Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:45 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawren View Post
I messed up my first post. From a hygienic standpoint short shorts are nasty on anybody in public sitting areas such as restaurant booths, etc. Ever notice how much skin is in contact with the furniture? That's why I wear longer shorts, capris, or long pants in public. People wear shorts almost year-round where I live.

Interesting concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 06:59 PM

Today would have been a good arguement for the shorter shorts as hot as it was.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:15 AM

285 posts, read 927,595 times
My wife and I went out shopping and I'm into wearing shorts. The cargo type that almost reach the knee. I like that length. I had worn the short short styles of the 80's, today I don't think I could pull it off wearing them.

One thing that bothers me is seeing other guys wearing the shorts that look like they just pulled them out a laundry basket, all wrinkled and such.
Before I put on a pair of shorts for that day, I set up the Iron and Iron board and press them out. A little bit of steam, In my own eyes I want to look sharp as a tac.

I do have some shorts that are of the 80's style that I have purchased rescently, I only wear them around the house. I don't like the length. My wife tells me not to wear them.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 AM

4 posts, read 8,066 times
short shorts look great on chicks
NOT guys unless there like doing sport or something
fellas stay away from them!
-hhe hhe
XOX

Old 06-22-2009, 01:10 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
That opinion is credible because it's so, like, objective. And nonjudgmental.

I suppose you're wearing terrycloth butt-huggers with a big white stripe on each side right now?
Perhaps you'll soon realize that if your MAN isn't a Latino street gang member, a mid-aged man with low libido trying to relive his high school days, a trailer park resident, or an insect-- then he has no business wearing cargo shorts.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:19 PM

Again I ask why are most women repulsed by the idea of a guy in shorter shorts? What do they find disgusting about it?

Old 06-23-2009, 03:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Again I ask why are most women repulsed by the idea of a guy in shorter shorts? What do they find disgusting about it?
I think some younger women have never even seen them. For them, longer shorts are the norm.
Other women, during these long baggy years, forgot what they were like.

In the 70's lots of guys wore shorter shorts because cargos etc had not yet been invented. There were what they called "Bermudas," and there were regular shorts (which were shorter than cargos.) Both men and women of the younger set wore cut-offs, as short as they dared.

But as I recall, most hetero guys did not wear really *short* shorts unless they were taking part in some sort of athletic endeavor.

During the past couple years, younger people have been drifting away from the baggy look, both top and bottom.
I think this is good, but I'm not fond of extremes on either side.

Years ago during the 80's, the older guy across the street from us used to wear tight short shorts to mow his lawn, which he did obsessively. He was still in very good shape, but seeing his junk leak out did not do too much for me.

I saw my first really short shorts on a young bearded guy yesterday. If anything, it sort of made me feel as if I was back in some sort of 60's time warp. I wasn't turned off, just sort of taken aback.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:48 PM

Good reply. When I said "shorter shorts," I meant about mid-thigh length or so. When shorter shorts were the norm for guys, there was plenty of coverage in the gender specific areas. I don't believe people of either sex should wear anything that does not provide ample coverage to these areas. Also, I believe many hetero men wouldn't wear the shorter shorts because they fear their sexual orientation would be called in to question. That is a comment I have seen from men on other threads that have dealt with this topic. To my knowledge, this is the first thread on City-Data to deal with this topic.
I have asked for a respectful discussion because there was plenty of sarcasm in posts. So far, we have avoided that here for the most part.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:47 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Short shorts look silly on men. Period.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:49 PM

Maybe they are coming back already. I was in a local Target yesterday where I noticed that they were selling '80s style dolphin shorts in the men's section and advertised them as running shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty