Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:19 AM

104 posts, read 545,708 times

Advertisements

It may be from shaving but I have redness and irritation sometimes around the jowl area and cheeks. I use Aveeno shaving cream but I guess it's not helping too much. My skin is very sensitive as I get red blotches around the chest and back after showering, which goes away. However, my face is red during the day as well.

Is there any type of skin cream to make my skin uniform skin color? and take away the redness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 02:11 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Have you ever tried aloe gel as an aftershave balm?

Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Vaseline makes the best lotion that evens out the skin tone a lot. I (female) have unusually flushed cheeks, (we're Scottish! ) and having gotten fed up with having to wear 3 layers of foundation for makeup every morning before I leave the house - I began washing my face at night and immediately applying the lotion. It doesn't matter how much I rub into my face, it always seems to absorb it and it's hard to tell I even put it on by the feeling. (as opposed to some lotions that leave you feeling silky, oily, smooth, or greasy) - literally, this one doesn't ever feel like I put on enough when I've rubbed it in. So I'm always putting on more.

I noticed a change in my skin-tone coloring evening out in about 2-3 days.
There are lots of brands out there that boast to even out skin coloring with the cocoa butter ( the key ingredient ) - so I originally picked up the CVS/Walgreens knock-off version... but goodness. Don't waste the time that I did. Buy the real Vaseline Cocoa Butter Lotion itself - the difference is night and day! I'll throw a link down at the bottom. You have to be persistent, you may see an improvement in just 2-3 days like I did if you use it... but if you get lazy like me and stop putting it on at least once a day, don't expect it to work miracles.

Amazon.com: Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Butter Deep Conditioning Body Lotion 24.5 fl oz (725 ml): Beauty

So if you're evening out your skintone, cocoa butter is the way to go. But if you're just getting unusually irritated skin with shaving, aloe works like a charm as well - so pick your battles. It's best to combat the problem, rather than just randomly try treating the symptoms.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:19 PM

648 posts, read 3,091,054 times
see a dermatologist! they can clear it up

Old 04-03-2010, 05:59 PM

104 posts, read 545,708 times
Thanks for the replies! Some of the redness is from shaving so perhaps aloe gel will work. However, there is also redness in areas where I don't shave, so perhaps the cocoa butter solution will work.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:23 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
If the redness continues in areas that you are not shaving, try nysporin. Sometimes skin gets a small fungus, and I hear of that happening more lately than ever before. Don't use old product on your face and make sure that your razor is absolutely clean.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I believe witch hazel helps soothe inflamed skin. Some aftershave lotions include witch hazel. This one has aloe too.

Thayers Witch Hazel After Shave w/Aloe Vera Formula - $6.50 : Thayers Natural Remedies, Since 1847

Old 04-04-2010, 01:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRockinite View Post
Thanks for the replies! Some of the redness is from shaving so perhaps aloe gel will work. However, there is also redness in areas where I don't shave, so perhaps the cocoa butter solution will work.
Try a milder soap without fragrances too. It will help everything overall. I would go with Dove or Dr. Bronners. Ivory is ok if you don't have hardwater.

To really properly shave you should use a preshave oil (olive oil from your kitchen is fine) + cream for shaving + post shaving something to clean and calm. Using the witch hazel as an aftershave splash + balmy type thing would be good.

Try using petroleum free products. I know a lot of people like them but I discovered that those can actually make skin irritations worse.

Aveeno also makes a face lotion that is suppose to kill redness. It has feverfew. Those products don't seem to bug my skin as much as other drugstore stuff. I like that brand.

http://www.aveeno.com/active-naturals-feverfew.jsp

Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Rosatia??

Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 PM

648 posts, read 3,091,054 times
omg just make an appointment with a dermatologist and save yourself a lot of trial and error!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty