Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 02:05 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No one in academia or in academic libraries dresses like that on the West Coast. It looks like something that might do better in the NE. A lot of it looks Preppie.
Ditto Florida. Now New England, the North East, and the Midwest, and Mid Atlantic States have long loved this look.

In the 50s-70s moms of the day purchased at Talbot's and Villager Shops, while their college-age to Junior HS daughters loved Lady Bug - the Junior line of Villager. I have friends from as far south as GA AR KY and TN who also loved Lady Bug and Villager.

It would be wonderful finding some of those in a second-hand shop or on Etsy,

Plaids, loafers, jumpers, Bass Weegens, black opaque tights, and camel coats were always the style with many academically inclined high school and college girls.

By the time I hit college, everyone just wore jeans and tees. Or Indian clothes,

I am glad to see it making a comeback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 02:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
It is not as if there is a Dark Academia department in Nordstroms or Dillards! This is a style you can adopt using some of your vintage or classic pieces, or other things you can find in stores.

For some, doing this could be fun.

Me? I’m too old. I’d have no place to wear the stuff. But I do think the style is fun.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:19 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This style of dressing, done correctly, is timeless, and very suitable for those of us who live in colder climes.
When I left for college in the fall of 1967 we were seeing a lot of houndstooth, herringbone, windowpane plaids. My aunt made me a couple of pant suits, one with a vest and a suit dress that were very similar. I just loved them. Too bad they don't still fit!

And, of course there was the London Fog trenchcoat.

Didn't wear them for long. DH got drafted and by the time we returned to finish up our schooling everyone was in ragged jeans and olive drab field jackets. Long hair. Great time to be starving college students.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
When I left for college in the fall of 1967 we were seeing a lot of houndstooth, herringbone, windowpane plaids. My aunt made me a couple of pant suits, one with a vest and a suit dress that were very similar. I just loved them. Too bad they don't still fit!

And, of course there was the London Fog trenchcoat.

Didn't wear them for long. DH got drafted and by the time we returned to finish up our schooling everyone was in ragged jeans and olive drab field jackets. Long hair. Great time to be starving college students.
Yes! When I entered college (mid 70s) no one wore good clothes. It was just jeans, peasant tops, and tee shirts, sweatshirts, and nothing very special. I guess it was a good time to be a starving college student. I missed the real "Collegiate" time though.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Amazes me to think that people wait for clothes to "come into style" rather than just wearing what they want. In style or not, if you like those clothes, wear them.
No one who I know thinks that. It's just interesting that a relatively classic style has a new name and is suddenly trendy. That is all.

Old 07-20-2021, 06:30 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,971,294 times
I'm missing the "dark" part here, I guess. With a title like that, I'd expect it to be preppy with a goth flair, or maybe sort of Victorian, or something. Possibly some of these styles, but in black, purple, gray, dark red, maybe navy or dark green or dark brown, with goth-y accessories, etc.

Some of the outfits don't even seem consistent to me. Most seem to go for elegant, classic, somewhat old-fashioned... then they throw in platform boots and midriff tops. They say "choose short heels" and then half an inch later is a picture of heels at least 3".

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Amazes me to think that people wait for clothes to "come into style" rather than just wearing what they want. In style or not, if you like those clothes, wear them.
To be fair, when a certain fashion item is "in style," it's easier to find in stores... (Or, wait 6-12 months and pick it up in the thrift stores when it's no longer "in style" and everyone is ditching it... )

Old 07-20-2021, 06:49 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
I have to laugh at the name of the style. I live in a town with a large university. That's not the look I see professors or poor PhD students wearing.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:48 PM

307 posts, read 164,135 times
It is a preppy look that has been around for years. It;s populariet has been up and down throughout the years with different twists on the style. Right now it look like looser fits are favored. I am not sure what s dark about it? It looks like pretty traditional fall and winter preppy colors and textures.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:20 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I'm missing the "dark" part here, I guess. With a title like that, I'd expect it to be preppy with a goth flair, or maybe sort of Victorian, or something. Possibly some of these styles, but in black, purple, gray, dark red, maybe navy or dark green or dark brown, with goth-y accessories, etc.
I think the "dark" part has to do with the core philosophy of the aesthetic and its Gothic tendencies:

Other than the appreciation of learning, Dark Academia thought includes themes of criminality, danger, and mystery. Secret societies, cults, and murder are subjects within the aesthetic. Characters within the works of fiction associated with Dark Academia, especially The Secret History and Kill Your Darlings, live decadent and self-destructive lifestyles involving drugs, moments of intense violence, and secrets.
--https://aesthetics.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Academia

Interestingly, there is also a Light Academia aesthetic which is the polar opposite of what Dark Academia aspires to. The following explains it beautifully:

https://thetab.com/uk/2021/05/14/exp...cademia-205446

I agree that this is a regurgitation of the style made popular by Diane Keaton's Annie Hall which incorporates both the light and dark aspects of the Academia aesthetic.

UP NEXT: I wouldn't be surprised if is a resurgence of the 1970s Britpunk aesthetic after the latest Cruella movie. The costume designs were on steroids! So much fun!

Old 07-20-2021, 10:53 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,399,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I just ran into this “style aesthetic” trolling through YouTube. Basically you dress as if you were a very hip Uni prof, or a rich librarian.
Rachel & Jun?

I watch for the cats, got suckered into watching an entire video on clothing, but that Rachel is a looker. And Jun is rocking the slim little beard he's got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty