Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 01:11 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,132,535 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, NWA is beautiful. And yes, compared to a true large metro, it is small. It doesn't even feel like it is 500k most of the time. But that's part of the appeal for many who move here. Some big city amenities, good career opportunities, but the feeling of living in a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 01:14 PM

120 posts, read 215,562 times
We realized Bentonville has a larger population than el dorado hills, where I live now!

Old 06-07-2014, 02:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalgirl36 View Post
Okay I'm here right now and on my tiny phone so I can't respond to everyone, but we're staying at 21c right in the middle of the shareholders event..I'll give a more thorough review next week when I return Tuesday but so far, I can tell you it's EXACTLY like the area I live in now, just smaller. Look up Newcastle, penryn, and Loomis, it's a lot like that. Even Placerville and rescue. I live in the urban, posh town in between those rural areas (EDH) but I'm very used to this. It's very green, and the humidity is just like Hawaii like someone mentioned. Oh yeah...someone mentioned druggie. I almost fell over. Yeah, umm I'm pretty much a health nut, so that was kind of funny to read.
Anyway, I really really LOVE downtown Bentonville. I'm exploring Fayetteville and beaver lake this weekend. But so far the downtown is nice. Weather has changed a bunch, but it doesn't bother me. It would be great if I could pick up Bentonville and move it to n. Ca, but as I cannot, I'll have a big decision to make. The traffic?? Surely you jest. This is nothing. You have to remember I'm born and raised San Francisco.
Smiles, to you. I too, have to laugh when people talk about traffic after living in So. Ca, the bay area, Dallas and DC. Yes, the busy part is almost as busy, but it is a few blocks or miles not forever and it in only a couple of hours a day, at the most.

I know the decision is hard. We left So. Ca. to move to DC several years ago. Like you, we are very family oriented and all we took with us was our son, who was a senior in high school. We left aging parents, our number 2 daughter who was in college and our number one daughter who had just gotten married. We did fine, but I shed tears from time to time.

Regardless of your decision, I am glad you have had a chance to visit our wonderful, and very well kept secret region. I am sure you didn't expect it to be quite like it is. Remember, you said it yourself, it isn't necessarily a move forever and there are always airplanes.

Please keep us posted.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGilly View Post

Life goes by too fast, and to be successful in life one must be open to change - so why not try something new; the worst case scenario is: if you don't like it you can always go back to Cali.
Yes, that is EXACTLY the way I'm thinking!! You get one turn around this rock...I have only ever lived in California, and for all its beauty, there are other beautiful parts I'll never see if I don't be adventurous. Our plan, if we can swing it, is to just have as a tentative goal as a 2-5 year move. That way, I don't feel stuck if I get too homesick.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I haven't read this whole thread but you do seem scared. Hey, we have enough people here, so it's really no big deal if you decide not to move here. We have people from California and several gated communities with a golf courses, education, malls, and internet. There is a school being built everyday. Traffics jammed. Right now we have an additional 15,000 people here for shareholders and it's full anyway. Two days isn't going to show you anything.. You'll be stuck in traffic for half a day anyway.
Okay - so in the 4 or so total days I was there, I met with 4 different families for lunches, dinners, breakfasts, etc. All of them had relocated from larger cities such as Boston, Chicago, DC...they LOVE it here. I cannot believe how warm and friendly everyone is.

So - the gated communities, golf courses, shopping. It is all great. But as I worked my way through NWA (we went out to Beaver Lake, drove around, explored ALL over, you would not believe the driving and searching we did) - I came to realize that we have both done the country club suburban thing before. Yes, it is posh and new and fancy, but I really would only move if I could have something that I'm not already getting here. I know the country club lifestyle, so while it's really fun, I'm over it. I like the idea of either living right downtown in a historic home (updated completely) or in a nicer subdivision that is easy to access trails that go downtown. I think I found that in the Avignon/Hanover areas. I really prefer Bentonville over Rogers just because Rogers basically looks like where I live (someone earlier said Roseville - YES exactly!!)

I didn't notice any traffic except that caused by an accident on Friday on my way into Fayetteville when it was storming.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nennster View Post
Hello NorCal Girl

Regardless of the Shareholders events this week, it will be culture shock for you to visit NWA. It's the high south, however there are many transplants here. I just moved from California in January 2014 with my two kids and husband for a great career move, and I am really happy that we did. As scared as I was to move away from everything that I know, in the end "it was going to be okay, because it was going to make it okay." Some transplants love it here and change jobs just to stay, others skate by and know that it is temporary, and I'm sure some people don't like it. Big decisions can be scary, but have faith in yourself and your family. Are you ready for a change? Are you ready to take a step forward in life with a great career advancement and an opportunity to live in a different setting? It has been so interesting for me to learn to live here, and most importantly, my kids have experienced and learned soooooo much! This is the kind of childhood I wished I had with lakes, trails, lazy rivers, wildlife, etc. I grew up in the Hollywood Hills, which has a taste of nature. It is very safe here and the school system here (bentonville) is excellent. I would not have considered the move unless I knew the schools would be good. They are excellent and we coming from a Palos Verdes District Distinguished rated 10 school in California. Unfortunately, I fight my Starbucks addiction almost every day though because I am not near one, and the restaurant choices are very limited for our tastes, but you can't have everything. There are fewer options in every aspect, but it's all a part of living here.

There are many pros and cons, just like everywhere else. I wanted to let you know that Just last weekend, we saw bats and cave salamanders at War Eagle Caverns, had a mini 5 mile rafting adventure down the Elk River, and caught blue Gill right off our own dock and ate it. We have found something really amazing to do every single weekend since we have moved here,and we have grown closer as a family. We do love the outdoors and this is the perfect place for that. I have not encountered anyone that has pressured me into joining any church's or anyone who referred to me as a druggy. Nor have I experienced any resentment in being a transplant because everyone I encounter is a transplant. We are also bi-racial and haven't had any issues on that front.

Good luck!
Thank you for your post, it was great to read while I was visiting!! I only had a bit of culture shock. Actually, it was like reverse price shock. Even staying at 21C and dining at the Hive, prices were far lower than what I'm used to. ($12 to valet overnight? I'm used to $60 which is horrid, btw). I'm sure increased population will only drive it up, without a doubt, but for now, living here would mean an across the board savings.

What you said about growing closer as a family really speaks to me. My husband is a specialized attorney who has to travel all over the country for his cases, so he is gone on average 3 days of the week. I think over the next four weeks, I'll see him a few days here and there. The detrimental impact that has on a stable marriage and family life cannot be underscored enough. The enhanced quality of life would be incredible.

While I most likely would join a church, it would have to be a pretty mellow one, not a fire and brimstone one One who's members don't believe the Earth to be 6000 years old, lol

We were just at Terranea in Rancho Palos Verdes a few months ago, and then at Pelican Hill Resort in Newport Beach after that. Very familiar with that area. Oh, how I'd miss my beaches, but really, Florida is a state away!! And from what everyone says, so many big cities are driving distance, Memphis, Dallas, Tulsa, etc.

I am such an outdoors girl, I love the idea of rivers, lakes, trails, hiking, etc. And we'd finally be able to afford a BOAT!!! AHH!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nennster View Post
A couple more things, we were told the average stay of a transplant is 3 to 5 years. My husband and I thought that that amount of time flies by pretty quickly. This would be a good time to get ahead of the game. Since we could get more house for our money, we chose not to go all out with the house, and have more money for our savings and to travel We still have an incredible house that is way nicer/cooler than what we could have gotten in So Cal and for half the price. Lastly, a friend of our has daughters in beach volleyball who are set to be pro's one day. This would not be a good move for them due to the lack of beach volleyball support in NWA. I use this real life example because if there is a particular sport or specialty your family has invested in and want to pursue, look it up before you get here because it may not be here (ex: many vinyasa yoga classes) in the amount of support you require. Call those places too, because many businesses I have looked for, are out of business.

That is so funny, because that is exactly my thinking on this home front as well. I don't want to go all out anymore, because I want to really not be house poor again. I want to be able to say, "hey, I'm missing my mom or my sister, I want to fly home with the kids for the weekend" and be able to do it.

We did research the sports aspect, thank you for mentioning it. I have found a TON of yoga studios who offer hot vinyasa style, and I believe my husband found jiu jitsu, and of course, swimming was a top priority, and I've connected with the year round team (the Sharks).

I got a copy of the bentonville Parks pamphlet, and it is truly comparable to my community's Parks Dept. Concerts in the Park, sports activities, camps, outdoor films, spraygrounds (though noticeably less parks than I'm used to)...It is remarkable and I know I'd be able to be as involved as I want from the get-go.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
great post and you seem to be in the general age bracket of the OP. I am sure you can identify with her and visa versa. I see from you zip code you live somewhere near us. I only have one thing to add, which is just opinion: you came from Palos Verdes, which is a little different than coming from the Folsom Lake area. If OP was coming directly from the San Francisco bay area or from the So. Ca. area you did, it would be much more of a cultural shock. I also would not consider NWA high or deep south. So, yes. Heck we don't even know too many people living here with southern accents; maybe it is because a huge % of people in the area are from other parts of the country.

Again, you have certainly given her some good advise. Hope you continue to enjoy your time in AR, whether it is a few years or forever.
Aww well darn, one of the upsides was the hope that my little girls could get cute little Southern accents.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That actually is about the truth: when we first moved here we asked our granddaughter where the Parsons center was. Well first she did give us the street, but we were not familiar with Springdale, so she simply told us; take exit so and so, drive to the McDonalds, turn left or whatever and on and on. She was shocked we didn't know where the McDonalds was so she told us to just look for thus and so, McDonalds would be a couple blocks from there. And to think she was raised as a city girl and had only lived in AR while in college. Now she has been here 10 years; you talk about AR through and through.
You know what's funny, is while we were flying out, I was sad to leave. We landed in Atlanta, which was teeming with people, and I yearned for the relaxed and friendly environment I found in NWA. It just felt homey from the first. I told my husband that I couldn't make any decisions until I got back home and could think it through with a clear head to see if once I got back I couldn't imagine leaving. Well, it could be the 103 degree temperature, but I miss it, and I feel REALLY good about moving!! It has to all work out financially because we have a home to sell here, and I know there is a relo option, but until those details are worked out, I am really excited. I already feel loyal to AR. I was just blown away by the beauty of it as well as how you get the best of both worlds there - small town America that I love (I really should have been a teenager in the 50's) but also the benefits that money brings (metropolitan aspects such as quality restaurants, nice housing)

I discovered a great coffee shop - Kennedy coffee that makes good mochas! Went there twice. Had breakfast and lunch at Press Room, ate at Tusk and Trotter yesterday for lunch, had breakfast and late dinner at the Hive...Copelands in Rogers which I guess is a chain, but was still fun) - Flying Fish was AWESOME and right up my alley...we did a lot, experienced a lot, saw a lot, I ran trails everywhere, we went to Crystal Bridges, saw Memorial park a few times, visited Spray ground, checked out downtown homes, Pinnacle, Pinnacle Hills Promenade I think it's called and walked the mall, a BIT of Fayetteville, but I'm really focused on Bentonville. I loved it. If the stars align, you may gain five new Californians as neighbors.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:45 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,132,535 times
Quote:
I am really excited. I already feel loyal to AR. I was just blown away by the beauty of it as well as how you get the best of both worlds there - small town America that I love (I really should have been a teenager in the 50's) but also the benefits that money brings (metropolitan aspects such as quality restaurants, nice housing)
Its great to see you post! This is something that so few people understand about this region. Even back in Texas where we're from (which suffers from a "non-coastal" inferiority complex, IMO) the people think of "Arkansas" as some big negative place to be. Its comical to me, the impressions of people who have never even visited.

Yes, we are a rural state (which is why so much great natural beauty is so close), and yes, the eastern section of the state is the Mississippi Delta, which is very poor. But that part of the state might as well be in another state. We are closer to Dallas here than we are to Memphis, TN.

NWA combines big city amenities like Crystal Bridges, some good dining, some very progressive communities, plenty of outdoor activities, and you DON'T have to put up with most of the drawbacks of a large metro. A friend recently visited briefly and asked which "zip codes" were acceptable in Fayetteville, which made me realize I've mostly lost that "city" mentality.

Hope it works out for you and you enjoy living in NWA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers