Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 06:29 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Thinking not just for the current interview but into the future it might be useful to find a blazer that fits you. A blazer that makes you feel like a linebacker or prevents you from raising your arms is a bad choice for you, not a signal that all blazers are bad for you.
I agree with this. The key is getting one tailored to fit your body. It's rare that I can buy a blazer off the rack and have it fit correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 06:36 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
Your choice of outfit sounds absolutely fine. Good luck to you!

BTW, If you're going for an interview on a Saturday then this company may be even more "business casual" than you expect.

I live near a call center (customer service for a repair company). I've seen people wearing PJ's and slippers into the office. And no, it wasn't Halloween.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I'm totally with you on blazers! I never feel like I can move my arms in them. I'm not a sweater girl, so while a button cardigan sounds fine, I would probably opt for an unstructured neutral separates jacket or cascade open front cardigan but with no buttons, just looks a tad more like a jacket, to me. I still feel like a separates unmatched jacket is appropriate for interviewing. Something like these below. The last 2 are bold colors but can still work if your other pieces are neutral. If you're a thrift shopper, it shouldn't be hard to find something like these in a good sized city. If you choose to go with something like this, I'd personally do a scoop neck shell blouse, rather than a button down. Good luck!

http://www.micromeadow.co.uk/images/...t%20regret.jpg

or this in a neutral color

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...0f1ab05b66.jpg

or this

https://www.chicos.com/Product_Image...put-quality=85

or this

https://item2.tradesy.com/images/chi...203&height=307
This style is not interview appropriate IMO.

I think a tailored cardigan is, although I prefer a shell rather than a collared blouse.

And you should get a classic, solid color suit that fits and is flattering and comfortable, not a blazer. You don't have to wear it to work if the dress code is more casual, but it should always be hanging in your closet, cleaned and pressed and ready to go if you have an important meeting or an interview. There are many suits now that have a bit of stretch in them and are much more comfortable.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Thank you everyone for the tips and well-wishes . I'm all set

Old 02-24-2017, 10:32 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Good luck, Ms. Let us know how it goes. I think the skirt and low heels are feminine yet professional.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
My suggestion is have one big handbag for all your stuff...for things like glasses, wallet, keys, sunglasses, phone, filefolder with resume, etc. Nothing sends the message "I am so flipping disorganized" like loose junk.

Also remember to turn off your phone ringer before you go in the building. And, of course, do not chew gum. If you wear perfume make certain to use a light hand. I think nude nail polish is sharpest.

I think you outfit with skirt & pumps will be fine. I am fond of wearing one statement piece of jewelry or a just a big watch. But a classy hairclip could be your statement piece. There are some great ones available right now.

Good luck.
I agree with everything, including the nude nail polish, except for the hair clip, which I think is a bit juvenile. Remember that you don't know who will be interviewing you. It could be someone 20 years older than you.

However you dress for the the big day, remember that you want the interviewer to look at your face.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:45 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree with everything, including the nude nail polish, except for the hair clip, which I think is a bit juvenile. Remember that you don't know who will be interviewing you. It could be someone 20 years older than you.

However you dress for the the big day, remember that you want the interviewer to look at your face.

Definitely skip the hairclip, or anything else in your hair.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This style is not interview appropriate IMO.

I think a tailored cardigan is, although I prefer a shell rather than a collared blouse.

And you should get a classic, solid color suit that fits and is flattering and comfortable, not a blazer. You don't have to wear it to work if the dress code is more casual, but it should always be hanging in your closet, cleaned and pressed and ready to go if you have an important meeting or an interview. There are many suits now that have a bit of stretch in them and are much more comfortable.
Yes, when I think of "tailored cardigan" that is interview appropriate, I think more of this:

https://goo.gl/images/2uxdSb

Or

https://goo.gl/images/xnWtyp

Old 02-24-2017, 02:08 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
Hope your interview went well!

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago, and blazers are horrible on me as well. I'm short, with wide shoulders and short arms. But I wanted to step up a bit for the interview, my usual dress is a collared shirt with cardigan. I normally thrift shop, but that was a bust (hee!), and so I had to hit the "real" stores. I found an unlined, knit blazer-y sort of jacket. More structured than a cardy, but not restrictive like a blazer. That one store had a selection, they must be a thing. I have doubts about durability, but at $26 on sale, it was worth it for whatever I'll get out of it.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:19 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
You can't go wrong with plain skirt knee length and white buttoned long sleeve blouse. You just can't. No flashy jewelry, tidy hair. Glasses always add some intelligence to look. No purses. Notebook in leather case.
I wouldn't take cell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty