Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: guys wear nail polish are...
gay 26 59.09%
creative 7 15.91%
metrosexual 2 4.55%
confused 8 18.18%
sexy 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:49 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times

Advertisements

Not sure what catigory I fall under...

Cause I definatly don't parade around...maybe if I lived in a big castle by myself, with marble floors I would...

Gay people think I'm Frankenstein and avoid me like the plague...

Women sense I'm self assertave, think for myself, and am not easily manipulated, nor do I like being controlled, so they avoid me...

And regular men, well they just look at me with their head tilted side ways as if to say 'What the hell'?...

As such, I conclude I'm a celestial being from another planet...

(that was my attempt at humor, which failed miserably)

Last edited by Time and Space; 02-11-2012 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 12:45 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
if i like a color i will wear it. Whether it be in the form of clothing, polish, hair bands, whatever. I shave my body because for one i hate looking like some sort of hairy man-beast and if i dont shave I get a ton of ingrown hairs usually forming big pus pockets) and that usually freaks ppl out more than me shaving.

So if white is a straight color and red is also, how does pink become a gay color? Do 2 straight people standing together equal a gay couple?

Old 02-11-2012, 05:43 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
If a guy wants to do so, more power to him. I wouldn't do it personally, but that's more out of personal inclination rather than some outmoded and restrictive definition of "masculinity" (as if such a thing has an objective existence anyway). I honestly feel nothing but pity for all of the poor men out there that are so concerned with their masculinity and machismo that they basically have no outlets for self expression whatsoever aside from expressing their rage and hatred toward men who don't buy into the silliness around them.

This attitude is especially prevalent among men from Western cultures. It seems that most of them either won't (or simply can't) comprehend the fact that there is no absolute standard of "masculinity", and that some things that today might be considered gay or even transsexual were (or in some cultures, are) considered properly or even desirably masculine. Take this image of a Sri Lankan man in a sarong, for example:

In many places in the west, (especially America, especially the American South) a man would literally be placing himself in physical danger by wearing something like this. However, in Sri Lanka it is as normal to them as a pair of blue jeans are to us. Now tell me, are you so confident in your absolute, objective definition of masculinity that you would feel comfortable telling all of these men about how unmasculine they are?

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 02-11-2012 at 05:55 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 05:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
If a guy wants to do so, more power to him. I wouldn't do it personally, but that's more out of personal inclination rather than some outmoded and restrictive definition of "masculinity" (as if such a thing has an objective existence anyway). I honestly feel nothing but pity for all of the poor men out there that are so concerned with their masculinity and machismo that they basically have no outlets for self expression whatsoever aside from expressing their rage and hatred toward men who don't buy into the silliness around them.
Have you ever been made fun of or bullied for doing something considered girly?

Not that I have, but I can imagine. But is so terrible about femme guys anyway? It's like the more 'masculine' males have to go and tear him apart out of some brutal purging instinct.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:00 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
I will get a pedicure or manicure anytime but I will never in my life paint my toenails.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Have you ever been made fun of or bullied for doing something considered girly?

Not that I have, but I can imagine. But is so terrible about femme guys anyway? It's like the more 'masculine' males have to go and tear him apart out of some brutal purging instinct.

I've never been into acting 'girly', or cross-dressing, but I was definitely bullied for not being "manly enough". I grew up in Georgia, in the American South, which is essentially a living, breathing Powerthirst commercial. I am very quiet and collected by nature, and my artistic and musical tastes toward the 'feminine' For example, I love the musical group "Blue Stone", which is about as soft and feminine as music can get. (Most people don't realize that the music itself is, in fact, composed by men!)

Old 02-11-2012, 06:30 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I will get a pedicure or manicure anytime but I will never in my life paint my toenails.
Neither will I. I pay others to do it for me.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 PM

^ yeah that's just cultural. At one time men all wore skirts or 'dresses', or mostly. Pants would've been weird.

Also in India it's common for male friends to hold hands. Another thing that might get you bashed up by homophobes.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Things like hose and tights used to be exclusively for men as well, LONG before women ever wore them. I wonder how many men here would have the balls to call out, say, Henry VIII for wearing tights. (Answer: Not a single one that values their life)!

Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Things like hose and tights used to be exclusively for men as well, LONG before women ever wore them. I wonder how many men here would have the balls to call out, say, Henry VIII for wearing tights. (Answer: Not a single one that values their life)!
Lol...they showed off his manly calves.

In Roman times men wore short 'skirts' while women wore maxi-dresses, lol. It was probably seen as inappropriate for women to show leg. Now it's the opposite lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty