Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:15 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,926,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't use deodorant either. I am very natural in my approach to hygiene and am not a fan of myriad lotions and potions.

Shampoo
Olive oil soap for the dirtiest bits
Shave (if needed)
Unscented moisturizer for my body (if needed)
Rose hip oil for my face
Lip balm
Blow-dry hair (if needed)

Takes about twenty minutes from the time I step in the shower to fully dressed and walking out the door. If I'm going somewhere special, I might put on a bit of eye makeup and lip gloss, but otherwise, that's the extent of it.
Olive Oil soap sounds intriguing. A crazy thing I came across at the dollar store are fairly large bottles of Oil of Life body wash. Bought one to just try it because of my dry skin. Felt wonderful and left my skin feeling very soft and clean. Bought several more bottles for stock pile and now on the last one. Hoping I can find more but we all know the dollar stores. This body wash does have a mild fragrance while actually using it but once rinsed off I no longer smell it.

Lotions are also very plain non scented mostly the Equate brand of Eucerine. Castor oil around my eyes and an almond oil on the rest of my face. No make up except lipstick because I am very fair skinned having been a red head and now totally silver.

I have no hair at all under my arms. It just went away. Very few hairs on my legs like maybe 15 hairs on each leg. We,doctor and I , think the hair loss was from my low thyroid and going with out the proper meds for many years due to no insurance for the proper testing needed for scripts.

I wash my hair and let it dry naturally throw a couple of those pink foam curlers in it over night to give soft curls and keep it from tangling so much when I sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 10:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
I'm a redhead, too, and my skin is very sensitive, so I avoid the irritating scented lotions and potions that take up so many aisles at Target. The fewer products I use, the happier my skin. The olive oil soap I mentioned in a previous post is unscented, and it lathers just like regular soap. It's available unpackaged at a local natural foods store. If you're familiar with Marseille soap from France, it's similar. I live at a high altitude, and the air is very dry, especially in winter, so I need a little lotion to be comfortable. Right now, I'm using Alba Botanica, because it was on clearance at my grocery store and deeply discounted. Lip balm is an essential, too, but I'm not picky about brand, and I sometimes make my own from a sweet oil and beeswax. Hair care is basic. It's mostly just wash, finger-fluff, and air dry. As a Coloradoan, I'm not unusual. It's the lifestyle. We tend to be pretty low-maintenance here, and I imagine it's the same in Idaho.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-26-2017 at 10:51 AM..

Old 09-26-2017, 10:25 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,565 times
I admit I 'overshower' but I just don't feel clean without 2 showers a day. When I lived in Savannah I had to spray Off/Cutter/bug repellant on me every time I stepped out the door. the sand gnats and mosquitos ate me alive... I still have scars on my legs & ankles from them. I had to wash that crap off before I could go to bed and I can't get my day started without a shower to wake me up. Even since I've moved to Charlotte - it's the same thing - but more so because the office I work in has no air conditioning and I SWEAT.... sorry to be blunt - but I do. I use moisturizing soap and skin so soft lotion to keep my skin from flaking, and yes the mosquitos still bite - just not everytime I walk out the door.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:43 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Sure, the normal amount, I guess. One shower, deodorant. 2 toothbrushings.

One thing I cannot tolerate is anything sticky on my hands. I don't mind something like plant soil, but in the course of cooking a big meal, my hands get raw from rinsing them so much.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:52 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I admit I 'overshower' but I just don't feel clean without 2 showers a day. When I lived in Savannah I had to spray Off/Cutter/bug repellant on me every time I stepped out the door. the sand gnats and mosquitos ate me alive... I still have scars on my legs & ankles from them. I had to wash that crap off before I could go to bed and I can't get my day started without a shower to wake me up. Even since I've moved to Charlotte - it's the same thing - but more so because the office I work in has no air conditioning and I SWEAT.... sorry to be blunt - but I do. I use moisturizing soap and skin so soft lotion to keep my skin from flaking, and yes the mosquitos still bite - just not everytime I walk out the door.
Oh Lordy, you ain't kidding. That's where I live. It's really kind of dumb, but I always shower first thing, then go out and run around getting sweaty. I should shower at night instead, or also.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:21 AM

22,859 posts, read 6,440,379 times
We try to always make sure we don't stink but I don't think we are paranoid. Both of us seeing a podiatrist I make sure our shoes, socks and feet are clean. Last time I went to Walmart there were three people, 2 women and a man who smelled bad when I walked past them, don't know if they knew it. Some people who say they don't bathe much because they don't ever stink might not notice their own body odor.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:30 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
The more one showers the more drying out of the skin. We need our natural oils. I'm much older and don't worry about showers like I did for years of working etc. We are somewhat paranoid here in the U.S. I take a good powerful antioxidant and think it helps with any "smells" of the body.

Plus I detest the chlorine and fluorides in our city public waters. Talk about itching and allergy to these.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:52 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,789,749 times
I use my pressure washer every morning out on the driveway. My husband hoses me down while the neighbors watch from behind their curtains. They think I can't see 'em, but I DO.

Then I carefully get rolled into the house on a hand cart. The stairs are tricky and my poor husband feels so bad when I tumble down the stairs and he has to hoist me back up, all wet and slippery, onto the cart. After the fourth time, we usually have to go back outside and repeat the power washing because I just don't feel springtime fresh anymore.

Next comes the "Fluff n' fold" step: an industrial leaf blower is used to dry my body and hair. It often knocks all the artwork off the walls, but we deal with that later.

Extra-strength deodorant is applied to every square inch of my human form, excluding the eyes and mouth, although sometimes I get the stuff in those places accidentally... then it's back out to the driveway to power wash again!

I brush, polish, buff, and sharpen my teeth.

And then a nice coat of shellac is applied evenly to my whole body. After I regain consciousness, I'm on my way! Off to weave some baskets!

(HA! SORRY! I just couldn't help myself. This was meant to be silly, not insulting, just so ya know. It was strangely interesting to read about all the different hygiene techniques that everyone utilizes.)

Old 09-26-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I use my pressure washer every morning out on the driveway. My husband hoses me down while the neighbors watch from behind their curtains. They think I can't see 'em, but I DO.

Then I carefully get rolled into the house on a hand cart. The stairs are tricky and my poor husband feels so bad when I tumble down the stairs and he has to hoist me back up, all wet and slippery, onto the cart. After the fourth time, we usually have to go back outside and repeat the power washing because I just don't feel springtime fresh anymore.

Next comes the "Fluff n' fold" step: an industrial leaf blower is used to dry my body and hair. It often knocks all the artwork off the walls, but we deal with that later.

Extra-strength deodorant is applied to every square inch of my human form, excluding the eyes and mouth, although sometimes I get the stuff in those places accidentally... then it's back out to the driveway to power wash again!

I brush, polish, buff, and sharpen my teeth.

And then a nice coat of shellac is applied evenly to my whole body. After I regain consciousness, I'm on my way! Off to weave some baskets!

(HA! SORRY! I just couldn't help myself. This was meant to be silly, not insulting, just so ya know. It was strangely interesting to read about all the different hygiene techniques that everyone utilizes.)
Hahahaha made me laugh. Thanks

Old 09-26-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm a redhead, too, and my skin is very sensitive, so I avoid the irritating scented lotions and potions that take up so many aisles at Target. The fewer products I use, the happier my skin. The olive oil soap I mentioned in a previous post is unscented, and it lathers just like regular soap. It's available unpackaged at a local natural foods store. If you're familiar with Marseille soap from France, it's similar. I live at a high altitude, and the air is very dry, especially in winter, so I need a little lotion to be comfortable. Right now, I'm using Alba Botanica, because it was on clearance at my grocery store and deeply discounted. Lip balm is an essential, too, but I'm not picky about brand, and I sometimes make my own from a sweet oil and beeswax. Hair care is basic. It's mostly just wash, finger-fluff, and air dry. As a Coloradoan, I'm not unusual. It's the lifestyle. We tend to be pretty low-maintenance here, and I imagine it's the same in Idaho.
humm more comes together in this post. We both have fragile red head skin and for those of you that do not have this tender skin you are blessed. The slightest thing can set off a round of itching burning stinging rashes like you would not believe. Thus the more gentle soaps. Nothing scented.

Another thing is both of us live in higher elevation and dryer climates than probably many here. My area is considered high desert. I have lived in this high desert area for the last 31 years. I love it here.

I absolutely shower as needed and always before bed unless I have come inside from a dirty yard work day and showered before I made dinner and four hours later just sitting in the house I do not need a second shower. Some times on really hot stick nights, which are rare I will jump in the shower and just do a rinse off shower no soap just so I feel refreshed going to bed. I hate being sticky in bed.

I too have walked by people that really do not bathe often enough. They do smell bad. It is offensive. For years after I stopped using deodorant I would ask my husband if I smelled and he would NEVER mince words because I was asking for his honest opinion. He would stick his nose right in my arm pit then say no. I would notice many times when hubby had even just showered he still had a little arm pit smell. Maybe because he had such hairy arm pits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty