Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:12 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
There seems to be a misconception of 'heavy' make up use vs 'full face' you can have a 'full face' of make up and still have a natural/neutral look. Having a 'full face' of make up doesn't mean your make up is 'caked' or 'clownish' in appearance. It means you have applied most/all make up components and that's it. Nothing more nothing less. The way you choose to apply the components is what matters. You can apply foundation/powder only to your face and still have a 'caked' look. You can wear lipstick only and look like a 'clown' if it's not the appropriate color for your skin tone. So it's not how many components you are applying to your face but in what capacity those things are being applied.

None of these ladies make up is 'heavy' yet they're wearing a 'full face'
And all of them are celebrities at various public events. Of course they're going to wear full make up. That doesn't mean the average woman should be expected to wear full make up every single day. I completely understand wearing full make up doesn't mean it has to be heavy... but that also doesn't mean a face without full make up looks bad.

Regardless of how light or heavy it is, I simply don't like foundation - I hate not being able to touch my face without make up coming off. I mean, you can't wipe your mouth after eating without it coming off on the napkin - it's ridiculous. Naturally, I wore foundation on my wedding day... but nothing and no one can convince me I "should" be wearing it daily if I'm wearing other make up. I don't understand why anyone would care so much what exact types of make up I'm wearing.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,422 times
Quote:
When you apply make up it becomes your face because it alters your appearance. It doesn't matter how little you wear, if it wasn't changing your appearance in some way you wouldn't wear it at all.
I disagree. I wear make-up to simply emphasize or highlight the features I have; mascara for my eyes, some tinted moisturizer or sheer foundation to even out my skin tone, a brow powder and a little lip gloss. I don't look very different made up than I do without, just fresher, healthier and less tired looking.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:36 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,977,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumandcoke View Post
Full face of makeup everytime I go outside is an absolute must!

I live in a wealthy community where women are expected to maintain themselves, if you will. I have a very high social standing in my community, thus my need to look presentable (hair combed, radiant color, pearls, and a dress or blouse).

At the very least I will wear concealer, foundation (cream and powder), cream contour, blush, mascara, lip stick or lip stain or lip tar, lip gloss (when necessary), lip liner, cream eye shadow, and a skin pigment. I also use a toner every now and then. On most days when I'm at work or at a social event, I will wear my mink eyelashes too. It really stands out and makes my eyes look less sunken in.

I truly can't believe that there are women who allow themselves to be seen in public without makeup. I live in an environment where women enjoy being feminine and not so dull.
Yep my friends and I enjoy expressing our femininity and being classy in appearance and I defiantly don't see it as something to be ashamed of.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I disagree. I wear make-up to simply emphasize or highlight the features I have; mascara for my eyes, some tinted moisturizer or sheer foundation to even out my skin tone, a brow powder and a little lip gloss. I don't look very different made up than I do without, just fresher, healthier and less tired looking.
That is altering your appearance which means change. Your face doesn't look like it does with those things on vs without. In my opinion make up isn't suppose to dramatically change your appearance but just bring out a better you which is what you're saying your make up does however it is altering your appearance if not there wouldn't be a purpose in wearing it.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:47 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,422 times
Quote:
That is altering your appearance which means change. Your face doesn't look like it does with those things on vs without. In my opinion make up isn't suppose to dramatically change your appearance but just bring out a better you which is what you're saying your make up does however it is altering your appearance if not there wouldn't be a purpose in wearing it.
That's all semantics. My point is that make-up should complement and less of it doesn't mean that your face is incomplete. I guess it really depends on the face and the look you are going for.

I've seen people that I didn't recognize after their make-up came off.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:52 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,978 times
Quote:
What does this mean? I've heard women make comments like that about other women and to me it sounded like those women where jealous of her appearance and since they couldn't find anything bad to say about her, they said she's 'trying to hard' Trying to hard to do what?
I just had this conversation with my sister. There IS a point where makeup and hair is just trying too darn hard.

We have an old associate who does this. She just tries too hard. She's been doing it since she was a teen. A ~30 yo woman now looks like a 45 yo who is trying to look like a 35 yo. Too much makeup can lead to all sorts of problems later in life. My sister actually said she looks like a corpse made up for her wake/viewing. I agree with sis. She looks almost dead with all that makeup.

The thing is this person is a beautiful person on the inside and outside sans all the makeup and foo foo hairdos.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:54 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
I'm 54 now, and I think there are definitely trends in what most women wear regarding make-up. When I was in my twenties, I would say that most women who wore make-up did usually do the "full face" or almost full face routine. But over the past decade or so, it seems that particularly on the foundation thing, it's become more common for women to either skip foundation or just wear foundation on parts of the face where they think it's needed. I think eye shadow is kinda the same way. Certainly more women are going more towards more natural colored eye shadow (for the most part) if they wear any at all. At least this is how it seems to me.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I just had this conversation with my sister. There IS a point where makeup and hair is just trying too darn hard.
I definitely agree that there certainly IS a point where less is definitely more, and as said above, I'm 54. It seems I'm finding that especially as you get older, you need to apply cosmetics with a light hand. Again, just my opinion...

Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I definitely agree that there certainly IS a point where less is definitely more, and as said above, I'm 54. It seems I'm finding that especially as you get older, you need to apply cosmetics with a light hand. Again, just my opinion...
Agreed.

I really thought she'd grow out of this. But 3 kids and at least 1.5 decades later, she's still doing it. I believe she is using more expensive brands but basically using the same techniques.

It just isn't right!

Btw, I'm 35 but am often mistaken for ~28. Why in the world would I want to look even younger, lol? Getting hit on by 20ish yo guys is no fun!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
And all of them are celebrities at various public events. Of course they're going to wear full make up. That doesn't mean the average woman should be expected to wear full make up every single day. I completely understand wearing full make up doesn't mean it has to be heavy... but that also doesn't mean a face without full make up looks bad.

I agree. I've never really been into eyeshadow because I don't think it does anything for my eyes because I naturally have pretty eyes so I don't need eyeshadow to make them appear bigger or smaller because they're just right. Eyeliner and mascara gives my eyes just the right 'pop' it needs however I wouldn't ever leave my eyes bare if I'm wearing make up in other places and the same goes for my lips. I never wear a bare lip when wearing make up. I never considered wearing Blush until recently when I noticed how it gives your face a nice sun kissed look especially in the summer. So I'll now be wearing all the basic components except eyeshadow because it's not a need for me.

Regardless of how light or heavy it is, I simply don't like foundation - I hate not being able to touch my face without make up coming off. I mean, you can't wipe your mouth after eating without it coming off on the napkin - it's ridiculous. Naturally, I wore foundation on my wedding day... but nothing and no one can convince me I "should" be wearing it daily if I'm wearing other make up. I don't understand why anyone would care so much what exact types of make up I'm wearing.
Yep I don't think you need foundation/powder if you have good skin. My neighbor only wears moisturizer because her skin is naturally flawless and she always get asked what foundation is she wearing. She wears all the other make up components but she doesn't need foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty