Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:01 AM

669 posts, read 582,569 times

Advertisements

My tab is always around $100.00. I always give her $20 each time. She is very appreciative...makes me wonder who DOES NOT give her a decent tip. Yes, she is very good .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 09:15 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
I tip over 20% because I have very curly hair and my stylist never cuts it way too short. She does a fantastic job and is worth every penny.
can I have her name please as no one knows how to cut mine and I end up doing it myself haha.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
I always tip, of course, but I think I need to tip higher based on what some of you do. My stylist owns the salon and is awesome. She also has yet to charge me for cutting my toddler's hair. I think she's cut it 3 times in 6 months, won't take any money and says he's the easiest child she has ever worked on. I don't think she feels under tipped, but I'm definitely going to up my game.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 AM

50 posts, read 91,719 times
How about five minute Great Clips haircuts? Every time my son goes it is five minutes.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I always tip, of course, but I think I need to tip higher based on what some of you do. My stylist owns the salon and is awesome. She also has yet to charge me for cutting my toddler's hair. I think she's cut it 3 times in 6 months, won't take any money and says he's the easiest child she has ever worked on. I don't think she feels under tipped, but I'm definitely going to up my game.
If your stylist own her own salon, she is setting prices according to what she wants to be paid for services.

You don't even have to tip, so any tips you give are greatly appreciated, I'm sure.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I am usually the type to tip 20%, but I have been going to a place where my services run from 150 to 250 dollars and the time spent is pretty similar between these two prices. I'm cool with a 30-dollar tip for 20% of the 150, but when it stretches up to 250, I'm not so keen on a 50-dollar tip.

I go to the stylist every 4-6 weeks, so it's not like she doesn't make decent money off me.

She seems fine with around 30 bucks no matter how much we do to my hair. I'm sticking with it.

She likes to experiment and suggests different stuff that she wants to try. She and I have talked about tipping and reimbursement in her salon (she works in an Aveda salon) so I know the basic score.

I want to be fair and to show her I appreciate the work she does, but if we get much higher in price, and I get the feeling a larger tip is expected for an equal amount of time spent with me, I will just have to find another salon where the rates are a bit lower for what I have done.

I really would rather not do that.

She has told me she has plenty of people who tip 20 bucks every single time, no matter the price. She is fine with that... that's 20 bucks for 1-2 hours additional over what she get's paid, so it's a decent living.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:53 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If your stylist own her own salon, she is setting prices according to what she wants to be paid for services.

You don't even have to tip, so any tips you give are greatly appreciated, I'm sure.

Maybe that's why the free hair cuts for the kiddo

Old 07-17-2018, 11:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAEA View Post
How about five minute Great Clips haircuts? Every time my son goes it is five minutes.
I get my bangs trimmed at Great Clips in between stylist appointments (because I need a bang trim about every week and a half and sure as hell don't see my stylist that often). It takes about three minutes, costs $6, and I generally leave a couple of bucks. It seems silly to leave anything more for "snip, snip, done," in and out while the car's still warm.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:24 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I get my bangs trimmed at Great Clips in between stylist appointments (because I need a bang trim about every week and a half and sure as hell don't see my stylist that often). It takes about three minutes, costs $6, and I generally leave a couple of bucks. It seems silly to leave anything more for "snip, snip, done," in and out while the car's still warm.
Well that is more than 20% anyway!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Yeah, it feels chintzy leaving some change or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty