Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:18 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times

Advertisements

The cut of the shirt or pants are weird (can be fixed by alterations, most of the time), the fabric is not what you want, the color you want isn't available at all, you can't find the right shoes etc. Even in the expanse of the Internet and online shopping, it appears that choice is limited and customizing isn't available.
Do you just throw your hands up and leave the house looking terrible? How do you compromise, or improvise, when you can't dress as well as you'd like to? Is there a secret to clothes shopping that I'm not aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 03:40 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Find a brand that works for you and has the kind of quality you're looking for, and stick to that brand whenever possible.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:10 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17
Do you just throw your hands up and leave the house looking terrible? How do you compromise, or improvise, when you can't dress as well as you'd like to? Is there a secret to clothes shopping that I'm not aware of?
Yes NC17 .. I have a very hard time finding stuff I like today..... ITS ALL CRAP AND FEELS TERRIBLE!!

I usually wear the same thing for days (If I can keep them clean) as I dont have many things I like....... BACK IN THE 80s I LOVED ALOT OF MY CLOTHES!!!!!! (Good material,etc)

I wish people were not so messed up about nudity as I would gladly go bare!!! (Nothing sexual about it)

CLOTHES ARE NOT NATURAL!!

Old 04-30-2017, 07:46 AM

10 posts, read 7,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Is there a secret to clothes shopping that I'm not aware of?
I'm terrible at finding things I feel comfortable in, so, on the rare occasion I do manage to, I usually buy it in multiples so I have a back-up once the first item starts to get worn out. Can make for a limited wardrobe, but works for me

Old 04-30-2017, 08:00 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Have to jump in because that is so much my wife. She has a terrible time finding things that fit and look good on her body shape. Typical middle aged mother of two children. Seems most things are either designed for teenagers with bean pole bodies or 80 year old church matrons. Nothing in between.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Have to jump in because that is so much my wife. She has a terrible time finding things that fit and look good on her body shape. Typical middle aged mother of two children. Seems most things are either designed for teenagers with bean pole bodies or 80 year old church matrons. Nothing in between.

Yep - I have the same issue. Add to that the fact that I'm petite and it's really hard to find clothes that fit and don't look like they should be worn by little old ladies. I'm a young 62, normalish weight and unless I want to wear capris (which I hate on short people) or skinny pants I just stick to a few stores that work for me like Chico's, Talbots or Dillards. Even with these stores I have to go through a lot of racks to find something that meets the criteria I'm looking for because a lot of the clothes at Chico's & Talbots especially seem to be made for the senior citizen crowd. I love White House/Black Market but they don't carry petites in the retail stores and I hate buying clothes online. Most of the time I have to send them back because there is no uniformity in sizing either. I have clothes in my closet that are anywhere from a size 8 to a size 12.

Plus, clothes do seem to be made thinner and cheaper looking these days, doesn't matter if it's a $20 blouse or a $100 one or whether it comes from Wal-Mart or Dillards.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm hardly a bodybuilder, but my arms won't fit into a shirt I ordered online, although the rest of the shirt is just my size. A larger size would look too baggy, but the sleeves would fit. I don't know what kind of emaciated body type some clothing outlets reference when making their products.
If I didn't have arms, the shirt would be great!

Old 04-30-2017, 08:41 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes NC17 .. I have a very hard time finding stuff I like today..... ITS ALL CRAP AND FEELS TERRIBLE!!

I usually wear the same thing for days (If I can keep them clean) as I dont have many things I like....... BACK IN THE 80s I LOVED ALOT OF MY CLOTHES!!!!!! (Good material,etc)

I wish people were not so messed up about nudity as I would gladly go bare!!! (Nothing sexual about it)

CLOTHES ARE NOT NATURAL!!
This post doesn't surprise me one bit.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:48 AM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
It's why I generally stick to shorts and tee shirts these days (retirement is wonderful for the clothes closet). If I need something more formal, I make it. It's the only way to guarantee the material, color and fit are appropriate to my body shape.

Learning to sew was once a critical skill. Sounds like it should be again, if normal people want clothes that actually fit.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:51 AM

The reason why I thought of this topic: there's a pair of pants that I like, but the color selection for the specific make of pants is really strange. Their "blue" is more like purple, which is not what I want. You can resize clothes, but I don't know how to change the color of clothing (or how to make it look good at least).

Maybe I need to take up sewing/altering. My ex girlfriend was good at sewing, so I never bothered to learn at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty