Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkfirsprk View Post
I didn't mean that everyone in NWA literaly hates FS and most people in FS like to vistit NWA. I'm just saying that Fort Smith may not be as progressive but we are still razorback country.
AS long as it is ravorback country...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:04 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockrover View Post
Any time I hear the word "progressive" about a town or towns it just means I should hit the pedal a little harder and drive right on through.
And thank goodness for that.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:30 AM

20 posts, read 70,158 times
I don't really care if is ravorback country or not, I hate sports. I just figured most other people do like sports.
Oh well, I guess at heart I really hate Fort Smith too. I'm just stuck here until I am through with college.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkfirsprk View Post
I don't really care if is ravorback country or not, I hate sports. I just figured most other people do like sports.
Oh well, I guess at heart I really hate Fort Smith too. I'm just stuck here until I am through with college.
Gee, you are sure a positive person, you hate sports, you have Ft Smith, what do you like?

Nita

Old 09-02-2008, 03:40 PM

I like a lot of things, I like art, music, and learning about Vietnamese culture to name a few.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:28 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
I spent a part of the week in Fort Smith and I quickly remembered why I left. The town itself has a charming side and at first glance you might actually like it but the good ole' boy network there is nearly impenetrable. If you didn't grow up there, you are regarded as an outsider. Its even worse in surrounding towns like Greenwood. Churches there are more interested in maintaining their cliques than reaching out. I remembered why I became so turned off towards Christianity when I was living in Ft. Smith - thankfully not all churches are like that. A lot of people I knew at UAFS moved to elsewhere after college and haven't looked back. In fact, many are now in NWA. The unmotivated ones who have no ambition to better themselves have remained in Ft. Smith.

I know I am being hard on Ft. Smith, but sometimes the truth is hard. This isn't even scratching the surface of how out of whack the town's politics are. The town has so much potential and could be so much better, but it isn't going to happen in the near future because the citizenry seem to have a fear of change. I see Pine Bluff as being the town's future if it continues down its current path.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I spent a part of the week in Fort Smith and I quickly remembered why I left. The town itself has a charming side and at first glance you might actually like it but the good ole' boy network there is nearly impenetrable. If you didn't grow up there, you are regarded as an outsider. Its even worse in surrounding towns like Greenwood. Churches there are more interested in maintaining their cliques than reaching out. I remembered why I became so turned off towards Christianity when I was living in Ft. Smith - thankfully not all churches are like that. A lot of people I knew at UAFS moved to elsewhere after college and haven't looked back. In fact, many are now in NWA. The unmotivated ones who have no ambition to better themselves have remained in Ft. Smith.

I know I am being hard on Ft. Smith, but sometimes the truth is hard. This isn't even scratching the surface of how out of whack the town's politics are. The town has so much potential and could be so much better, but it isn't going to happen in the near future because the citizenry seem to have a fear of change. I see Pine Bluff as being the town's future if it continues down its current path.
We have only had a little experience with Ft Smith, but knew it wasn't for us. We were in a buffet type restaurant and I remarked to someone behind me how good the food was. Her comment, of course, where God is everything is good. I was tempted to ask her, if he was doing the cooking that day. Shame on me. We are Christains, we belong and are active in our church, but we do not wear our religion on our sleeve. I will say one thing, we loved the historical section of town..

Nita

Old 09-06-2008, 02:13 PM

[quote=bchris02;5153771]I spent a part of the week in Fort Smith and I quickly remembered why I left. The town itself has a charming side and at first glance you might actually like it but the good ole' boy network there is nearly impenetrable. If you didn't grow up there, you are regarded as an outsider. Its even worse in surrounding towns like Greenwood. Churches there are more interested in maintaining their cliques than reaching out. I remembered why I became so turned off towards Christianity when I was living in Ft. Smith - thankfully not all churches are like that. A lot of people I knew at UAFS moved to elsewhere after college and haven't looked back. In fact, many are now in NWA. The unmotivated ones who have no ambition to better themselves have remained in Ft. Smith.

I grew up in Fort Smith and I am certainly not a christian. I am going to UAFS. Fort Smith may not be perfect but it is where my family lives.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
[quote=blkfirsprk;5155727]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

I grew up in Fort Smith and I am certainly not a christian. I am going to UAFS. Fort Smith may not be perfect but it is where my family lives.
My family lives there too and I went to UAFS. There are things I like about the town, but I don't think I could ever live there again unless I had no other choice. I will admit, many people who leave Ft. Smith eventually end up returning for some reason or another. Sort of a boomerang effect happens to many who grow up there.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:55 PM

150 posts, read 636,256 times
I am sorry. I had to just giggle when reading through this entire thread. All of you......NWA, Ft. Smith etc have really nice places to live...booming population/crime complaints.... he he.

Come live in Vegas for a while and one will appreciate what FS and NWA have to offer. It is all perspective.

They have an old song about not knowing what you got till it's gone. Appreciate NWA and FS. They are both great places.

Don't think I am speaking as an outsider either. I lived in FS. My brother has been in AR for 17 years and I have family up in Fayetteville. It is a wonderful state with some wonderful cities. Inever ran into a single outsider or church problem while I was there or visited there after leaving.

I am now in Vegas because this is where the jobs are. Come here if you want to see some of the things everyone complains about such as crime, etc. Heck you have to check your car and close your garage before you get out of your car in many places here.

Dont get me wrong, there are some nice places to live in the Vegas area. We have found one in the Henderson area and like it.

Just know that there are some of us out there like like NWA and FS both and picture either as a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers