Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 08:18 AM

11,227 posts, read 9,858,076 times

Advertisements

Strangely, we stopped in at a favorite bakery out in the country and noticed an entire table of about 6 people, even the men, wearing tights or leggings. We assumed they were a group of cyclists, but when we went outside to leave, there were no bikes outside..????

Old 03-27-2019, 08:29 AM

3,675 posts, read 1,633,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Strangely, we stopped in at a favorite bakery out in the country and noticed an entire table of about 6 people, even the men, wearing tights or leggings. We assumed they were a group of cyclists, but when we went outside to leave, there were no bikes outside..????

At a bakery? weird
Out in the country? weird
Both the men and women? weird

This was on planet earth?

Seriously, if they were cyclists their tops would be cyclist form fitting jerseys of some kind, usually with reflective trim, etc. Where they wearing these?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:45 AM

1,347 posts, read 952,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You keep saying "people" but note: You don't see guys wearing them.

Are they really more comfortable than sweat pants?
Speaking as someone who owns both sweatpants (for at home winter wear only) and leggings, yes, they are. It seems counter-intuitive, but for me personally, bottoms that fit closely to the body (but not excessively tight) are more comfortable than overly loose bottoms. Leggings are generally made out of more comfortable material than sweatpants, and there's not that bulky elastic business around the ankle. Also, the waistbands are not so bulky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Why I'm seeing so many women wearing them when they are so shape revealing?
I feel like this has been answered 1000x in this thread, but comfort trumps appearances these days, and appearance standards have changed. Also, a lot of the judge-y types who have no problem expounding on their distaste in forums like this don't have the courage (or perhaps sense of entitlement) anymore to approach someone in person and say "lady, why are you dressed that way", so there's minimal risk of unpleasant confrontations.

I'm going to add another aspect that has not been addressed - cost. Leggings are cheap. Sure, you can find $100 leggings if that's your style, but many of them are $15-20 or less. I have several pairs of jeggings that cost me $15 each. Good luck finding decent jeans or pants for that (at a normal store, not Goodwill/thrift shop).

Old 03-27-2019, 12:37 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,957,437 times
Too revealing by far for my liking.

Ladies, keep a little mystery about your persons - much more intriguing that way!

Old 03-27-2019, 03:06 PM

20,457 posts, read 14,809,284 times
To the OP's question: The leggings and yoga pants I own, I like because they are very comfortable, they're nice fabric (feels nice to the touch) and when I look in the mirror, I like what I see.

But like many women, if I'm going out in public, I will have on a longer shirt. However, my purpose in that is not to conceal my bottom, but my front. I don't need it looking as though my lady business is on display even if sometimes it's just the way the fabric creases and it isn't THAT tight...if it looks it, well...anyhow. No.

I mean the flipside being that men should not walk around in the kind of little spandex briefs where they look like they're smuggling squirrels if they are out in normal public.

While I'm an advocate of making nudity more normal, I do think if people have an expectation to not be seeing what random strangers have goin' on downstairs, we could maybe keep that in mind when we get dressed to go forth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
...It does seem like the interest, here, is in the visible silhouette of women's bodies, versus innocent surveying about sartorial choices. Which is probably why you're getting the "it's creepy" comments. Nobody's saying it's unnatural to notice what others are wearing. Long, salacious, lingering gazes to women's backsides, no matter what they're wearing, is def. gonna get you branded a particular way, though, so don't be that guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The fashion details are NOT what is being noticed, here.
Yeah it got creepy for me when, in a thread where it started on the premise of "hey ladies...I'm not complaining..." when he did his secondary research expedition, he let us know he also checked out the little girl children. It got creepy exactly and precisely there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I like leggings. I think they make my legs look better. I’m not slim. My fave pair right now is probably my mossy olive green faux suede pair.

I generally prefer workout pants versions as they are thicker. They are a bit more casual than my day to day fashion aspirations but they are comfy.
OMG WHAT. I'm overwhelmed with leggings envy. I must find a pair of these olive green faux suede leggings. (I love fabrics that have nice textures like that.) Jealous. If you remember could you tell me what brand makes them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My issue with tight pants is that I think some women are becoming too comfortable with their bodies these days that even women who do not have very attractive looking figures are sporting thin tight pants.

Many guys like me are turned off when some woman wearing almost like pantyhose like pants over their thick underwear and basically you can see the color patterns on their undies and not a pleasant visual experience when it doesn't match everyone's taste.

I think most attractive women do not wear very thin tight pants, they would go thong or panty less and then have a jacket covering their behinds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Too revealing by far for my liking.

Ladies, keep a little mystery about your persons - much more intriguing that way!
Oh look. Men with opinions. Adorable. How dare we risk turning them off or failing to consider their need for a little "mystery", ladies... Goodness.

Hey, I know it's highly inconsiderate, but the only person's eyes I'm trying to please when I choose my attire, are my own. I know that men look and you notice. I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't--I'm not the eyeball police or the thought police. But come on fellas...get the ego in check a little. A woman feeling good about how she looks should always be more important than how YOU, a stranger, feels about it. And while thinking whatever and looking with your eyes is one thing, taking it to the point of demanding that we NOTICE YOU NOTICING like commenting or leering or worse, touching...that's way over the line.

Oh and I lost track of the post but whoever mentioned boot cut yoga pants...heck yes, I love them. I have a mineral wash pair made by the company, "T Party" with long fringe on the lower legs, they are the most comfortable things ever and they look great. I wear them with a long, form fitting tank top.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:17 PM

1,347 posts, read 952,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I mean the flipside being that men should not walk around in the kind of little spandex briefs where they look like they're smuggling squirrels if they are out in normal public.
:c rying:

Quote:
Oh look. Men with opinions. Adorable. How dare we risk turning them off or failing to consider their need for a little "mystery", ladies... Goodness.

Hey, I know it's highly inconsiderate, but the only person's eyes I'm trying to please when I choose my attire, are my own. I know that men look and you notice. I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't--I'm not the eyeball police or the thought police. But come on fellas...get the ego in check a little. A woman feeling good about how she looks should always be more important than how YOU, a stranger, feels about it. And while thinking whatever and looking with your eyes is one thing, taking it to the point of demanding that we NOTICE YOU NOTICING like commenting or leering or worse, touching...that's way over the line.
Agreed. When I'm out in public, I'm just trying to get stuff done. I'm not there to be noticed. I don't really care if you (generic you) do or don't like whatever I happen to be wearing, or consider too revealing or not revealing enough or whatever it is you apparently prefer. And if you think I do or should care, please get over yourself.

Quote:
Oh and I lost track of the post but whoever mentioned boot cut yoga pants...heck yes, I love them.
Me too. They are awesome.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:07 PM

7,013 posts, read 4,949,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Mesh on a woman I find attractive makes me emit these sounds....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Dh5HiN8Nc
You've got it backwards. These are the sounds a woman makes when you hit on her and she's telling you to back off. Ignore to your peril.

Quote:
My issue with tight pants is that I think some women are becoming too comfortable with their bodies these days that even women who do not have very attractive looking figures are sporting thin tight pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Yeah, that's the problem right there.
Yeah, too bad that's a problem for you guys. See this? 0

That's how many ****s I give for anyone's opinions of what I wear.

Quote:

Many guys like me are turned off when some woman wearing almost like pantyhose like pants over their thick underwear and basically you can see the color patterns on their undies and not a pleasant visual experience when it doesn't match everyone's taste.
This is just a suggestion, but I think you're overrating yourself a little here. Not every woman wants to turn you on. And being turned on by leggings on a woman's body may not exactly turn her on. For instance, if I had the perfect body and was wearing leggings and noticed you drooling, I'd probably tell you to go hump a watermelon and leave me alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Talking about how so many wear them out everywhere with their fat butts showing, and wearing TOO SMALL sizes with fat rolls spilling out. That was what I was referring to.
Leggings can certainly be an attractive look - I'm not disputing that.
Yep, that would be me, fat butt and all. Bite me.

Someone said leggings were cheap. They are and that's another reason I like them. And buy them and wear them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

These threads are the sort of thing that make me wonder what it would have been like having a CD forum back in the 20s, when women were shedding corsets for bras. I can just see the conversation as it might have happened.

Dave (born 1890): what's with all the women showing off their breasts these days?

Don (born 1845): I don't know, but it's sure not attractive. Maybe there should be a law!

Dave: Darn tootin'! Being able to see the shape of their breasts is distracting.

Don: Yeah, I just can't keep from looking and it's causing me problems in my personal life on account of I've never needed to use my manners and control what I stare at.

Dave: I wonder why women want to wear bras instead of corsets? Without corsets, their waists get huge. Why would any woman want to be that unattractive?

Rinse and repeat when women started to cut their hair, smoke, vote, shed girdles and wear mini-skirts, bikinis, hot pants, and jeans that were so tight you needed to lay down to pull them on...

Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 PM

88,890 posts, read 85,398,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
It's that roving band of homeless ballet dancers.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:59 PM

3,675 posts, read 1,633,635 times
[quote=Sonic_Spork;54792534]...

Yeah it got creepy for me when, in a thread where it started on the premise of "hey ladies...I'm not complaining..." when he did his secondary research expedition, he let us know he also checked out the little girl children. It got creepy exactly and precisely there.
[/qoute]

Here's what happened. I never even noticed these leggings before. I'm shopping at health food store near a gym and four women in leggings are near me. Now I notice. What the heck? Two women had leggings on so tight I saw the shape of everything.

Is it just this store near the gym? So the next day for the first time in my life I decide to NOTICE what women are wearing in my regular stores and I NOTICE, not glare. The first store I go in, there's one. And in every store, others. I stand in line to check out and a mom and girl are right in front of me. I NOTICE the girl has on leggings. Not very tight and not black, but kind of look like comfy pajama's, idk.

This trend will be generational.

To me even though they are shape revealing, they look like athletic wear, as if the woman just left the gym. So to me they don't come across as sexually provocative, obviously because they look so athletic.

So as I did my curious survey, it just so happened a mom and girl are in line in front of me.

And that's the truth. And it's not creepy to notice.

One lady here posted unclothed bottoms should be ok. Well, if that becomes a trend, I'm sure I'll be called a creep for noticing that too.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:39 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,692,346 times
I don't know what I could really add to this thread. However, my take is that I will not let my daughter wear skin-tight clothing once she gets near puberty (11-13). Once she turns 18, she can go naked for all I care.

I think men and women have completely different brains regarding sexuality. I'm not sure that women realize what passes through the brains of men most times. I don't mind obese women wearing leggings, I can look away. To somewhat attractive women who wear leggings, I don't really understand how you don't realize that there are men who are mentally violating you beyond your wildest imagination. To parents who allow their underage daughters to wear skin-tight clothing, I just really don't understand the thought-process behind that with everything you see in the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty