Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 08:39 PM

8,566 posts, read 4,821,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I travel a lot with work and I noticed this particular fad was very popular all over the country for the past few years but I think it has basically run its course at this point. Anybody still seeing, in the area where you live, people of any age rocking NON-HUMAN hair colors?

Pink, purple, green, lavender, blue, or white?

Or, 20-somethings sporting white hair as a fashion statement?
I remember seeing this start in my high school days, Bay Area, early 2000s. Usually a cute, almost subtle shock of pink, or a less convincing brunette roots/blonde combo if you were a “popular” girl. Of course the punk set wore whatever they wanted, and why not?!

I moved to a small-midsize city around that time in Texas. I saw the hair colors go non-human around 2010, about the same time a lot started changing here, a lot faster. My wife told me she saw this place about 10 years behind what she saw in her part of California where she grew up, and she was right. It’s a thing here now. I like it though I don’t find it super necessary.

Last edited by jcp123; 01-22-2020 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
French cuffs are BOSS!
I guess you have cuff links to wear with them?
Boss is the right word! I know of no man who looks worse in a French cuff vs. a regular dress shirt. I think I have about four or five pair of cuff links. I am a truck driver, so I don’t have much reason to dress up, even though a dressed up man is a great sight if he has the attitude to rock it.

Quote:
ABOUT WATCHES:
I think it was a couple of years ago that I was reading an article (I've forgotten where I read it) and found out that wearing watches is now a marker of age.

It's almost like a generational thing for adults above a certain age.

The article said that most young people - iGen / Gen Z - do not like watches nor wear watches as they keep up with time via their phone. Watches have lost their relevance due to smart phones.

I said "wow, I had NO idea I was dating myself as old school by wearing my watch. Oh well, too bad because I LOVE watches."

Just like collecting funky color socks which I still do, I used to collect different types of watches - which I stopped for some reason. I sill have about 6 watches but only two that I put in rotation regularly.
Yup watches are a bit anachronistic. As am I, at 35 years old tomorrow. People my age or younger go for smart watches, and although I ain’t gonna neg on them, they are kind of their own separate thing. I have a hard time articulating why I like watches - it’s not just more convenient for having date and time - but maybe it’s a bit like buying a coffee from Starbucks. It’s a small luxury, a bit of a fashion statement, but at the same time also practical, a little bit mechanical (sorta), and a little show of your personality and aesthetics. For me as a man, it’s also probably our foremost piece of jewelry.

If you want a bit of watch nerd stuff, gold watches are an even more specific marker of age than watches in general!

Old 01-22-2020, 09:40 PM

300 posts, read 149,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Boss is the right word! I know of no man who looks worse in a French cuff vs. a regular dress shirt. I think I have about four or five pair of cuff links. I am a truck driver, so I don’t have much reason to dress up, even though a dressed up man is a great sight if he has the attitude to rock it.

Yup watches are a bit anachronistic. As am I, at 35 years old tomorrow. People my age or younger go for smart watches, and although I ain’t gonna neg on them, they are kind of their own separate thing. I have a hard time articulating why I like watches - it’s not just more convenient for having date and time - but maybe it’s a bit like buying a coffee from Starbucks. It’s a small luxury, a bit of a fashion statement, but at the same time also practical, a little bit mechanical (sorta), and a little show of your personality and aesthetics. For me as a man, it’s also probably our foremost piece of jewelry.

If you want a bit of watch nerd stuff, gold watches are an even more specific marker of age than watches in general!
Interesting about the gold watches.

I enjoy the nice French cuffs - very classy. I have two pair and only occasionally wear them with Brooks Brothers or similar quality tops.

I'm in CA and I see the genZs wearing big classic clunky analog watches and on the opposite end, it's the genX-ers (my demographic) who mostly wear the smart watches. At least in my experience.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneThornberg View Post
Interesting about the gold watches.

I enjoy the nice French cuffs - very classy. I have two pair and only occasionally wear them with Brooks Brothers or similar quality tops.

I'm in CA and I see the genZs wearing big classic clunky analog watches and on the opposite end, it's the genX-ers (my demographic) who mostly wear the smart watches. At least in my experience.
That’s fascinating. I don’t know if you saw my previous post about hair and my neck of the woods being ten years behind Cali, but we will probably reflect that soon here with watches (hint: my parents wear smart watches). Watches as social commentary is kind of a good way to go.

What I can never stand are the big-face watches. Those things are obnoxious on their own. I’m a fairly small guy, so my wrists get inundated by even medium-size watches. I look appropriate in what would have been considered a ladies’ size watch up into the 90s.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:04 AM

11,124 posts, read 6,716,629 times
I guess my weirdness is no jewelry or piercings, no nail polish, no toenails, no high heels. Only one (utilitarian) purse that I rarely use.

I wear bikini tops under clothes instead of bras. No dresses or dress shoes.

Having no-no long hair for a retired gal.

No button type tops. No more sandals

It's kind of a negative list.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:23 AM

15,221 posts, read 10,387,232 times
I don't know if you would call it unusual but when I was in the working world and lived on Long Island my clothes for the week were picked out based on what color nail polish I was wearing. If I had on red polish, then my suits or dresses for that week would be red, navy, gray, black or cream. You would never catch me wearing red polish with a pink or coral outfit.

My bra almost always matched my top with matching underwear. Now 90% of my bras are beige so they don't show through anything and rarely match my underwear.

I hate jewelry if I'm not going out, even earrings. Oh, and I always have on toenail polish. I live in Florida where toes are on display almost all year. I think it looks odd to see a woman with open toed shoes and "naked" toes. The only time I think it looks nice is if the woman is tan and her toenails are very naturally white.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 01-23-2020 at 06:31 AM..

Old 01-23-2020, 06:31 AM

12,120 posts, read 8,516,941 times
Quote:
I remember seeing this start in my high school days, Bay Area, early 2000s. Usually a cute, almost subtle shock of pink, or a less convincing brunette roots/blonde combo if you were a “popular” girl. Of course the punk set wore whatever they wanted, and why not?!

I moved to a small-midsize city around that time in Texas. I saw the hair colors go non-human around 2010, about the same time a lot started changing here, a lot faster. My wife told me she saw this place about 10 years behind what she saw in her part of California where she grew up, and she was right. It’s a thing here now. I like it though I don’t find it super necessary.
I was just remembering last night that the original pink and purple hair crowd of my lifetime were the little old ladies of the Fifties!

Old 01-23-2020, 09:19 PM

300 posts, read 149,890 times
Quote:

so funny re: gold watches. I know a few of those stereotypes too. But as mentioned earlier, I recall frequently seeing genZs wearing clunky and flashy types. I just shake my head and say, we oldies are finally adopting technology "wearables" and now the kids are going backwards just out of rebellion. Dam kids! lol

Old 01-23-2020, 11:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,740,772 times
I always pull my hair back before eating.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:07 PM

20,843 posts, read 8,673,442 times
I have the expensive habit of buying multiple versions of the same item in different colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty