Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 11:55 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I agree with the OP, I wear what I want. To me, the "fashion and beauty" forum is about clothes, hair and makeup, not necessarily what is strictly in fashion, so I don't fault them for posting here.

I remember back in the 70's or 80's when suddenly it was fashionable to wear ankle socks with high heels. After DECADES of it being a major fashion faux pas, SOMEONE decreed it was OK and then lots of ladies wore them. To me that exemplifies the "stupidity" of fashion. See, I put stupidity in quotes so as not to offend anyone.

Just remember to take lots of photos of your latest trendy fashion looks, so your kids and grandkids will have something to laugh at.

This poster gets what I'm trying to say!

As I've said many times on here, I like being the devil's advocate/contrarian, not merely for the sake of disagreeing with others, but because most of the opinions I hold aren't considered "mainstream" to begin with, and I couldn't find them being spouted anywhere else on here, so I decided to post my 2 cents.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Why is any opinion or thought that's different than the norm so quick to be labeled "trolling"?

Are you insinuating that anyone who doesn't agree with the general consensus is a "troll"?

As if people cannot think for themselves and come to their own conclusions, as I have, and express them to others without being dismissed.

Already made a thread about that very thing i.e. calling someone a name thinking it negates everything they've said!

But wait! That's exactly what YOU do, to other people. YOU said that anyone who cared about fashion or trends had no substance. In ALL your topics, you are dismissive, challenging, and insulting. You've SAID you do it to be contrarian.

Look dude, if you're going to spit in a fan, expect to get wet.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
I realized long ago that "fashion" and "style" are merely marketing tools in order to sell more cloths, shoes and accessories and to exclude people who don't conform with what's "in" at the moment. We as humans are always looking to look down and separate others into "us" and "them", and in regards to fashion it is no different.

How do fashion trends start? Who decides what's "hot" and what's "not"? It's all arbitrary, subject to the ever changing whims of public opinion. Also, if you pay attention to history, things fall in and out of style/popularity all the time, eg. bell bottom jeans, cigarette leg jeans, baggy pants, skinny jeans, suspenders, etc, only to be re branded and reintroduced later as the "latest and greatest fashion" and I think it's all a load of crap.

I frankly see no reason to try and "keep up with the Jones's" with the latest styles and trends and find people that obsess over that sort of thing to be shallow, superficial people who just follow what's popular and couldn't think for themselves if they tried. Think of the stereotypical HS girl shaming one of her friends for wearing some that's "so last year" because that's the maturity level of those people. They're more worried about enforcing conformity and shaming those who go against it than being an independent thinker who can decide for themselves what they want to wear. In other words, people are FAR too worried about what others think and their impression of them.

I couldn't give a crap less if people don't like the style of clothing I choose to wear. I wear what I like, what's comfortable and practical for me, and have no desire to be "in style" or conform to current trends. Every single piece of clothing I own is at least 4 years old, with some upwards of 10, and I have no desire to buy new ones, the way I see it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If some shallow, empty headed person wants to call me "outdated" or "out of fashion" so be it, the fact that they're judging me solely on what I'm wearing shows they have nothing of value going on inside their heads and their opinion isn't even worth considering or taking seriously.

Let me say this, I have no problem with wearing "nice" clothes and attempting to be well dressed for a date, job interview, etc. I'm merely talking about people who care about fashion for fashions sake, worried about keeping up with the latest styles and trends more than anything else.

What do you guys think?
Nothing BS about it, and despite your thoughts, you still participate in it.

There is fashion, style, and fads; do not get them confused.

Everyone cares what others think about them to some extent in regards to fashion. The fact that you even get dressed shows this.

Plenty of my clothes are old, yet still in fashion and in style. You are getting these things mixed up with fads, which come and go and have a short shelf life, and makes someone look ridiculous when wearing it and the fad is out of style. For example; my 10 year old jeans from Banana Republic still look great, still look like the sames ones they sell now, that is style. A fad would be for example if those jeans were some stone washed, ripped ones that were in style at the time, but look idiotic now (until the fad comes again).

Old 03-27-2018, 02:24 PM

5,488 posts, read 3,929,244 times
I wear the same 3 or 4 hoodies nearly 24/7 for about 8 months of the year. One of them, featuring a PokerStars logo from the era when it was open to American players, has a little more sentimental value than the rest, but they're essentially all interchangeable black/navy blue hoodies otherwise. The other 4 months, if I'm not wearing some generic monochromatic navy blue or sand-colored T-shirt, I'm wearing the one shirt in existence that I genuinely like, having once bartered a pair of running shoes for it during college--it's this extremely light, extremely comfortable button-down white shirt from Korea that my college club soccer teammate got when he was living in Seoul. I liken the fabric (jokingly) to tissue paper--it's an awesome shirt for the summer. Best trade I ever made was to land the rights to that, lol--never seen another shirt quite like it. Which is starting to become a problem, because it's gradually wearing down, and I don't have any plans on travelling to Seoul at the moment.

As for the OP, then, I'm in near 100% agreement. I haven't bought an article of clothing outside of boxers/socks in my entire adult life (at age 31)--the rest are all gifts, mostly from parents but there are a couple hand-me-down hoodies from an older cousin and hand-me-down flannel shirts from my grandfather. (I guess I should here clarify that I obtained that PokerStars hoodie with frequent player points). Outside of that one shirt from South Korea, I don't care.

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 03-27-2018 at 02:51 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 02:39 PM

5,488 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
The irony is that trends are often started by people who don't give a flying f...
I started growing a beard in 2004 or 2005 (sophomore year of college) for this exact reason--I just didn't feel like shaving, and I didn't mind the way it looked. I'm not taking credit for starting any trends here, but we can at least say that beards were a lot less common 13 years ago than they are now, heh. I actually got a decent amount of opposition from certain family members for growing it, so between that and the unsolicited comparisons I've tended to get when I let it grow long (not all of which are flattering), I think plenty of people would've ditched it. But I (mostly) didn't care about what other people thought, so 13 years later, I remain bearded as ever.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:45 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
This poster gets what I'm trying to say!

As I've said many times on here, I like being the devil's advocate/contrarian, not merely for the sake of disagreeing with others, but because most of the opinions I hold aren't considered "mainstream" to begin with, and I couldn't find them being spouted anywhere else on here, so I decided to post my 2 cents.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
There's nothing really thought-provoking or devil's advocate about your rant though. Contrarian opinions aren't automatically thought-provoking and this is a prime example.

Last edited by Sunbather; 03-27-2018 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 04:17 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
I realized long ago that "fashion" and "style" are merely marketing tools in order to sell more cloths, shoes and accessories and to exclude people who don't conform with what's "in" at the moment. We as humans are always looking to look down and separate others into "us" and "them", and in regards to fashion it is no different.

How do fashion trends start? Who decides what's "hot" and what's "not"? It's all arbitrary, subject to the ever changing whims of public opinion. Also, if you pay attention to history, things fall in and out of style/popularity all the time, eg. bell bottom jeans, cigarette leg jeans, baggy pants, skinny jeans, suspenders, etc, only to be re branded and reintroduced later as the "latest and greatest fashion" and I think it's all a load of crap.

I frankly see no reason to try and "keep up with the Jones's" with the latest styles and trends and find people that obsess over that sort of thing to be shallow, superficial people who just follow what's popular and couldn't think for themselves if they tried. Think of the stereotypical HS girl shaming one of her friends for wearing some that's "so last year" because that's the maturity level of those people. They're more worried about enforcing conformity and shaming those who go against it than being an independent thinker who can decide for themselves what they want to wear. In other words, people are FAR too worried about what others think and their impression of them.

I couldn't give a crap less if people don't like the style of clothing I choose to wear. I wear what I like, what's comfortable and practical for me, and have no desire to be "in style" or conform to current trends. Every single piece of clothing I own is at least 4 years old, with some upwards of 10, and I have no desire to buy new ones, the way I see it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If some shallow, empty headed person wants to call me "outdated" or "out of fashion" so be it, the fact that they're judging me solely on what I'm wearing shows they have nothing of value going on inside their heads and their opinion isn't even worth considering or taking seriously.

Let me say this, I have no problem with wearing "nice" clothes and attempting to be well dressed for a date, job interview, etc. I'm merely talking about people who care about fashion for fashions sake, worried about keeping up with the latest styles and trends more than anything else.

What do you guys think?
Well, alrighty then!

Old 03-27-2018, 05:44 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Quote:

What do you guys think?
Agree 100%.

At some level, of course, this is a "to each his/her own" thing. OTOH, it's depressing to think of the resources wasted to produce replacements for apparel that's still perfectly good, but no longer the 'in' style or color.

And I'm retired, so no reason for me to wear anything but blue jeans and polos from here on out [unless I have to attend a funeral :-( ]

Old 03-27-2018, 06:04 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
I actually don't even own a dress or skirt. If I needed one I guess I would go out and buy one, but I don't see any weddings in my near future, and I think black slacks and a jacket would be OK for a funeral.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:11 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:

What do you guys think?
I think it is a bit interesting that you obviously spend time in the fashion and beauty forum as you don't care about it.

I was flipping stations in my car radio and came across a talk with the author of Corsets and Codpieces: A History of Outrageous Fashion, from Roman Times to the Modern Era. I ordered the book because it was an interesting talk about fashion/trends over the years.

It is not going away OP. You certainly don't have to partake if you don't want to.

I find it interesting to find trends come and go. I find it interesting that same things reinvent themselves every so many years. I find it fun to see some people with their updated bell bottoms. I find it fun to see every Generation has their own funkiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty