Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 08:44 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,595,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I'm not happy to say this but I've taken off all my nail polish on my fingers and toes. Since the salons closed I've been doing my own nails with base coat, color and topcoat. I know how to properly care for my nails and cuticles but the chipping and constant color upkeep was too much. I wear gloves when doing housework but I'm still washing my hands so much more now and the home nail polish (even ILNP) with the chipping that goes along with it just didn't work for me. I'll eagerly await the re-opening of the salons but until then, I'm just going to keep them color free and use a clear coat to protect them. At least if there are chips, they won't be noticeable. When the pandemic first started I tried glittery polish and it seemed to adhere longer than the matte polish but I really didn't want to wear sparkles every day.

Ita....I don't like sparkly nail polish. IMO personalities ought to be sparkly.........& not nail polish. I've been using a lot of muted & neutral colors since being stuck at home.

I haven't had problems with chipping with Smith & Cult but my nails are rounded & not too long. They advertise as chip resistant & I've been told on my channel feedback that it seems like to subscribers they couldn't chip it if they tried....

I'm getting kinda used to doing manicures myself.........I don't mind. It's pedicures that I miss tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 09:17 AM

12,056 posts, read 8,452,533 times
It's gardening time and that's always means that even with gloves my nails take a beating. I'll add again that a couple of coats of Sally Hansen Hard as Wraps is a super protectant. The best I've found.

But I have something else I do when I have a chore like gardening to do that works well for me. I tried the soap under the fingernails and that didn't work well at all.

Instead I put a thin layer of super glue under the nail. The secret word is "thin" so you don't want to use gel glue. Hold your hand over a newspaper, away from you and pointing down, palm up. Using a pointed nozzle put a very small drop in the middle where the skin and nail meet and using the nozzle spread it over the surface and toward the end of the nail. It will dry quickly so do one at a time, prepared to wipe up any mistakes quickly.

Any that accidently gets on the skin will come off in a day or so and any that gets on the top nail can be gently buffed off with a nail file.

This work-proofs my long nails. I don't know if there are health effects to this. Let's face it, any of the number of chemical formulas we put on our selves may not be good for us.

Some may rather not try it. But I've been doing it for a couple of decades with no ill effects.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:01 AM

5,404 posts, read 16,008,160 times
I really love Barielle polish. They have lots of colors, and their clear coat really protects from chipping and wearing. Hard to find in stores....I get it online.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:40 AM

439 posts, read 426,590 times
I have been using Zoya products for years. Lasts 10 days without chipping.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:05 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,542,382 times
Neutral by Butter London

Old 05-20-2020, 03:16 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,782,301 times
I did an ombre on my nails once and it was fun. Get two similar colors, one lighter, one darker. I did lavender and a darker purple. Get one of those makeup sponges and cut a small section off. Paint the lighter one on the first half of your nails. Take the darker one, pour a little out, take the sponge and dab the rest of your nails with it, overlapping a little bit of the lighter coat.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:26 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,409,151 times
I have to agree about OPI. Since I’m back to doing my own pedicures, I’ve noticed with OPI the polish isn’t as thick as the ones used at the salon. I applied two coats just as the nail tech would, and I can see my nail through the polish. I used a top and bottom coat as well. I’m assuming the salons use professional grade products for nails versus the consumer ones.

I bought Sally Hansen Gels. I haven’t tried them yet, but I’ve used SH in the past and was pleased with them.

I like muted colors. It also depends on what I’m in the mood for. For summer, I like more vibrant colors, like reddish-orangey to blues to greens. Otherwise, I like muted pinks, blues, greens and nudes. I also like a deep wine. I stay away from the sparkly colors.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:52 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,595,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post

I like muted colors. It also depends on what I’m in the mood for. For summer, I like more vibrant colors, like reddish-orangey to blues to greens. Otherwise, I like muted pinks, blues, greens and nudes. I also like a deep wine. I stay away from the sparkly colors.

Ita Jay on staying away from sparkly nail polish......it just seems cheap to me! I like vibrant reds & different shades of red year round tho.......it's a classic nail polish color IMO like shades of red lipstick.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:44 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,163,906 times
I favor OPI polishes for the quality of colors and texture.

For people with mobility issues, the Essie brand bottles have small stubby brushes that work better to brush on the polish in small strokes.

I'm middle aged so I noticed neutral and flesh toned polish looks better on my hands. Bright loud nailpolish colors are for the young, lol....

Old 06-25-2020, 10:26 PM

55 posts, read 7,555 times
OPI’s Tickle My France-y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty