Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:21 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

I wear a half slip whenever I wear a dress or skirt, unless it's lined. I'm not crazy about the fabric of my dress clinging to my legs or riding up - the slip prevents that.

I have them in about a half dozen colors, in cotton and nylon, and in two or three lengths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I thought only the super religious like Jeohovas Witnesses and Duggar family type women wore slips.
Obviously you know nothing about women, fashion or women's fashions ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 05:44 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times
Wow! I'm glad I came upon this thread- I actually forgot about slips but I think I have a couple in my drawer that should fit my now that I've lost some weight- should help with some of my clingier dresses that are not lined. And I never heard of slip shorts- but I am going to try some of those!

Old 04-05-2017, 05:55 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
My mom was the kind of woman who would wear underwear, panty hose AND a slip when she'd wear a dress.

I always hated having so many bands of elastic around my waist, so I was in the habit of wearing panty hose under dresses...and that was it.

One day, I wore a particular dress to work. It was flowy, and came down somewhere between my knees and ankles. A bunch of us were on our break, and I was standing kind of close to a revolving door.

First, a gust of wind blew the front of my dress up over my head. I quickly pushed it down with my hands, and in the process, bent forward a little bit. Then, a couple of guys (strangers) came through the revolving door, which created a bit of a wind gust, which pushed up the back of my dress.

I learned a valuable lesson that day. Wear SOMETHING under a dress you won't be embarrassed for everyone to see. LOL Believe me, everybody saw everything that day. I almost quit my job over it. LOL
I about swallowed my gum. How hysterical. What a want to die experience.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:06 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Obviously you know nothing about women, fashion or women's fashions ...
Nah, I beg to differ. Im pretty sure you'll find a LOT more slips in church than you would in the clubs/bars or restaurants. Also, I think you'll find a greater percentage of slip wearers to be in the high end of the BMI range as well.

But what do I who live in Los Angeles and frequent many fancy restaurants, clubs, red carpet events and movie premiers. Those are places where you'll find women who definitely DONT have their fingers on the pulse of what is in FASHION.

To answer the OPs question, at least from a guy's perspective on all the women he's ever dated, not a single one of them wore slips. NONE OF THEM!!

Old 04-05-2017, 06:14 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokki View Post
I recently lost some weight and last summer, I picked up some cute dresses to wear to work and wear casually. They looked great in the store, but when it came time to wear them, I felt a bit "exposed". What do you wear under a dress? Fabrics are so thin these days.
When I was young, my mom insisted on a slip. I don't think those are done any more, nor are they practical for a sundress. I bought "slip shorts" and used those, and they worked out pretty well, but I wondered what my options are.
Also, pantyhose aren't really a thing any longer, are they?
I won't buy the dress if it has thin transparent fabric.

As far as what I wear under it, well, underwear of course. I despise panty hose, I will only wear them to special events.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
But what do I who live in Los Angeles and frequent many fancy restaurants, clubs, red carpet events and movie premiers. Those are places where you'll find women who definitely DONT have their fingers on the pulse of what is in FASHION.
Do you frequently ask women what type of underwear they are wearing? If worn properly you would not know if a woman was wearing a slip or slip shorts.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:24 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Nah, I beg to differ. Im pretty sure you'll find a LOT more slips in church than you would in the clubs/bars or restaurants. Also, I think you'll find a greater percentage of slip wearers to be in the high end of the BMI range as well.

To answer the OPs question, at least from a guy's perspective on all the women he's ever dated, not a single one of them wore slips. NONE OF THEM!!
I am a woman in my mid-30s, and I have NEVER worn a slip. I literally don't think any of my friends have worn one either. I thought this died out decades ago, with pantyhose. I'm with you Kings Gambit... I had no idea.

I wear underwear under my dresses, thee end. If they're too sheer, I don't buy them. But, I generally don't have an issue with sheerness. I have about 15 sundresses and none of them need slips.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:34 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I am a woman in my mid-30s, and I have NEVER worn a slip. I literally don't think any of my friends have worn one either. I thought this died out decades ago, with pantyhose. I'm with you Kings Gambit... I had no idea.

I wear underwear under my dresses, thee end. If they're too sheer, I don't buy them. But, I generally don't have an issue with sheerness. I have about 15 sundresses and none of them need slips.
Agree. I'm in my early 40s and haven't worn a slip since Easter, 1978.

I also don't know anyone that wears them anymore.

They are pretty much extinct as well as pantyhose.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I won't buy the dress if it has thin transparent fabric.

As far as what I wear under it, well, underwear of course. I despise panty hose, I will only wear them to special events.
Do you not wear hose at all?

I haven't worn a dress in ages. When I wore dresses to work, I wore pantyhose. Now what is the thing? Without hose, I would think my feet would stick to my shoes.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:37 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
Quote:

I can't imagine thee would be a connection between slips and BMI. They aren't shape wear.

We aren't part of a conservative religious sect, the women in my family aren't large, yet we wear slips. Perhaps women on the West Coast are less likely to wear them. I remember trying to buy one in a brick and mortar store when I lived in LA, and I had trouble finding one.

They are great for dealing with sheerness and static cling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty