Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 06:29 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,815,122 times

Advertisements

Here it is Northwest Athletic Club | $19 a month membership
Also I saw yesterday on the news where Spingdale is getting $850,000 for bike trails, Thanks to the Waltons.. and yeah, I know Rob..

http://5newsonline.com/2014/06/10/sp...in-bike-trail/

To the OP.. my family member developed Pinnacle ( which used to be Champions) Shadow Valley is right bedside it.. and SV is about 10 years old ( I think). Pinnacle is much older but they are always building new homes. I think there is around 6 entrances now ( not sure) It's all good.. it's just whatever you want. I would say Shadow Valley for you ( between the two)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 PM

120 posts, read 215,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Here it is Northwest Athletic Club | $19 a month membership
Also I saw yesterday on the news where Spingdale is getting $850,000 for bike trails, Thanks to the Waltons.. and yeah, I know Rob..

Springdale Gets $825,051 For Mountain Bike Trail | 5NEWSOnline.com

To the OP.. my family member developed Pinnacle ( which used to be Champions) Shadow Valley is right bedside it.. and SV is about 10 years old ( I think). Pinnacle is much older but they are always building new homes. I think there is around 6 entrances now ( not sure) It's all good.. it's just whatever you want. I would say Shadow Valley for you ( between the two)
It's pretty funny because I'm sending a realtor homes I like, and most of the ones I prefer are in Pinnacle. I just really want to be near downtown Bentonville, but what is downtown Rogers like? I need to check it out. Any trails linking those 2 towns? Or are they really far from one another?

I did find a few in Shadow Valley as well, beautiful. I think I flagged 3 homes on Fiddlesticks Trail in Pinnacle, the styles of which I liked very much. It is beautiful there, reminds me of home (the nicer area I can't presently afford!)

Old 06-12-2014, 05:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalgirl36 View Post
It's pretty funny because I'm sending a realtor homes I like, and most of the ones I prefer are in Pinnacle. I just really want to be near downtown Bentonville, but what is downtown Rogers like? I need to check it out. Any trails linking those 2 towns? Or are they really far from one another?

I did find a few in Shadow Valley as well, beautiful. I think I flagged 3 homes on Fiddlesticks Trail in Pinnacle, the styles of which I liked very much. It is beautiful there, reminds me of home (the nicer area I can't presently afford!)
Our granddaughter originally looked in Shadow Valley. I know they found one house they like: the realtor did some investigating and there was water damage that had never been repaired, along with a few other concerns. One of their criteria was a large lot as they were moving from 14 acres in West Fork. That is why they settled in Hanover area, there were able to find a home with the double lot.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nennster View Post
Hi NorCal

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay here and you found the swim team, jiu Jitsu, and yoga locations!

When looking for a home we also didn't want to be in that country club type of community. NWA is a small area and my husband always runs into work related people he know's all the time. We wanted to live somewhere where we could really relax when we got home, have a little space (a private yard) and not have to bother with really close knit community traits (like barbecues, golf tee times, parties, etc). That sounds terrible and anti social, doesn't it? Many many co-workers recommended Shadow Valley to us, and it is a beautiful community, but everyone he knew lived there and so close together. My husband also travels a lot so when he is home, it feels like special time (even if he's answering work emails and taking calls). We do still go to and enjoy birthday parties of classmates, swim lessons, soccer games, date nights, work parties, community events (like festivals or fund raisers), etc so we aren't complete hermits to the social world. Note: Nowhere where there are social classes can you escape from materialism and sizing each other up. It isn't as apparent here, but I'm sure it exists to a certain degree. NWA is a unique community where there are many who make a higher than average income, mixed with average income, real poverty, mixed with the top 5 & 1%, which isn't the norm for the state (from an ethnographical perspective). I told my mom that I was so sheltered from real poverty living in SoCal, where even the homeless had iPhones. I see glimpses of real poverty once in a while, but wealth is more apparent (at least in our day to day lives).

If you do choose to get new cars after you get here, is advise against front wheel drive, and do consider 4WD or AWD. Everywhere had ice and snow this past unusually snowy winter and 4Wd SUV helped tremendously, even if it was only like 15 days of snow. No one uses chains here. We do occasionally have to go down dirt roads too.

Ah Pelican Hill and Terranea!!! Yes, those 2 places and the areas around it were a big part of our California lives. Surprisingly, I don't miss the ocean as much as I had thought I would, but living on a lake helps. We bought our first "boat" last month (a canoe named Tipsy). Fun! It is a bummer that we are further from Hawaii and the entire Pacific Rim. However, we are now closer to Florida and we loooooove southern Florida and the keys We are looking forward to exploring what the east coast has to offer as far as tropical vacations.

Gyms... We are still searching. Most are NOT 24 hours The best seems to be the Walmart Gym, but you have to work for walmart. There is World Gym, but the one my husband was going to join on Walton blvd in Bentonville, closed down about a month ago. They have other World Gym locations, which have several locations and a good selection of classes, but I read that they require a 3 year contract (I haven't verified). Planet Fitness seems pretty good, but they have one Rogers location that isn't convenient for us. There is a 24 hour gym in Bentonville called Anytime Fitness, but my husband says that they don't have enough machines & weights, as far as variety. My search continues and in the mean time, we have our home gym.

I hope you are past the fear and I see you are already looking forward to the excitement, if the move does happen and was meant to be Good luck!
Great feedback, thank you! Unfortunately, I did buy a new car Dec 31 that is only 2WD

I am SO excited to check out Florida. Yes, I will miss being far from Hawaii, but I'm sure we will still go and combine it with a trip home to visit family (if we move, of course!) so it's only 4 hours. I think Florida is just a quick couple hours' flight, and everyone we've met has said that is where they vacation (the keys would be phenomenal)

I'm looking forward to being 2/3 of the way closer to my East Coast family (Providence, RI, and part of Massachusetts) so I can see my 92 year old grandfather more often, hopefully! I will let you all know how it works out, but I am looking forward to it. If the talks progress and my husband accepts the offer, I will be out in a few weeks to house hunt. We are checking out Pinnacle after all, but I need to see downtown Rogers because I was really drawn to downtown Bentonville, and my understanding is it's not quite as developed or linked in with trails. I also will explore Fayetteville's neighborhoods. We have an agent who works with relo and can assist with appropriate neighborhoods.

All in all, it wasn't as much of a shock as I was thinking it would be. Except maybe in the better direction. Friendly people, nice restaurants, good food, small town as expected, less dense (again, not a bad thing), beautiful scenery, interesting weather, many community activities, road races, nature, etc. We are still hoping to work it all out.

If anyone has feedback on pros and cons to Rogers vs Bentonville at this point, I'd be grateful.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalgirl36 View Post
Great feedback, thank you! Unfortunately, I did buy a new car Dec 31 that is only 2WD

I am SO excited to check out Florida. Yes, I will miss being far from Hawaii, but I'm sure we will still go and combine it with a trip home to visit family (if we move, of course!) so it's only 4 hours. I think Florida is just a quick couple hours' flight, and everyone we've met has said that is where they vacation (the keys would be phenomenal)

I'm looking forward to being 2/3 of the way closer to my East Coast family (Providence, RI, and part of Massachusetts) so I can see my 92 year old grandfather more often, hopefully! I will let you all know how it works out, but I am looking forward to it. If the talks progress and my husband accepts the offer, I will be out in a few weeks to house hunt. We are checking out Pinnacle after all, but I need to see downtown Rogers because I was really drawn to downtown Bentonville, and my understanding is it's not quite as developed or linked in with trails. I also will explore Fayetteville's neighborhoods. We have an agent who works with relo and can assist with appropriate neighborhoods.

All in all, it wasn't as much of a shock as I was thinking it would be. Except maybe in the better direction. Friendly people, nice restaurants, good food, small town as expected, less dense (again, not a bad thing), beautiful scenery, interesting weather, many community activities, road races, nature, etc. We are still hoping to work it all out.

If anyone has feedback on pros and cons to Rogers vs Bentonville at this point, I'd be grateful.
Can't give you the pros and cons about the 2 towns, I only know, from what I have seen, I would take Bentonville, but both have good schools and either would work I am sure. As for the car situation, most of the time you will be just fine. Last year was a nightmare here, but we have spent 7 winters and with the exception of a couple of days each year driving has been fine.

I did not think it would be a total shock or not as bad as you might have thought. Even though the state is rural and we don't have any huge cities, we are not totally backwoods as so many think. I don't find NWA much different to other places we have lived.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:55 PM

44 posts, read 74,274 times
Sorry downtown Rogers, but I love downtown Bentonville way more. It seems like there are many more hip businesses (shops & restaurants) and their First Friday's and Farmer's Market are really nice. There is 21c, which is one of the top 10 hotels in America per Tripadvisor and it is so close to the Museum. They are building a block of more shops with condos too, and the Amazeum is being build close by as well..... It's just my opinion though.... Love it!

Old 06-13-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry downtown Rogers, but I love downtown Bentonville way more. It seems like there are many more hip businesses (shops & restaurants) and their First Friday's and Farmer's Market are really nice. There is 21c, which is one of the top 10 hotels in America per Tripadvisor and it is so close to the Museum. They are building a block of more shops with condos too, and the Amazeum is being build close by as well..... It's just my opinion though.... Love it!

Awesome, now I feel justified in my inclination to be near the square there! thanks for the validation

Old 06-14-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
I agree, downtown Bentonville is fare superior to Rogers, but Rogers does have some charm and I believe the city is working on developing it more. I hope so.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:43 PM

just got back from brunch with our 2 granddaughters and family: I asked them several questions that might be help, especially Norcalgirl:

1-school for Hanover and the area is Elm Street elementary and it is a year round school; one of the few in Bentonville: Our granddaughter, both know families in Shadow Valley; mixed feelings: they all love the facilities but they don't like the lack of space between houses and they say, everyone know what everyone else is doing. They don't feel they have any privacy. Our younger granddaughter was told the same by her realtor. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons.

As for gyms, apparently there are 2 or 3 World gyms and a new one being built in Bentonville. Yes, one did close down, it was the one I was thinking about.

Walking trails can be found almost everywhere in NWA, but Bentonville is the best according to both girls. They are runners. The older one (32) ran 6 miles this morning.

I hope this is some help; it is coming from 2 young ladies with little children and both in upper mobile situations. One is a stay at home mom; her husband is VP of his company and they have a toddler. The other has 2 girls; 1 just turned 2 and the other is 7. Hubby is an accountant and granddaughter is a Nurse practitioner.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just got back from brunch with our 2 granddaughters and family: I asked them several questions that might be help, especially Norcalgirl:

1-school for Hanover and the area is Elm Street elementary and it is a year round school; one of the few in Bentonville: Our granddaughter, both know families in Shadow Valley; mixed feelings: they all love the facilities but they don't like the lack of space between houses and they say, everyone know what everyone else is doing. They don't feel they have any privacy. Our younger granddaughter was told the same by her realtor. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons.

As for gyms, apparently there are 2 or 3 World gyms and a new one being built in Bentonville. Yes, one did close down, it was the one I was thinking about.

Walking trails can be found almost everywhere in NWA, but Bentonville is the best according to both girls. They are runners. The older one (32) ran 6 miles this morning.

I hope this is some help; it is coming from 2 young ladies with little children and both in upper mobile situations. One is a stay at home mom; her husband is VP of his company and they have a toddler. The other has 2 girls; 1 just turned 2 and the other is 7. Hubby is an accountant and granddaughter is a Nurse practitioner.
Great information, I appreciate you asking them. We seem to share a lot in common.

School info is really important to me - I've been researching and cannot figure out where I want them to be. I don't know how I feel about year-round, I get the arguments in favor of it, but I do like my kids having a traditional summer break. On the other hand, it would give us more time throughout the year to take a few trips back to CA to visit our families here for a week and still have break back in AR. So that is a plus...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers