Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times

Advertisements

This is the fashion board isn't it? I would assume posters to a fashion board would aspire to a white collar national magazine approach to fashion not one shown by Larry the Cable Guy or Roseanne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Let's say the OP is correct and the syle, physical appearance, and behavior of socioeconomic levels differs. The possible reasons have been stated here in many posts.

So-who cares?? What difference does it make? Is it just a question like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin??

Or is the OP making a value judgement about people based on these differences. Make-up is good. Plain is bad? Fashionable is de riguer while basic, comfortable, affordable and out of date is bad? Hair styles make the person?

Being appropriately dressed for the occasion is one thing--no blue jeans at a wedding, perhaps. But the suit doesn't have to be "in style" to show respect.

What about being of good character, loyal, hard-working, responsible, and kind? Do they count in your social experiment? Frankly, as long as someone practices good hygiene and has decent manners and the clothes are clean and generally fit the occasion--I could care less.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:04 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
many of the people do not pay much attention to their beauty or fashion. Of course some of the reason is due to the cost of staying current, but I am convinced that blue collar people really do not care in most cases about their appearance.
Your post is offensive because of your assumption that people who don't meet your standards must not care about their appearance. I rather think most of them do care about their appearance and do they best they can within their ability.
Quote:
As I suspected, many posters do not understand sociology and human nature. While many white collar professionals, like the lawyer who is shown below, may dress down on weekends, you can still tell who is who. People who work on the factory line or a dirty job still have a certain way about them. It is the way they talk, their diction, their body language, their nails, their makeup, their hair, their habits, the words they use, their walk.

It is so clear and I wonder about the mentality of anyone who does not see this. It is like the different of Larry the Cable Guy against Mitt Romney.
Oh for pete's sake, yes, there is a difference in 'the look'. I don't think anyone is arguing that you can't see the difference in someone with a $15 haircut vs. someone with a $50 haircut, or a pair of Gucci loafers vs. a pair of Payless loafers. As far as the rest of it, somewhat true, but only to a point. There are plenty of rude, crude, boorish types in the white collar world too. And not all of us in the blue collar world are ignorant, uneducated slobs with no appreciation of the finer things in life. Some of us even understand big words, read books, and go to the symphony when we can. Sorry if my cheap haircut and my JC Penney wardrobe offend 'my betters' when I'm out and about.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,456 times
Heehee, what a funny thread! I think it will offend everyone who might be worried they are blue-collared. But probably blue-collared people would like to dress better but can't afford to.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:17 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
As I suspected, many posters do not understand sociology and human nature. While many white collar professionals, like the lawyer who is shown below, may dress down on weekends, you can still tell who is who. People who work on the factory line or a dirty job still have a certain way about them. It is the way they talk, their diction, their body language, their nails, their makeup, their hair, their habits, the words they use, their walk.

It is so clear and I wonder about the mentality of anyone who does not see this. It is like the different of Larry the Cable Guy against Mitt Romney.
You are talking two extremes. OBVIOUSLY there is a huge difference between those two people.

Frankly, I am wondering about the mentality of anyone that starts this type of post.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Quote:
This is the fashion board isn't it? I would assume posters to a fashion board would aspire to a white collar national magazine approach to fashion not one shown by Larry the Cable Guy or Roseanne!
Magazine fashion? Sorry, I have no such aspirations.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:21 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,016 times
Blue Collar people do look different! I work in a blue collar industry. I work 50% outside in the field, 50% in the office. Most of the guys look rough. A very stout and very unshaven appearance. You should see the type of things people wear to interviews!

I have to wear clothing that I can get dirty. At least I'll buy new jeans when mine get oiled, grassy, and dirty. Also, I tend to wear oxford shirts outside. Most guys wear dirty clothing.

Other things: Big Dog t-shirts, just ugly designs, smell etc.

There are other blue collar guys too. I noticed engineers tend to be very nice. Also, the supervisors tend to be more concerned that the other guys who work on the field.

Construction workers, oil pipeliners, etc. look different from most. However, it seems that are some real professionals in the industry as well.

Look at who changes your tires next time or fixes a flat and I bet they will look VERY rough. The auto body shop is one of the worst offenders.

I'm not sure why everyone is so politically correct. I grew up working hard in the construction industry and I now do nat. gas work. I know the industry and I know there are a bunch of rough looking people in it.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
I know what you're getting at, but I have to disagree. (I have to laugh because usually I'm the one get ripped apart for discussing socioeconomic differences and being told I'm an "Elitist". LOL)

We live in a well to do neighborhood that consists of execs, MDs, lawyers, business owners and blue collar workers. My DH is an exec, but by most standards, he looks more blue collar. His hands are big and weathered from all the DIY projects he does around the house, he's generally in stained/ripped tees & jeans & work boots (when not in work attire) and he drives a truck. But yet the blue collar workers I know drive luxury vehicles and are always in the RL polo shirts and khakis. If you were to put my DH next to these men, you'd assume my DH was the blue collar worker. My DH is refined when he needs to be and Home Depot, Kmart and other stores don't fall under the need to be refined category. Hell, my DH will walk into a luxury store dressed down...he doesn't care. If he needs to buy something, he feels no need to dress up to spend money. Me on the other hand, I feel awkward if I'm not dressed up to go into Saks, etc.. My DH just shakes his head and he's the one with the $.

Same goes for my dad, an accountant/chief with the feds. I grew up thinking my father "fixed things". He's very "blue collar", which is why he gets along so well with my husband.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
We live in a well to do neighborhood that consists of execs, MDs, lawyers, business owners and blue collar workers. My DH is an exec, but by most standards, he looks more blue collar. His hands are big and weathered from all the DIY projects he does around the house, he's generally in stained/ripped tees & jeans & work boots (when not in work attire) and he drives a truck. But yet the blue collar workers I know drive luxury vehicles and are always in the RL polo shirts and khakis. If you were to put my DH next to these men, you'd assume my DH was the blue collar worker. My DH is refined when he needs to be and Home Depot, Kmart and other stores don't fall under the need to be refined category. Hell, my DH will walk into a luxury store dressed down...he doesn't care. If he needs to buy something, he feels no need to dress up to spend money. Me on the other hand, I feel awkward if I'm not dressed up to go into Saks, etc.. My DH just shakes his head and he's the one with the $.

Same goes for my dad, an accountant/chief with the feds. I grew up thinking my father "fixed things". He's very "blue collar", which is why he gets along so well with my husband.
OUTLIERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can state a truthful, yet anecdotal, story just like this suggesting the opposite.

Then you could that one an outlier as well.

Still, I think the percentage-wise, the wealthier, the better dressed. I'm sure this could be proven. And there may be a bunch of outliers.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:11 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
OUTLIERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can state a truthful, yet anecdotal, story just like this suggesting the opposite.

Then you could that one an outlier as well.

Still, I think the percentage-wise, the wealthier, the better dressed. I'm sure this could be proven. And there may be a bunch of outliers.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I wish you could discover other methods to refute me than slapping your face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty