Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:28 PM

343 posts, read 229,561 times

Advertisements

Don't know. I don't own PJs. I do have loungewear that I will keep on. I wear them to do all the housework that is never ending and to take out garbage, recycles, repair stuff around the house. I prefer them over denim unless I'm working on something where I need protection from getting cuts on my legs. But, I'd have to be on death's door to wear them to the grocery store. To go out past the curb I have to be in full dress. If it's clothing sold with the words "lounge" or "sleep" in the description that's what it's for- lounging or sleep.

I admit fully that I probably only think this way because I'm in my forties. Younger people wear this stuff everywhere. I remember seeing people wear pj bottoms to corner stores and groceries in the 90's and it drove me crazy but I'm over it now. It's still not something I would do. Still, in my neighborhood I could probably wear it out and still be considered dressed fine.

Exercise clothing is different. I used to run errands on the way back from yoga so I got over that but I was very self-conscious about not having real pants on at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 08:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
I'm a guy and I live alone. I walk around the house in my bathrobe all day every day - even sometimes grab the mail and roll out the trash bin in my bath robe. I've actually, at times, worked on remodeling projects in my bath robe and slippers.

Why dress? Unless I'm expecting company (rare) or I'm heading out somewhere I see no reason to put on clothes. You're just going to wrinkle them up, get them dirty, and have to wash stuff more often.

Cocooning is the best part of retirement - a bit boring I'll admit, but it's predictable and low maintenance.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 01-06-2018 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 09:07 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMartha View Post
In my opinion, it's a matter of cleanliness. Rolling out of bed and into the car (or worse, public transportaion) in your pajamas, running errands or shopping, then going home and rolling back into bed in the same clothes. It's just gross. Makes me question how clean your home is as well.
I didn't see anyone say anything about not showering. Or jumping back into bed in the same pjs.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:21 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,728 times
I can stay in what I call house clothes all day. I'll shower and put a clean set on if I'm not going out. They are usually old gym clothes I don't wear to the gym anymore. Gym shorts, t-shirt. I work from home a lot and some days I am in and out I will change out of whatever I am wearing even if it's just for a couple of hours before I have to go back out. I wanna be comfortable and, if the dog or cat jump on me I don't want their hair on my clothes. I find it amazing that neither one of them sheds a lot UNTIL they decide to lay on my lap.

Someone mentioned wearing PJ's out of the house to go shopping. I would NEVER do that. I'll change into something else. My house clothes are pretty worn out, that's why they became house clothes. Every now and then my SO will try to sneak out in PJ's to go to the store and I force her to change.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:23 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,848 times
Not retired yet but I've spent some days in a robe, nothing wrong with that. Going out (farther than the curb) in sleepwear is just trashy, no matter how old you are. Once I saw a young girl walking around the mall in pajama pants (literally bunnies on pink background) and she just looked slopy and ridiculous.

And I have a lot of respect for the older ladies who are at the grocery store in full makeup and with neat hair. They also seem to look more cheerful than the sloppy dressed ones, I notice.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:31 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
PJs are for sleeping, and you should get out of them by at least noon time. To wear them all day long, and go back to sleep in them? When did you shower?

Unless you are sick like a dog, but still, if you are sick like a dog, a nice warm shower will clear out some of the germs, and give you a boost.

Please get dressed already, their might an emergency, or a real need to go outside and get some fresh air.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:00 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times
I did that for years when telecommuting. I still stay in PJs at home.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:19 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Going out (farther than the curb) in sleepwear is just trashy, no matter how old you are. Once I saw a young girl walking around the mall in pajama pants (literally bunnies on pink background) and she just looked slopy and ridiculous.

And I have a lot of respect for the older ladies who are at the grocery store in full makeup and with neat hair. They also seem to look more cheerful than the sloppy dressed ones, I notice.

My husband and I used to own a skating rink and once every few months we would have an all night skate. The kids would start showing up at 7pm and a lot of the girls would have their pajama bottoms on.

IDK, I'm very cheerful when I go out and I don't wear makeup...but I also don't wear pajamas

Old 01-07-2018, 06:26 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
PJs are for sleeping, and you should get out of them by at least noon time. To wear them all day long, and go back to sleep in them? When did you shower?

Unless you are sick like a dog, but still, if you are sick like a dog, a nice warm shower will clear out some of the germs, and give you a boost.

Please get dressed already, their might an emergency, or a real need to go outside and get some fresh air.
Who said they were going back to sleep in them and not showering?

Old 01-07-2018, 06:32 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,314 times
I agree with the people who said it's a cleanliness issue. I shower at night and put on clean pj's. Ok, so you don't wear pj's to bed, then fine, but whatever you wear to bed--it's the same idea. Whatever goes between the sheets at night should be clean. I wouldn't run around all day long in my pj's (or whatever I wear to bed) then go to bed in the same clothes. That's disgusting. Also, aren't you totally naked under the pj's? Then how can you go out to the store with your private area hanging out down there under the pj's and doing it's thing in the pj's all day long? Gross. I also wouldn't go out to the store without a bra either.

I just think this type of behavior is immaturity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty