Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 03:10 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What do you guys think?
Why wound anybody want to respond to a long, hostile screed like this, filled with wild generalizations and reckless presuppositions?

You don't sound like you're actually trying to have a real discussion, and I don't understand why you're posing this here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 03:53 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Wow OP, it's a good thing no one MAKES you comment in the fashion forum, RIGHT? You really dodged a bullet! LOL
I think I'm going to go over to the sports forum and start a thread about how much I hate baseball. That seems like a great use of everyone's time, right?

Old 03-26-2018, 03:56 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think I'm going to go over to the sports forum and start a thread about how much I hate baseball. That seems like a great use of everyone's time, right?

I'm sure your post will be very enlightening to all the baseball fans. LOL

Old 03-26-2018, 04:08 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Sometimes you don't even realize you're "following trends", until you look back at your high school or college year book 30 years later, LOL.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Fashion is a matter of fads and trends, and it is often guided by the young. Style is how an individual presents her or himself to the world. In a way, we can’t avoid style because we make choices every day about how we dress and adorn ourselves. Even if you think you are against style, you do have a personal style. Whenever you make a choice about what you buy or put on your body, you are expressing some sort of style.

No one forces you to follow trends. It is easier to buy current trends, but you do have other choices, such as wearing what you already own, sewing something or buying from a thrift store.

Even a person who choose daily clothing randomly is telling the world about him or herself.

It is a free country, and no one is forcing you to follow trends. You may dress however you please, assuming you do not have to follow a dress code, or that you practice a modicum of modesty.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If you "couldn't give a crap less", there wouldn't be a 6 paragraph OP or even a thread to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Why wound anybody want to respond to a long, hostile screed like this, filled with wild generalizations and reckless presuppositions?

You don't sound like you're actually trying to have a real discussion, and I don't understand why you're posing this here.

I've thought this way for many years now, just never posted my opinion on fashion and style anywhere on the net or discussed it with anyone else, hence the reason this thread exists.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to say it here, but I figured my take on things would be out of the ordinary for a fashion forum and would provoke lots of discussion.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:47 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
I personally don't follow trends, but keep it traditional. My wardrobe gets replenished not replaced.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:57 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Sometimes you don't even realize you're "following trends", until you look back at your high school or college year book 30 years later, LOL.
OMG...the horror, lol.

As for the OP. Ehh...whatever floats your boat. The "fashion industry" is about creating a new trend to make money. I don't care what is in or not but everyone once in awhile I do happen to like something that is "in"

Old 03-26-2018, 06:41 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Do you feel better now, Jimmy?

Old 03-26-2018, 07:27 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I realized long ago that "fashion" and "style" are merely marketing tools in order to sell more cloths, shoes and accessories and to exclude people who don't conform with what's "in" at the moment. We as humans are always looking to look down and separate others into "us" and "them", and in regards to fashion it is no different.

How do fashion trends start? Who decides what's "hot" and what's "not"? It's all arbitrary, subject to the ever changing whims of public opinion. Also, if you pay attention to history, things fall in and out of style/popularity all the time, eg. bell bottom jeans, cigarette leg jeans, baggy pants, skinny jeans, suspenders, etc, only to be re branded and reintroduced later as the "latest and greatest fashion" and I think it's all a load of crap.

I frankly see no reason to try and "keep up with the Jones's" with the latest styles and trends and find people that obsess over that sort of thing to be shallow, superficial people who just follow what's popular and couldn't think for themselves if they tried. Think of the stereotypical HS girl shaming one of her friends for wearing some that's "so last year" because that's the maturity level of those people. They're more worried about enforcing conformity and shaming those who go against it than being an independent thinker who can decide for themselves what they want to wear. In other words, people are FAR too worried about what others think and their impression of them.

I couldn't give a crap less if people don't like the style of clothing I choose to wear. I wear what I like, what's comfortable and practical for me, and have no desire to be "in style" or conform to current trends. Every single piece of clothing I own is at least 4 years old, with some upwards of 10, and I have no desire to buy new ones, the way I see it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If some shallow, empty headed person wants to call me "outdated" or "out of fashion" so be it, the fact that they're judging me solely on what I'm wearing shows they have nothing of value going on inside their heads and their opinion isn't even worth considering or taking seriously.

Let me say this, I have no problem with wearing "nice" clothes and attempting to be well dressed for a date, job interview, etc. I'm merely talking about people who care about fashion for fashions sake, worried about keeping up with the latest styles and trends more than anything else.

What do you guys think?
Well...

You are the one that has to live with yourself 24/7. So you decide your style. Fashion, style, whatever. Ain't nobody have any business policing what you wear. They aren't wearing your clothes, you are.

I myself wear clothes that are outside of the norm and run the risk of being shamed for not being the typical person and conforming. I care...very little of what others think about what I wear.

I'm not going to be one of those "You don't care about fashion so why are you posting on the fashion subforum?" type of person. You should have that mindset when it comes to your clothes and other aspects of your life as long as you aren't hurting others. Do you, and be you.

The irony is that trends are often started by people who don't give a flying f...

I mean, nothing really new here. Kinda preaching to the choir here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty