Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:54 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times

Advertisements

First, separate Fall/Winter from Spring/Summer clothes. Pack up the group that you are NOT using and store away. Next, think about categories such as casual, office/work, sportswear, and cocktail/evening. You probably have alot of clothing in one or two areas and fewer in other areas. For example, the 1-yr rule most likely won't work in cocktail/evening because clothing in this category is typically more costly, better made, and has a classic style (i.e., not trendy). However, if you have 24 pairs of jeans, then maybe it's time to keep your favorites and lose the rest.

Much of this resides on what kind of lifestyle you have and how often you use certain clothes.

Donate/toss anything that is:

* poorly constructed
* cheap fabric
* looks terrible on you/ doesn't compliment the best
* doesn't fit right -- too tight, too loose, too short
* something you have too much of. IOW, if you have 20 white shirts, just keep 1/2 of them
* something you know you'll never use
* something with bad memories (i.e., a dress you wore when you broke up with someone you can't stand)

Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 04:20 PM

179 posts, read 548,093 times
This is what I do when I'm trying to get rid of clothes. I pretend Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear from TLC are with me. If Stacy wouldn't wear it or if she wouldn't recommend it for me, then I sell it/pitch it/donate it. This has worked tremendously well for me, especially when attempting to rid my closet of one same style shirt in several colors that mentally I have a hard time letting go. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:23 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,887 times
I tear them apart and make new ones or accessories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Has anyone else had far too many clothes and decided to do a MAJOR wardrobe overhaul to keep just the very best & basic clothes? I know to donate or sell on eBay, but how do you do the sorting process when you hate to get rid of any of the clothes because you like them and they all fit?

Old 05-11-2009, 04:29 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,898 times
I wish I could help, I hate shopping. Just this weekend I had to get new jeans and t-shirts. I told my husband I would get a few of each. I walked in the store sighed real loud went and grabbed one pair of jeans, one t-shirt went to the check out, good thing I know my size. I got home and hubby saw the small bag and laughed and said "That's what I thought" I have better things to do. I never keep clothes just in case or just because. I toss what I don't wear or that is worn. Hence the need for new ones.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a large amount of clothes, then I think of shopping and snap out of it. LOL

Old 05-12-2009, 03:01 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
The one year rule is a good one, but I can't seem to follow it. I do think about how often I've worn something, what else I have that goes with it, if it can be altered in some way to make it seem like new or look better, if it needs repairs, or if it's a favorite that has been worn so often that it's starting to look haggard and threadbare. That weeded out things for me. A major move from a cold climate to a warmer one weeded out a whole lot more!

I think a good rule to follow is that for every new thing you bring into the house, one or two things need to go out. That helps to keep the clutter to a minimum and your closet won't keep expanding.

Another suggestion would be to think about how incredibly blessed you are to have all those clothes compared to people who've suffered great loss through floods, fires, etc. or who have lost their jobs or because of abuse had to leave their homes in a hurry and took little with them, or someone in a drug or alcohol recovery program who is starting life over with little to nothing. Then you might be moved to donate some of your excess to someone who can REALLY use it.
When I moved I tried on everything. I hadn't worn the sweaters much but kept them, since I would have an opportunity to, and gave away the ugly jackets, but the stuff I knew would end up in the trash bin was just added to my craft stuff. I have a bin of clothes that I can't/won't wear to scavage from. That shirt with the spot you can't get out has lots of perfectly useable fabric left. Also, zippers and other things can be used.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Personally, I don't agree with the "one year rule" unless your clothes are of a very cheap quality or very trendy style. I will often revisit pieces that I haven't worn in 1+ year, as long as they weren't too trendy at the time, and wear them again in a different way.
Yes, that's a stupid rule, in my opinion.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:08 PM

557 posts, read 2,611,222 times
Some great suggestions! Too new here to have "trusted friends" I'd ask to help me sort out clothes. And if my sister came to visit to help (who really knows how to revamp a wardrobe) she'd never leave! ;-) And my hubby is no help--he'd have me keeping everything that's too tight and revealing!! (not my style). Yes, like the idea of pretending Stacy & Clinton are here to help but there's no way I'm getting rid of my comfy, frumpy shoes!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:57 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
. . . but there's no way I'm getting rid of my comfy, frumpy shoes!
Don't lose anything you really, really want! Just when I think I can throw out an old pair of sneakers, cargo pants, or shorts--turns out that I need them to paint the house, garden, or whatever! Best of luck to you!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
I've decided that you spend the first half of life trying to accumulate things and the last half trying to get rid of them!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:54 PM

179 posts, read 548,093 times
A loophole on the "What Not to Wear" method..yes of course keep those comfy sweats! Just don't do your dry cleaning/grocery shopping/errand running in them! =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty