Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 AM

809 posts, read 2,884,183 times

Advertisements

Ok, sometimes I will guiltily tune into that "reality" show because I"m bored or I genuinely want to get some fashion tips........... but I've noticed that that show is SOOOOO far from reality! $300 on a BLOUSE!!!!!!! Are you KIDDING ME????????

Does anyone else think the prices of the items they have them buy are just RIDCULOUS???? They give them $5,000 for a WHOLE new wardrobe.... but with the prices of the clothing they pick out I'm wondering how on EARTH they get a WHOLE wardrobe??????

Anyone else agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 AM

901 posts, read 2,987,387 times
I don't watch that show. But I've noticed similar prices in magazines. The model will have on a plain whit tank top that costs $150. That is so ridiculous.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:04 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,404 times
I guess the show is a good guide but don't assume that every blouse or shoe needs to be super expensive. Same thing with magazines. You can find those brands at TJ Maxx and other places on sale for way cheaper if you do homework

Old 02-21-2009, 11:09 AM

22,574 posts, read 47,641,955 times
It's a TV show... not real life.
There's the BIG difference.

In real life, I would not pay $300 for a blouse.
But if someone gave me $5000 to spend as I choose on clothing, I might.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:28 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times
First of, those are NYC prices. That should be a start as to why those blouses start where they start. Second, they may be only showing those outfits that are high-end because those stores may do alterations. Half the time, Stacey and Clinton would illustrate why certain outfits need to be taken in to actually fit the wearer and flatter their figures. I doubt that after the show, those women would actually blow those outrageous amounts on clothing. In-store alterations is not a common service and the cost of altering is prohibitive. Hopefully, the process that they walk the person through should provide the learning experience, not so much that the clothes are so expensive.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:26 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,990 times
If you ever notice on the show when they first send the person out on their own, they usually drop them in the high rent district with all the mucho bucks boutiques. Then the next day when they help them shop, you will usually see them at more mainstream kind of stores. Tho the one lady a few days ago who bought 10 identical shirts in Old Navy lol!

Not all the pieces are ridiculous. Ie that person may be wearing a $300 blouse with a $40 pair of shoes and $29 pair of pants. So net net I suppose it wouldn't be too bad to have a few pricier pieces-esp when shopping with someone else's money.

Would I pay $300 for a blouse? I have, but not anymore. Aka when I was younger and stupid and overspent for everything just because I could. Now I'd wait til it went to sale price or showed up in Nordstrom Rack or Neiman's Last Call.

If you saw my post last weekend where I spent about $200 at JCPenney and got about $1300 worth of stuff---->basically replaced my entire work wardrobe, with enough outfits to last at least 2 weeks, more if I mix & match. $5,000 would have bought me enough clothes to wear a different outfit each day and not have to wear the same thing for about....an entire year lol!!!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 PM

60 posts, read 280,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It's a TV show... not real life.
There's the BIG difference.

In real life, I would not pay $300 for a blouse.
But if someone gave me $5000 to spend as I choose on clothing, I might.
EXACTLY!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
If I were to actually get to the shopping part (which wouldn't happen, would not see any of my chosen wardrobe go) I'd walk through each expensive store and refuse to buy anything. Give me a discount store and clothes which are worth the price. And Stacy and her heels. Would be flat out refusing that one.

My problem with the show is they are they are insisting there is ONE right way to dress and its theirs. If people want to live in jeans and tshirts and work boots why not? Why do we all need to look the same.

And they are promoting the exorbetent cost of these clothes which should cost fifty dollars at the max. This is certainly not what we need to condition the public to embrase, not now OR later.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:00 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,111 times
First, some of the items are unique and cannot be found in a chain department store. That fact, along with the complimentary alternations and the level of rent the store has to pay for their premium location all factor in to the cost of the item.

Second, I have noticed though that they have been good lately about featuring some outfits with well priced items. For instance, a pant and top under $100 perhaps paired with a more expensive jacket.

Maybe I would not spend $300 on a blouse but on a one of a kind cocktail dress that fit me like a glove, you bet!

Old 02-21-2009, 06:32 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
I watch the show sometimes for entertainment and to see the before and after shots.
They seem to pick the skankiest looking people that don't look like they've bathed in a week or so, put some nasty looking clothes on them and then try to change them.
Some wear the jeans and tshirt and I'm thinking, what's wrong with this but Stacy and Clinton always find something wrong.
I agree with them as far as if you're going to work or anywhere in public, dress the part and look nice and be clean. Get a good haircut if at all possible. I don't think that a lot of money needs to be spent but quality is important and image is very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty