Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 06:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,736,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
When it's 100 plus degrees for four months straight the last thing you think about is foundation because it's going to melt right off your face.
Amen to that! It's humid here when it's warm, like now. (I don't know if summer is here early or this is just a heat wave, but YUCK.) Heavy makeup is going to get all greasy in this weather.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:23 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,614,725 times
I am naked without lipstick.

I look like death warmed over without blush.

Businesses I enter call me sir if I am not wearing any face color or lipstick. Mine is a face that requires makeup. I wear good skin care products and am careful to take it off before bed everyday. And nobody has the right to tell me it is awful junk that I shouldn't wear. Those people need to get a life and mind their own!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 PM

114 posts, read 127,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I had to respond to this.

I live in a wealthy community as well. I mean people are LOADED!! (Not me, mind you LOL!) A Porsche or a BMW is nothing here. (The nannys drive the BMWs.) We're talking Lambos and Maseraits as the take-to-go-slumming-at-Target cars. (The WalMart has a lobster tank.)

If a woman here dressed in the manner you describe she would be talked about. For one thing it's way too hot. When it's 100 plus degrees for four months straight the last thing you think about is foundation because it's going to melt right off your face.

Most women dress very nicely. But casual. Hair clean and combed nicely. Lipstick. Maybe some mascara. They watch what they eat and are thin. Maybe to the extreme.

Most have rocks on their fingers the size of dinner plates. Maybe that's in lieu of the pearls.

Interesting how things are different.

Oh, we all moisturize religiously and sun block is a must.
My community is more old money. Your community sounds like a bunch of women who have little to nothing before they get married, marry rich and run wild with their husbands' money. Bless their hearts. Tonto Rim? You wouldn't happen to live in the Phoenix area, would you? That would explain a lot about the behavior of these ladies.

There is a certain manner a well-positioned, well-respected Southern woman dresses compared with women in other parts of the country. It's gets hotter than a fresh blueberry tart out here, but you are expected to maintain yourself. I get the vapors something awful when I exercise outside this time of year. I make sure to put on makeup that won't run down my face causing me to look like some kind of circus clown!

My strings of pearls have been handed down from generation to generation in my family. My grandmother wore them, my mother wore them, and now it is my turn. It has nothing to do with showing off. It is just standard apparel of any Southern woman of my social echelon.

The amount of makeup you have on is a TRUE indicator of your level of self-respect. That is, unless the makeup is TOO over the top or cheap.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:27 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,385,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumandcoke View Post
My community is more old money. Your community sounds like a bunch of women who have little to nothing before they get married, marry rich and run wild with their husbands' money. Bless their hearts. Tonto Rim? You wouldn't happen to live in the Phoenix area, would you? That would explain a lot about the behavior of these ladies.

There is a certain manner a well-positioned, well-respected Southern woman dresses compared with women in other parts of the country. It's gets hotter than a fresh blueberry tart out here, but you are expected to maintain yourself. I get the vapors something awful when I exercise outside this time of year. I make sure to put on makeup that won't run down my face causing me to look like some kind of circus clown!

My strings of pearls have been handed down from generation to generation in my family. My grandmother wore them, my mother wore them, and now it is my turn. It has nothing to do with showing off. It is just standard apparel of any Southern woman of my social echelon.

The amount of makeup you have on is a TRUE indicator of your level of self-respect. That is, unless the makeup is TOO over the top or cheap.
Glad you like it, but wow, that sounds really unappealing to me! It's a good thing we all have choices in life!

Personally I love Southern California where the idea is to look as good as possible, while wearing as little makeup as possible...

Old 06-19-2010, 08:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,736,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Glad you like it, but wow, that sounds really unappealing to me! It's a good thing we all have choices in life!
Same here. Yuck!

Old 06-19-2010, 08:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,692,869 times
I don't see a point to makeup at all.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
Neither full face nor makeupless, in most situations. Moisturizer, mascara, and lipbalm is pretty much perfect.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:39 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,827,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't see a point to makeup at all.
You wouldn't.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:17 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,321,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumandcoke View Post
Full face of makeup everytime I go outside is an absolute must!

I live in a wealthy community where women are expected to maintain themselves, if you will. I have a very high social standing in my community, thus my need to look presentable (hair combed, radiant color, pearls, and a dress or blouse).

At the very least I will wear concealer, foundation (cream and powder), cream contour, blush, mascara, lip stick or lip stain or lip tar, lip gloss (when necessary), lip liner, cream eye shadow, and a skin pigment. I also use a toner every now and then. On most days when I'm at work or at a social event, I will wear my mink eyelashes too. It really stands out and makes my eyes look less sunken in.

I truly can't believe that there are women who allow themselves to be seen in public without makeup. I live in an environment where women enjoy being feminine and not so dull.

I too live in the South and in a very wealthy waterfront community. However, we have what we call old money and new money. The women from new money are the ones that try to impress with overdone hair, makeup, and ostentatious jewlery. The women from the old money families are the ones that you would never know have money. They are the ones that volunteer at the hospital, work in their own flower gardens, sail, play tennis, work just because it fulfills them, and in general live normal lives. Only if you went to their home that has been in the family for decades and saw the property on the bay would you realize how wealthy they truly are.
They don't worry about their place in society or their standing in the community because it is something that they have that cannot be improved or taken away by how they look. Thank God I am part of that part of the South and not the place you live. I love running in the mornings with my hair in a ponytale and my face devoid of all makeup. I go to town like that too. If I had to wear a "face" to impress, I would move.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:03 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,827,994 times
I just like wearing makeup sometimes, but if I don't feel like bothering with my eyeshadow, I don't worry about it.

Concealer, foundation, eyeliner, and a little mascara is all I ever really wear, unless I'm getting prettied up for some photography. I only ever wear lip balm, because lipstick needs upkeep and I prefer my natural lipcolour. My hair is quite short now, so all I do with is comb and part it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty