Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:48 PM

41 posts, read 128,217 times

Advertisements

I don't remember seeing so many people wearing open-toed shoes when I was growing up in the 80s. Now they seem to be everywhere and even guys have dozens (or maybe hundreds) or choices. In the past, it was rare for guys to wear them because they were often seen as feminine. I still have reservations about wearing them sometimes but you can't beat the comfort. Is there anyone that just started wearing them in recent years? Is this just a fad or are sandals here to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 10:52 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Might be due to the relaxation in dress standards across the board and the influx of Indians into this country.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:38 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,058 times
A lot of "older" guys have reservations about them still. I think a big part of it is the increasing availability of outdoor "lifestyle" brands and products. In the past decade outdoor brands like Merrell, Keen, The North Face, etc. have become popular for everyday wear instead of being just for people that actually do a lot of stuff outdoors. Now, guys can buy sandals from these brands and they look a little more rugged and less effeminate. When I sold these brands a lot of guys in their 40s-50s (and even 30s) would come in never having worn sandals before. Often it was their wives' idea, but being able to buy brands that they recognized as more "manly" seemed to help.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:49 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Might be due to the relaxation in dress standards across the board and the influx of Indians into this country.

The Indians? The ones with the feathers on their heads or the ones from India?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:00 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,136,350 times
I am totally opposed to sandals, flip flops ect. The fad is not as huge as it was a few years prior. But, still troubling nonetheless.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
Sandals are supposed to be extremely casual footwear.

The American style of dress has become more and more casual as the years go on.

There is very little etiquette anymore with regard to proper styles of dressing.

I see people wearing sandals, flip flops, and jeans to work in my high rise office building.

I can't say that I like it.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Sandals were huge in the 70s... they are just cycling around again.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:55 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
I think they're more popular b/c of climate change--it's getting warmer everywhere so more people are wearing warm-weather footwear *LOL*
I think a lot of it has to do with influential states. Florida and especially Califorinia are big trend setters and are both warm-weather states where people wear warm-weather appropriate shoes, i.e. sandals. So sandals--or any shoe that people in CA or FL are wearing--have become more popular.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I think they're more popular b/c of climate change--it's getting warmer everywhere so more people are wearing warm-weather footwear *LOL*
I think a lot of it has to do with influential states. Florida and especially Califorinia are big trend setters and are both warm-weather states where people wear warm-weather appropriate shoes, i.e. sandals. So sandals--or any shoe that people in CA or FL are wearing--have become more popular.

Yep. I've been in California the majority of my life and we wear flip flops and sandals all year round. It's really not unusual to see someone wearing shorts and flip flops when it's raining out

Old 06-26-2009, 04:26 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,026 times
If anything sandals popularity would be declining right now. I'm noticing the low-top casual canvas slip-ons being a popular alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty