Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 07:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There are so many suggestions here. I agree that some derms just want to sell you overpriced garbage that does nothing for you. Diet may help, (I agree that proper hydration helps a lot) oral prescription creams and antibiotics may help, and for those really hard core acne sufferers, Accutane may be something to consider. But only do that as a last resort, because it has a lot of bad side effects.
One of my kids used Accutane and it really cleared up a bad case of cystic acne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:44 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If I used alcohol on my face, it would be a mess.

Yes, if you have sensitive skin, then rubbing alcohol probably isnt the treatment for you.

I'm not trying to convert anyone. In fact, every time I post about it, I get negative kickback. The only reason I continue to mention how much it helped me is that I always get DMs from people, telling me they tried it and, OMG, it worked so well for them. I presume they're afraid to post publicly because they've seen the unpleasant responses I've gotten.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:57 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post

Yes, if you have sensitive skin, then rubbing alcohol probably isnt the treatment for you.

I'm not trying to convert anyone. In fact, every time I post about it, I get negative kickback. The only reason I continue to mention how much it helped me is that I always get DMs from people, telling me they tried it and, OMG, it worked so well for them. I presume they're afraid to post publicly because they've seen the unpleasant responses I've gotten.
Well, people shouldn't be mean to you, but honestly alcohol is considered a skin irritant.

Most advice is to avoid it in any and all products that go on the skin.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If I used alcohol on my face, it would be a mess.
Same here. My skin is too dry for alcohol and witch hazel.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:40 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Same here. My skin is too dry for alcohol and witch hazel.
Mine is oily and sensitive, which isn't uncommon at all. I also have mild Rosacea. Rubbing alcohol would be the end of me. My face would be an angry red color.

Here are some facts about alcohol and skin. Alcohol weakens skin.

FACTS: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/alcohol-in-skin-care-the-facts

Old 04-06-2017, 12:03 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
...Here are some facts about alcohol and skin. Alcohol weakens skin.
FACTS: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/alcohol-in-skin-care-the-facts

That article was written by a company that makes skin care products. Of course, it's going to tell you not to use rubbing alcohol.

Here's a site where real women rate cosmetic items. In 21 reviews, rubbing alcohol gets 4.7 out of 5 stars:
https://www.makeupalley.com/product/...d-Brand/Toners

Edited to add that this will be my last post in this thread. As I said previously, I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm not going to break into your house bearing a cotton square dripping with alcohol and lather it all over your face while you sleep. But I pray that, for those desperate to cure their pimples/acne, it may be the miracle solution that it was for me.

Last edited by TFW46; 04-06-2017 at 12:30 AM..

Old 04-06-2017, 01:08 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
I have known a couple of people who used rubbing alcohol as a skin cleanser & it worked great for them. However, they were men, so I think they had tougher skin. For myself, as a younger woman with oily skin, I alternated between plain old witch hazel & an OTC product called Clean and Clear, which had 2% salycylic acid.

Now that I'm older, my skin is less oily & more fragile, so I cleanse with something gentle like Cetaphil liquid cleanser or Neutrogena & use an eye cream.

But if you're talking about serious cystic acne, all the topicals in the world don't help. This was the case with my daughter in her teen years. She actually required 2 rounds of it. This decision was not made lightly, but she's an adult now wih clear, scar-free skin, which without Accutane would not have been the case.

And everyone needs sun screen, male or female, young or old.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:48 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
That article was written by a company that makes skin care products. Of course, it's going to tell you not to use rubbing alcohol.

Here's a site where real women rate cosmetic items. In 21 reviews, rubbing alcohol gets 4.7 out of 5 stars:
https://www.makeupalley.com/product/...d-Brand/Toners

Edited to add that this will be my last post in this thread. As I said previously, I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm not going to break into your house bearing a cotton square dripping with alcohol and lather it all over your face while you sleep. But I pray that, for those desperate to cure their pimples/acne, it may be the miracle solution that it was for me.
Lol. Too bad you won't. The visual made me giggle!

Old 04-06-2017, 05:09 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
For my creams etc... I like anything by Shiseido. I figured if anyone knew beautiful skin it was the Japanese. Lol
I usually find random products of theirs marked down at TJ Max and Marshall's. As for cleaning I use good ole blue jar Noxzema. My grandma and aunts swear by it. I also use several of the facial cleansers that Trader Joe's sells. They have some with tea tree oil and others without any harsh astringents or chemicals,dyes,fragerences. They are affordable for anybody. Their anti oxidant serum is great, smells citrusy and their oil of olay copied moisturizer works well. Pick up some vitamin e oil and jojoba oil for eye makeup. Just got a new product yesterday. It's a argan and coconut oil facial cleanser. Their beauty products are naturally based and cheaper then the drug store. I even got some good mask there around Xmas. But when I splurge on masks, I admit ,Lush is my go to spot. Love the cup of coffee facial scrub mask. Real coffee bean grinds with agave syrup. Keep licking it off my face. ��

Old 04-08-2017, 09:15 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
After trying a wide variety of facial cleansers, I finally found what works for me: baking soda to clean, unfiltered apple cider vinegar as a toner. Both cut oil from my oily areas, but are gentle on my dry areas. I follow up with a light anti-aging cream and Nutrogena SPF 70 light weight sunscreen.

I do not know if this will help the OP's acne, but it's far cheaper to try than all the fancy stuff out there, and probably won't hurt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty