Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
I think that would be Little Rock,actually. but you'll be just fine in Fayetteville, HogGirl!
I am not so sure about that, it might be a toss up. Fayetteville is extremely diverse, with people of all ethnic backgrounds and religious beliefs. It has, for many year been considered the most liberal city in AR. I am sure Little Rock would be up there as well. Maybe we are looking at the word "diverse" in different ways.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 AM

837 posts, read 2,249,780 times
no, I think this:

Quote:
people of all ethnic backgrounds and religious beliefs
sums it up pretty well.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 PM

697 posts, read 1,776,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not so sure about that, it might be a toss up. Fayetteville is extremely diverse, with people of all ethnic backgrounds and religious beliefs. It has, for many year been considered the most liberal city in AR. I am sure Little Rock would be up there as well. Maybe we are looking at the word "diverse" in different ways.

Nita
Yes, I do think it's just different thoughts on what diverse means. Little Rock certainly has the higher percentage of racial minorities, but I do think Fayetteville would have more people from other countries and a bit more of a religious mix overall, largely due to the University and the students and staff it brings in from a multitude of countries.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
Yes, I do think it's just different thoughts on what diverse means. Little Rock certainly has the higher percentage of racial minorities, but I do think Fayetteville would have more people from other countries and a bit more of a religious mix overall, largely due to the University and the students and staff it brings in from a multitude of countries.
My thoughts exactly. Probably Fayetteville has a higher economic level as well, but that would depend on whether you count the salaries of the students as they are normally not residents of Fayetteville.

Nita

Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,728 times
To the OP~
Fayetteville's college campus and surrounding area are much different than Ft. Smith and Conway.

I'm reminded of the scene from Ferris Bueller--where the school secretary starts naming off all the *types* of students e.g. geeks, dweebs. You'll find it all in F'ville-"Frat boys", boarders, techno-wizards, etc.

Just thinking of some of the restaurants around that have an eclectic makeup-Common Grounds on Dickson St; the pizza places-US Pizza, Tim's on the Square, Dam' Good Pies; Hugo's. Then there's roller derby at the Starlight Skatium:-)

Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 AM

837 posts, read 2,249,780 times
Fayetteville is what, 85-90 percent white? I have a hard time calling that diverse. as far as student population, UALR and UAMS also have many international students, plus Little Rock has a large population of foreign-born permanent residents as well. many of the doctors and nurses at other hospitals in Little Rock are from a wide variety of other countries, and the company I work for also has a number of employees from other countries--India and the middle east in particular--which I'm sure is the also case for the other large corporations here. there is obviously a large enough population here to support many ethnic grocers including Japanese, Vietnamese, Indian, Middle Eastern, and many, many hispanic shops of all kinds. check out the Greek, Asian, and Mexican food festivals some year, if you want to see some of the nationalities LR has in residence. religiously, LR has mosques, synagogues, temples and buddhist centers. and yes, Little Rock definitely has a greater economic mix.

I think the foreign-born population just stands out more in Fayetteville.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,951 times
You will fit in fine in Fayetteville. It's a liberal oasis in a conservative area, though NW Arkansas is more moderate/progressive than the rest of the state outside of Little Rock. Beautiful scenery in all directions. There is also Tulsa with big city amenities just under 2 hours to the west.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
I think the foreign-born population just stands out more in Fayetteville.
That's correct but the population of LR is nearly 3 times larger than Fayetteville. Fayetteville's area is also much smaller which is what makes the diversity seem greater and I don't think the percentages include the university students. Everything is pretty much on one street (Dickson) whereas LR is spread throughout the city. Also, people that may live in Bentonville, Rogers, etc. that moved here from another country are coming to Fayetteville for entertainment. The other NWA cities don't have much to offer for a nightlife. LR and Fayetteville are about the only places in Arkansas that I would consider diverse.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Northwest Arkansas, well, Springdale, really, has the Marshallese as well. The largest population of Marshallese in the world outside their native homeland.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Northwest Arkansas, well, Springdale, really, has the Marshallese as well. The largest population of Marshallese in the world outside their native homeland.
that is something few people realize. Thanks DC. I do not think most people do realize how many ethics we have here considering the population.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers