Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 03:49 PM

8,647 posts, read 4,858,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I agree with you regarding a well-dressed man. Too bad our culture is so casual because a well-dressed man is a sight to behold. The only time I see it on a national level is ESPN type networks and shows with pro-athletes who are now sports commentators or footage of the team arriving for a special event in their custom-tailored suits (the old Italian tailors used to do it best, not sure if anyone has surpassed them).
At any rate, ALL men appear to have swag when they're dressed in a well made custom-tailored suit.
Man, I hadn’t thought about that in a long time, but you are SO right that athlete-turned-commentators always seem to be the most dapper folks on television...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
OMG, analaog watches are coming back in fashion! Thank you Gen-Z! I always knew that there was something EXTRA special about your generation!!

Well, if its a fashion trend in CA now, it will become fashionable among the mainstream in the rest of the country in a few years.
Maybe. I worry that it’ll be a bit more superficial than I’d hope for, but then again, I’m certainly not going to make fun of anyone donning some horological jewelry

With any luck I will be picking up my first mechanical (not quartz movement) watch next time I am home. Everyone needs a bit of Seiko in their lives

Old 01-25-2020, 03:53 PM

2,925 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Default Wow, and the winner is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I guess my weirdness is no jewelry or piercings, no nail polish, no toenails, no high heels. Only one (utilitarian) purse that I rarely use.

I wear bikini tops under clothes instead of bras. No dresses or dress shoes.

Having no-no long hair for a retired gal.

No button type tops. No more sandals

It's kind of a negative list.
I wouldn't say it's a negative list.
Your list is not unheard of but I'd say it is rare, unusual.
Ding, ding, ding! Ladies and gentlemen, we may have a winner here!

Old 01-25-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Add me to the french cuffs club.

Adding to that, a slim fit and a spread collar with half windsor tie knot.... Definitely more rare than button cuffs, loose fit, point collar and four in hand knot.

Who wants to look like Dwight Schrute from The Office when you can look like 007....
Good for you! I admire men who are picky about their clothes.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't know if you would call it unusual but when I was in the working world and lived on Long Island my clothes for the week were picked out based on what color nail polish I was wearing. If I had on red polish, then my suits or dresses for that week would be red, navy, gray, black or cream. You would never catch me wearing red polish with a pink or coral outfit.

My bra almost always matched my top with matching underwear. Now 90% of my bras are beige so they don't show through anything and rarely match my underwear.

I hate jewelry if I'm not going out, even earrings. Oh, and I always have on toenail polish. I live in Florida where toes are on display almost all year. I think it looks odd to see a woman with open toed shoes and "naked" toes. The only time I think it looks nice is if the woman is tan and her toenails are very naturally white.
I don't like when my nail color conflicts with the color of clothes I'm wearing but I usually don't have the time to change the nail polish so I just go with it.

I am very much a bra and panties match type of woman. I have numerous solid color bras (PINK made print bras and plaid bras fashionable at one time but I was loyal to VS not PINK) and I have solid color and print undies so I'm able to coordinate them and wear. There are times when I'm running late and just grab some that doesn't match (very rarely though) when I get out of the shower. I'll wear them but I prefer coordinated "intimate apparel".

Old 01-25-2020, 04:09 PM

Default I remember blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I was just remembering last night that the original pink and purple hair crowd of my lifetime were the little old ladies of the Fifties!
I remember, when I was a kid, old ladies wear a blue tint to their white or gray hair. I haven't seen that in decades. Most of that generation has passed away. I guess the latest trend is go with your natural white or gray hair if you're not going to cover the gray by dyeing it back to its original color.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:15 PM

Default We're back in style but for how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneThornberg View Post
so funny re: gold watches. I know a few of those stereotypes too. But as mentioned earlier, I recall frequently seeing genZs wearing clunky and flashy types. I just shake my head and say, we oldies are finally adopting technology "wearables" and now the kids are going backwards just out of rebellion. Dam kids! lol
I've just read this recently: when the older crowd (age 25+ for the sake of this discussion although I know that the term "older" is subjective) adopts a trend, the younger crowd moves on to a new trend. Basically, a trend is dated / passe once its embraced by the elders, lol.

I"m sure it's always been this way, and those of us 25+ did the same thing in our time. It just seems different once you're on this side of the divide: no longer in the "young" category.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:21 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I have the expensive habit of buying multiple versions of the same item in different colors.
I learned it from a fashionista years ago. I do this with GAP denim jackets because I know I'll wear them until they're thread bare and they won't be in the store when I return so I might well as buy at least two from the start. I purchase multiple versions of quality bras and sports bras, too.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryleeii View Post
here's my "strange" fashion choices--

i wear what's comfortable and if you don't think i'm "fashionable"
well
lolol

Old 01-26-2020, 12:13 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,524,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I guess my weirdness is no jewelry or piercings, no nail polish, no toenails, no high heels. Only one (utilitarian) purse that I rarely use.

I wear bikini tops under clothes instead of bras. No dresses or dress shoes.

Having no-no long hair for a retired gal.

No button type tops. No more sandals

It's kind of a negative list.
Much of this applies to me (although I do have toenails, I just don't polish them). I used to wear bikini tops as bras, but I haven't for a while. Pretty much everything else fits me (although I will wear an occasional dress)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I always pull my hair back before eating.
Me, too!! I always have a hair band on my wrist for that very reason. When I've had to do special dinners (like during an interview process), I try to find a good hairstyle that keeps my hair up so I don't put my hair back at mealtime. I can't stand hair around my face when I eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I have the expensive habit of buying multiple versions of the same item in different colors.
When I find a shirt or sweater I really like, I'll often buy it in a few colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I leave the house every morning with wet hair, no matter how cold it is. Yes, sometimes it freezes. I have long hair.
When I wash my hair (not daily since my hair is really thick and dry), I also leave with it wet. It dries up all curly as the morning goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty