Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Well, I'm sure there will be a lot of "70's / woodstock" answers - but, let's come up with some different ideas.

I've noticed that, clothing stores in the United States are segregated based on a variety of reasons, both obvious and not. Age, income and style are some examples.

Pacsun, American Eagle, Ambercrombie, Buckle.. these are stores that most people over their 20's wouldn't shop at. JC Penny, Sears... Macy's - these are some affordable department stores. Then there are stores like Nordstrom. What about Target and Walmart? Footlocker? Payless?

I've noticed that Europe has a more 'desegregated' approach. I know a lot of people that wouldn't be caught dead shopping at Payless. However, people don't have any problem shopping at shoe stores similar to Payless in America. When women buy shoes here, they buy pumps, ballerinas, or boots. American women usually buy running shoes and wear them with jeans - this doesn't occur a lot, just more than in Europe.

There are very few hip hop/young generation stores where I live in Europe. Most of the stores here are ones that people of all ages shop at.. esprit, h &m, edc, and department stores.

Jeans... This one has been discussed before. Bootcut jeans are in fashion, still, yes even in Europe. However, baggy jeans are not. Don't confuse bootcut with baggy. Jeans seem to be of higher quality here. The fabric, the die process, stitching... all at a similar price to jeans in America. Jeans just look better here. I still see a lot of Americans abroad wearing the super bleached white wash faded jeans.

People I know in Europe tend to be more "thrify" with fashion. People also tend to not care about brands and labels. Brands and labels seem to run American purchase opinions. The hip-hop culture sadly seems to turn some teenagers/early and mid 20's American into a wanna-be gangstar (white chicks with gang signs). Don't get me wrong though - this happens in Europe, but not nearly as much in America.

Well, let's get it started then...
Regarding the initial question, simply because we ARE different. We usually don't drive the same cars or eat the same dishes, either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Regarding the initial question, simply because we ARE different. We usually don't drive the same cars or eat the same dishes, either...
That's pretty obvious.

The question was asked to find out why we are different. It's called understanding culture.

If we just accepted things as, "simply because...", we would never understand. Good job and thanks for nothing.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
It's called understanding culture.
Or comparing culture vs. no culture.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
A short answer : two different cultures.
Exactly;there is a huge difference in culture. If you were older and knew any realtives who where in WWII you would know they saw the great differnce in just basic thinking.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Well, I'm sure there will be a lot of "70's / woodstock" answers - but, let's come up with some different ideas.

I've noticed that, clothing stores in the United States are segregated based on a variety of reasons, both obvious and not. Age, income and style are some examples.

Pacsun, American Eagle, Ambercrombie, Buckle.. these are stores that most people over their 20's wouldn't shop at. JC Penny, Sears... Macy's - these are some affordable department stores. Then there are stores like Nordstrom. What about Target and Walmart? Footlocker? Payless?

I've noticed that Europe has a more 'desegregated' approach. I know a lot of people that wouldn't be caught dead shopping at Payless. However, people don't have any problem shopping at shoe stores similar to Payless in America. When women buy shoes here, they buy pumps, ballerinas, or boots. American women usually buy running shoes and wear them with jeans - this doesn't occur a lot, just more than in Europe.

There are very few hip hop/young generation stores where I live in Europe. Most of the stores here are ones that people of all ages shop at.. esprit, h &m, edc, and department stores.

Jeans... This one has been discussed before. Bootcut jeans are in fashion, still, yes even in Europe. However, baggy jeans are not. Don't confuse bootcut with baggy. Jeans seem to be of higher quality here. The fabric, the die process, stitching... all at a similar price to jeans in America. Jeans just look better here. I still see a lot of Americans abroad wearing the super bleached white wash faded jeans.

People I know in Europe tend to be more "thrify" with fashion. People also tend to not care about brands and labels. Brands and labels seem to run American purchase opinions. The hip-hop culture sadly seems to turn some teenagers/early and mid 20's American into a wanna-be gangstar (white chicks with gang signs). Don't get me wrong though - this happens in Europe, but not nearly as much in America.

Well, let's get it started then...
My guess would be is because the "wants" and "needs" of Americans are much more shaped by marketing than "wants and needs" of Europeans. ( I am talking about stores like "Abercrombie and Fitch," Gap and what's not.)
It's much easier to sell the "image" (and what comes with it) to young Americans than to young Europeans. Europeans are "older and wiser" souls, so they won't fall into traps of marketing ( ie. someone selling them ideas) as easy as Americans.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:38 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
European men= capri pants. Should not be worn by any man, ever.... and what is up with the man buns in Europe? Ew.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:47 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
European men= capri pants. Should not be worn by any man, ever.... and what is up with the man buns in Europe? Ew.
in case you havent noticed a lot of american men are wearing capris. Theyre just baggy and guys call them shorts. and wth are "man buns"?

Old 05-27-2012, 06:53 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
in case you havent noticed a lot of american men are wearing capris. Theyre just baggy and guys call them shorts. and wth are "man buns"?
Men with long hair who put it up in a bun... ew. No, the shorts here are shorter than the capris wore in Europe...that's why American men call them shorts.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
the capris are a slimmer cut which I prefer. I hate baggy cargo shorts.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Men with long hair who put it up in a bun... ew. No, the shorts here are shorter than the capris wore in Europe...that's why American men call them shorts.
Never seen men putting their hair up in buns. If they want to thats their prerogative. And who gives a crap about Europe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty