Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times

Advertisements

I need to get inspired. Looking at fit women older than me does that. Joyce Vedrall books on weight training with her in bikini on cover when she was pushing 50. Now she's over 60 and looks great, go to her website.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I am surprised about the walking comment Pitt, I had no idea about that.Been doing it for years and am in pretty good shape for an old broad I really thought it was more beneficial. I do live in a hilly area so that helps too. However, I do add some cardo/lite wts during my week as well. Educating oneself on proper nutrition/healthy eating is a must. I found the healthy food I really enjoy and keep it around. I imbibe in some sinful things on occasion. Moderation is a key to desserts/cocktails etc Now that the Holidays are over, I threw out the remains of those lovely desserts/cookies/fudge I made and gave away the two boxes of candy I recieved as hostess gifts. I surrender to the fact that if cheesecake and I have a stare down, it always wins so I just dont keep the temptations around. I buy/make sweets for the family that I dont care for but they like. And always have go to food ready in the fridge so I dont get tempted. Marinated raw veggies,fruit,pitcher of lemon water,etc.
Oh its good for you. Keep it up ya old bird.

Its just not a calorie blasting burn. BUT what is cool about walking is that being low intensity the calories burned will come from mostly fat. Its not a tool to be un-used that is for sure. Hills do add to the calorie burning power of a walk.

I was totally shocked too when I started learning about what activity burns what. I like walking and I thought..well I just walk off this cheeseburger...I think the burger would of laughed at me if it could. Right now it would take me over 2 hours! LOL...yikes.

If you want to play around with a calorie burn calculator:
Calories Burned, BMI, BMR & RMR Calculator | CaloriesPerHour.com

It even has housecleaning and CHURCH SINGING of all things.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:17 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

Walking barely burns anything calorie wise.
I disagree with that... and so does Spark, since you referenced them.

You do not have to run to burn calories; walking the same distance is just as good.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Walking does barely burn calories. Its not my opinion. Look at walking vs. riding a bike on light effort. The bike burns twice as much. Link that spark thing you are talking about.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:38 PM

562 posts, read 2,402,803 times
I am right there with you midagirl! I posted in the health and diet forum a while back with exactly the same feeling- that I was eating the same or less but weighing more than in my mid 30's and before. I wondered was my tubal ligation, an underactive thyroid? I had my thyroid checked and its fine.

I have found that I just cannot eat as much as I used to , but When I lower my hunger inducing carbs I have also found that I really don't NEED as much food. I spent much of my 30's pregnant or nursing(my best figure ever! Full breasts and skinny!) so I could use the calories. I just do not need all that food now. Studies have supported this fact, that as you get older, you should eat less.

For me there has been just one way to reduce my weight and stay out of 12's and in 8's- that is eliminating ALL white carbs for a while. No cereal for breakfast-even Kashi- but 2 eggs or turkey bacon - no sandwiches or meals with rice or noodles- just lean protein, low carb veggies not potatoes,did I mention the veggies?- very little fruit and maybe some slow cooked oatmeal or whole grain bread.

Yes there are popular diets that give you plans, read them, I like the Zone, and if you follow your appetite will drastically decrease as your blood sugar normalizes. I just came back from vacation and my size 8's were baggy as I had done this the week previous, but now they are tight because I had to off my diet. I am back on and trying to figure out how often I can have white carbs and still maintain. Not very often, I think!

Good Luck! fabumom07

Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Avoid processed carbs. Eat complex carbs. The body will rebound gain from a low carb diet because carbs cause the body to retain water. Just eating the whole grain versions of your favorites may make you lose because of the fiber, tendency to have protien in complex carb foods, and your body is relaxed and being fed. (less likely to store)

Start with brown or wild rice. A serving of the pasta is only half a cup. Which is a spaghetti sauce ladel. Even I think that is a joke...WHO eats half a cup of pasta?!?...not me.
Same with cereal....

Old 01-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Link that spark thing you are talking about.
Don't know how to link My Fitness from spark, but...

if I walk 17 min/mile for 45 minutes, I burn 293 calories as per the Spark info.
That certainly is not insignificant!

Old 01-02-2010, 02:15 PM

Oh...Put in if you did a bike. That would burn off a cheese sandwich...Not a burger. (400-800 cals)

I only get about a 165 cal burn at my weight (128 today) doing the exact same thing.
(45 min @ 3.5 mph)

I burn 305 cals @ 12mph on a bike (which is a steady lighter speed, not speed demon)
(45 min @ 12mph)

Old 01-02-2010, 02:46 PM

A Wendy's junior hamburger is 230 calories, so that walk WOULD burn it off.

Don't worry... I know I burn more calories when I am in my spinning classes (twice a week BTW!).

But my point is that walking is not as useless as you alluded. Plus, it is something anyone can do/has access to/can afford.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:50 PM

273 posts, read 684,494 times
Yep carbs are my problem i need to find other foods that i like. true about portion and not needing as much food like this morning i just ate a few peanuts and a yogurt and soy milk and was full for a few hours. Off to cut back my food intake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty