Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:14 PM

26 posts, read 30,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
I disagree. I think these handbags are worth it. And save the self righteous donation comments. Some people can afford to give AND buy the expensive bags. And instead of buying ANY type of bag, you should just give all of your discretionary income away.
Designer handbags grossly exceed the cost of their materials, workmanship, or worth. The cost is not for the handbag itself but for the name of the designer, which I find to be both foolish and quite tacky.

As a hardworking person, I can certainly justify living quite comfortably and never being in want of anything, but know the woes of the world, I certainly would be disappointed in myself if I did sink to that level of extravagance.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 AM

296 posts, read 543,092 times
I will not pay more than $35 for a purse.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 AM

402 posts, read 589,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Enchantment View Post
Designer handbags grossly exceed the cost of their materials, workmanship, or worth. The cost is not for the handbag itself but for the name of the designer, which I find to be both foolish and quite tacky.

As a hardworking person, I can certainly justify living quite comfortably and never being in want of anything, but know the woes of the world, I certainly would be disappointed in myself if I did sink to that level of extravagance.
Foolish and tacky? Sure. Whatever you need to make yourself feel better.

The woes of the world have no relation to a person's level of extravagance. But if you would be disappointed in yourself, so be it. I certainly don't feel bad about it. Balance is key in everything.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Holy mackerel, people. I have never had the discretionary income to drop several hundred or thousand dollars on a purse. I mean, I could put it on a credit card, but I would not be able to justify paying interest on it. I don't think I've ever spent more than $40 on a purse; my favorite purse was a gift and probably cost about $50. I am at a point now where I can justify spending somewhat more on a classic, quality bag that will last a long time ($200 or so), but I'd just accidentally mark up the inside with ballpoint pen like I do now. I like purses (and shoes, LOL) ... maybe I'm just cheap.

There's a very nice second-hand store near me with designer stuff in great shape. I can get a used Coach or D&B bag there for about $50. I found a quilted teal Juicy Couture for $40 at TJ Maxx (Christmas present to daughter), so that and Marshall's are good places to look. I just don't want to spend a lot of money and then flip out because there's a half-eaten lollipop stuck to the inside.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM

466 posts, read 815,930 times
Quote:
Not to mention that I'm sure you show excess in some area of your life. Everyone does.
This is very true. The most expensive bag I've ever owned is a Coach bag I got for Mother's Day last month. It was a full-price delete that had been sent to Coach Outlet (not one of the made for factory bags). It was $160, down from full price $300. I have a friend who would never dream of spending more than $30 for a handbag. BUT she just had to have a $300 mixer from KitchenAid. I have some $40 mixer I got as a wedding present that I barely use.

Everybody's got their own thing.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 AM

19,722 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Don't try to cover bitterness with attempts at profundity. Just call it what it is.
I say what I mean, and mean what I say.

An $8,000 bag is retarded. That's called being perceptive.

Quote:
The woes of the world have no relation to a person's level of extravagance.
Actually, from the point I was making, that has everything to do with it.

People making higher amounts of income pay far less in taxes than your everyday working man or woman. What with capital gains, dividends, etc, there are all number of ways the "rich" avoid paying taxes, such as
"unearned income" not being taxed at all. It does not help to stimulate the economy by giving $8,000 to an already wealthy high end fashion designer...for a bag, (for your closet).

Frivolous spending indicates poor decision making skills amongst the wealthy.

(However, retarded or not, that is your perogative.)

Now, this is not necessarily a personal attack on you, it was just a perfect example of the way our economy is screwed up and needs to change.

Quote:
Balance is key in everything.
I agree, but I think for a different reason.

**Better scoot now before the Fashion Police have me arrested for politcal protest.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM

469 posts, read 1,328,636 times
My husband and I each get a "splurge" item at bonus time. A few years ago I got my first black coach purse (and had buyers guilt for months!). I use it for everything though- out to lunch, out to ball practice with kids, or out on a date! It truly is relative. We all find joy in different "stuff". I might get another brown coach next bonus time?! It will be at coach outlet so 300 will be the MAX. I'm not into trendy stuff in general so it will be something classic and neutral. I will have to check TJmaxx and marshalls first. What other brands do they carry?

Last edited by namomof3; 06-08-2011 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: question

Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Enchantment View Post

If they're gonna charge that much money, they'd better be paying the workers a fair wage for their labor. That's how it is for that brand of clothing (can't remember it's name) that's made in Uganda and is paying their workers fairly for their labor. Yes their products are a bit pricey ($28 for a hat made of bamboo) but at least they're not in sweatshop conditions.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Foolish and tacky? Sure. Whatever you need to make yourself feel better.

The woes of the world have no relation to a person's level of extravagance. But if you would be disappointed in yourself, so be it. I certainly don't feel bad about it. Balance is key in everything.
Your comments on what you say you would spend on a bag say quite a bit about you, you know.
And we all know everyone tells the truth on these boards, right?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 PM

402 posts, read 589,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Your comments on what you say you would spend on a bag say quite a bit about you, you know.
And we all know everyone tells the truth on these boards, right?
Actually some people tell the truth. I'm one of them. I have several bags in that price range. And I have no reason to lie about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty