items in the departments you shopped for them in?

I would guess time constraints and having to go through the check-out procedure more than once? J.C. Penney's has now implemented the Wal-Mart type check-out. The last time I was there I waited 30 minutes from the time I got on the line till I got to the cash register. If I hadn't spent so long picking out my merchandise I would have put it all back and left.

The last time I was in Macy's buying clothes for my granddaughter I waited so long in that department without a salesperson in sight that I called the store and asked them to send somebody down to ring up my purchases. Now that most stores only care about stockholders and profits, customer service has become non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty