Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 03:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,390,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think at least some of Macy's clothing lines are upscale, but with their home goods they are decidedly lower cost/perceived quality. In my opinion.
Oh, probably. I've bought dishes there, but no other home items. I buy clothes, jewelry, shoes there. The store I frequent is in an upscale area, so maybe they have better merchandise than some other locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I've never liked large department stores like Macy's because it takes me so long just to find my section. Whereas I can go to a smaller store like Gap and Old Navy, even Target, and find my section right away. And I can never find anything that interests me in Macy's either.

What I can't understand is people buying clothes online, especially women's clothes. Women's clothes need to fit exactly to your body, and you can't try it on online, so why do people buy clothes online? The only time I've ever bought clothes online is when I know that I can return them to the store.
I like department stores because I can shop for a variety of items at one time--clothes, shoes, jewelry without having to go to lots of little shops. Plus, Gap and Old Navy have clothing for younger people than me!

Old 02-06-2017, 03:11 PM

So are many of you looking for high end designer clothing? I'm not really willing to pay $100 for a simple tee top. I also like Steinmart for some clothing.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:26 PM

525 posts, read 662,071 times
I will shop discount. I also shop second hand. However I had to be in the mall for another reason (picking up a ship-to-store Ipod), I have a Macy's credit card, and I needed a dress for an event that night. And I love to shop.

It is fully possible that I simply encountered an extremely lazy clerk. It is more possible that now Converse has a franchise within Macy's much like the Sunglass Hut does. I wouldn't ask for a $500 watch and then wander about looking at dresses. But if I have a dress I found, and then want to buy a watch, why can't I check-out there? That's as ridiculous as my original post about requesting a Latte in shoes. This shirt was right across from the shoes, and aside from the fact that there seemed to be 2 people staffing the area (should have been a clue based on other posters' experiences at Macy's) there was no reason to believe that this was anything other than a normal check-out area. I can buy Inc and Ralph Lauren, and then wander to Lucky Brand's area to check-out. Either way, I fully intend to post a review on Macy's about the experience and wish them well on closing that particular location.

There is a breakdown in customer service in a fundamental sense. No one wants to work for money anymore, they want the money, but not more work.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:52 PM

8,081 posts, read 4,759,280 times
Quote:
There is a breakdown in customer service in a fundamental sense. No one wants to work for money anymore, they want the money, but not more work.
Often, there is a breakdown of communication and understanding between the folks in their logistics/operation offices and the store-level employees. The concept of having X merchandise only purchased at the X register might work wonderfully on paper to the operations supervisors. It helps them with their formulas and models, and gives the CEO the idea that they (operations) is helping streamline the company and allow a "paper trail" of productive employees and departments. Unfortunately no one in Ops or the Executive suites bothered to ask the store-level employees if this is a cumbersome strategy that inconveniences them or--most importantly--their customers. Too often, people get so high up into the hierarchy of a retail operation (the "Ivory Tower") that their convenience is often viewed as more important than that of the customer, a mistake that has killed many retail operations over the years.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,224,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Oh, probably. I've bought dishes there, but no other home items. I buy clothes, jewelry, shoes there. The store I frequent is in an upscale area, so maybe they have better merchandise than some other locations?
That is possible.

I do look at handbags at my local Macy's. They definitely gave nice handbags

Old 02-07-2017, 04:40 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,905,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
...What was the big deal about paying for the items in the departments you shopped for them in?
The "cause" is meaningless when the "effect" is loss of sales.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:03 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,084,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Nowadays, salespeople are pushed to sell, sell, sell for commission...and to keep their jobs. Additionally, they're being encouraged to offer "better customer service" both for "customer satisfaction" and loss prevention purposes.
It's really not about commission for a lot of places. I guess it varies from place to place but our commission is literally .25% of what we sell. It's more about meeting the standards they set so you keep your job. We have 6 of them, sales and credit being two. You will get fired if you don't get meet your credit standard (1 a shift for us) or any of them really. They tell us to ask each guest at least 3 times. It's pathetic and annoying for customers..I hate it

Old 02-08-2017, 06:37 AM

1,347 posts, read 948,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Often, there is a breakdown of communication and understanding between the folks in their logistics/operation offices and the store-level employees. The concept of having X merchandise only purchased at the X register might work wonderfully on paper to the operations supervisors. It helps them with their formulas and models, and gives the CEO the idea that they (operations) is helping streamline the company and allow a "paper trail" of productive employees and departments. Unfortunately no one in Ops or the Executive suites bothered to ask the store-level employees if this is a cumbersome strategy that inconveniences them or--most importantly--their customers. Too often, people get so high up into the hierarchy of a retail operation (the "Ivory Tower") that their convenience is often viewed as more important than that of the customer, a mistake that has killed many retail operations over the years.
Totally agree with this. This is why I find it hard to get mad with the store associates - most of them are hand-cuffed by ridiculous policies dreamed up at the corporate office by people who have no clue how things really play out on the front lines. And conveniently, there is not really a pipeline to complain to the actual decision makers, because they aren't the ones answering complaints sent to the home office either.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I would guess time constraints and having to go through the check-out procedure more than once? J.C. Penney's has now implemented the Wal-Mart type check-out. The last time I was there I waited 30 minutes from the time I got on the line till I got to the cash register. If I hadn't spent so long picking out my merchandise I would have put it all back and left.

The last time I was in Macy's buying clothes for my granddaughter I waited so long in that department without a salesperson in sight that I called the store and asked them to send somebody down to ring up my purchases. Now that most stores only care about stockholders and profits, customer service has become non-existent.
I do most of my shopping at Walmart (at least IN a store). There's a farm store with clothes I look through when they're on sale, but my clothing needs are pretty simple. But when I go to Walmart needing food, paint, clothes and shoes, plus something for the tv, it all goes in the cart together, and it all gets put in one total. If they wanted me to check out multiple places, I'd go home and order all but the food from Amazon.

I see no discernable reason why a mall store can't do the same, especially since its all scanned by code and they can keep track of that very easily. I'm probably 'cheap' but when I've been in 'high end' sort of stores I just look at the price and put it back because NO clothes are worth that much.

I'd really much rather find a good thrift store and get clothes which won't fall apart in a month too. Or those boots (I kinda sorta have a fetish about boots) which looked so much fun when you bought them but after a while you wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty