Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times

Advertisements

I know as you get older they say less makeup is better. I do put some foundation just on the ruddy parts, powder because my skin is shiny, and liner and mascara on the top lid only because I am blonde and my eyelashes are very light. I wear a mauve colored lip gloss/sorta that matche smy lips.

Maybe I am wearing too much for my age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,693,361 times
IMO< it sounds like you're wearing a nice amount. none of your colors seem to loud or garish. I think the fact that you are evening out your skin tone with the powder makes you look younger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I know as you get older they say less makeup is better. I do put some foundation just on the ruddy parts, powder because my skin is shiny, and liner and mascara on the top lid only because I am blonde and my eyelashes are very light. I wear a mauve colored lip gloss/sorta that matche smy lips.

Maybe I am wearing too much for my age?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:38 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,895,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
sounds like a nice, natural look. I have wondered about the Even Better Foundation, do they have it in darker shades? I have had no luck with foundation.
I think they do. You should go to the nearest Clinique counter to you and see if what they have suits you.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:50 PM

304 posts, read 904,620 times
Quote:
When I was younger, (after seeing photos of myself) I was all about the real defined lip-liner, shimmery rose/beige lipstick, lots of eyeliner and foundation. But lately, I love the nude lip look. I wear very little makeup since my skin is oily, it just slides off my face in about 15 mins anyway, so I just use a light powder, mascara (no eyeliner) and a sheer, nude lip gloss. I think it makes me look even younger.
what about you ladies? has your makeup looks changed?
I went from eyeliner, heavy mascara, eyeshadow, foundation, blush, lip tint/lip liner, eyebrow pencil

to spf moisturizer, sometimes eyeliner, always mascara, no foundation-blush or lip tint, chap stick or clear lip gloss.

Pretty basic now, but always mascara!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:52 PM

288 posts, read 918,122 times
I went from a completely bare face to putting lotion on. I'm 34 and never learned to like/want it. Oh, and I'll wear chapstick during the winter.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 AM

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I think they do. You should go to the nearest Clinique counter to you and see if what they have suits you.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 AM

not only does that save time, it's better for our skin to use less products/makeups, IMO. and I think it just enhances our natural features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
I went from eyeliner, heavy mascara, eyeshadow, foundation, blush, lip tint/lip liner, eyebrow pencil

to spf moisturizer, sometimes eyeliner, always mascara, no foundation-blush or lip tint, chap stick or clear lip gloss.

Pretty basic now, but always mascara!

Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,782 times
It's changed tons. I was totally punk rawk in high school, including pale skin, winged out eyeliner and either super dark or very light lips. Then in college I was doing more of a club kid thing, dressing up in serious costumes when I went out at night, and painting my face to match (kabuki style make-up with kimono, for example, or slicked back hair and exaggerated brows while wearing a skinny pin-striped men's suit). But, in the daytime while attending classes and stuff, it was more like just a touch of mascara and lip balm, or maybe red lips with a hint of blush. Then, in my early twenties, being very much into somewhat edgy haute couture, but also needing to present a professional appearance, I "did my face" on a daily basis. This was pretty much in a tasteful manner to match my demeanor for work, but maybe adding something interesting for after-work activities as well, such as a touch of golden eyeshadow during the day, intensified with more dramatic gold liner in the evening. Now, I wear less make-up then ever! I'm a total lip balm/gloss addict, and a hint of blush or bronzer brightens up the features. But it's always fun to "dress up" so to speak. And I still <3 red lips with black eyeliner.

Last edited by hollygolightly; 07-10-2009 at 06:18 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 12:50 AM

I'm with you on the lipgloss/balm thing, I am hooked on them too! I keep 2 tubes of SPF lip balm in my purse, and I use a special one with shea butter when I go to bed. And a different shea butter one for under lip gloss-I can't stand to put lip gloss on "dry" lips!!
So, you still do the black lip (eye) liner thing? I never used black, but I would line my lips with a chocolate colored lipliner, then use the rosy/beige lipstick, so I had a dark outline. In my past photos, this just made me look ridiculous! It made my lips look red, which is terrible on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
It's changed tons. I was totally punk rawk in high school, including pale skin, winged out eyeliner and either super dark or very light lips. Then in college I was doing more of a club kid thing, dressing up in serious costumes when I went out at night, and painting my face to match (kabuki style make-up with kimono, for example, or slicked back hair and exaggerated brows while wearing a skinny pin-striped men's suit). But, in the daytime while attending classes and stuff, it was more like just a touch of mascara and lip balm, or maybe red lips with a hint of blush. Then, in my early twenties, being very much into somewhat edgy haute couture, but also needing to present a professional appearance, I "did my face" on a daily basis. This was pretty much in a tasteful manner to match my demeanor for work, but maybe adding something interesting for after-work activities as well, such as a touch of golden eyeshadow during the day, intensified with more dramatic gold liner in the evening. Now, I wear less make-up then ever! I'm a total lip balm/gloss addict, and a hint of blush or bronzer brightens up the features. But it's always fun to "dress up" so to speak. And I still <3 red lips with black eyeliner.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,782 times
Quote:
I'm with you on the lipgloss/balm thing, I am hooked on them too! I keep 2 tubes of SPF lip balm in my purse, and I use a special one with shea butter when I go to bed. And a different shea butter one for under lip gloss-I can't stand to put lip gloss on "dry" lips!!
So, you still do the black lip (eye) liner thing? I never used black, but I would line my lips with a chocolate colored lipliner, then use the rosy/beige lipstick, so I had a dark outline. In my past photos, this just made me look ridiculous! It made my lips look red, which is terrible on me.
I have a lip balm stashed in every room, as well as several selected pocketbooks, and tons in my make-up bag collection! I switched bags the other day and forgot to throw a tube in there, and it bothered me the whole time I was out; the first thing I did when I got home was grab a fresh unopened tube of C.O. Bigelow Coral Mint and make sure my handbag was stocked!

Regarding the lipstick, I personally never went the black liner on lips route; I actually used a lipstick by Revlon called "Blackberry." I loved that color, along with "Toast of New York." I don't wear my lipstick quite that dark anymore, but I do still enjoy classic red on the lips. Coupled with black eyeliner (on the eyes, mind you), it can be a very glam look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty