Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 03:18 PM

35 posts, read 117,496 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on backpacking in the sterling pass area? I have contacted the ranger dist. and they told me that '' they don't like anyone back there'' not that they don't allow it, they just don't want anyone backpacking. I know that there is ruins there and I can understand why. I just want to know if anyone has trail experience there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
If that is the same area that I’m remembering, a number of years ago while visiting and hiking the area, a couple of young adults broke into parked cars that hikers left in an area while enjoying the trails. They apparently saw items left in the locked vehicles and decided to break into them. Who would have thought about crime in remote areas? It was a sad situation for a number of people who wanted to enjoy the day.

Sedona Chamber of commerce might have a website that will give you info.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:23 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
> they told me that '' they don't like anyone back there'' not that they don't allow it, they just don't want anyone backpacking

Perhaps they are saying that the impact of backpacking is undesired, especially since these areas are readily accessible with a day hike (and since there is a campground down at the bottom of the trail.).

I have been up Sterling pass and part the way down and I don't recall any area that would be attractive for camping.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 AM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Have you checked out HikeArizona? If there's a good backpacking route there it'll be on that website.

I've hiked part of it, to Wilson Mt. There's still a lot of fire damage through that area. That might be why the rangers are trying to discourage you from going back there.

http://www.redrockcountry.org/about-...sFireRehab.pdf
http://www.redrockcountry.org/about-..._map_11-17.pdf

Last edited by stephen431; 03-02-2012 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 01:06 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
> I've hiked part of it, to Wilson Mt.

I think the OP was referring to the trail from roughly the Manzanita campground on 89 to the vicinity of Vultee arch. That doesn't go to Mt. Wilson.

By the way, the Sterling Pass trailhead is REALLY hard to find and barely has parking besides.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I think the OP was referring to the trail from roughly the Manzanita campground on 89 to the vicinity of Vultee arch. That doesn't go to Mt. Wilson.
I started from the other end. From dry creek. It doesn't go to the top of Mt. Wilson, just to the base.

Last edited by stephen431; 03-02-2012 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 AM

So sorry I should be more clear. I was/am interested in the Bear sign/ Loy Canyon area. I really wanted to know if anyone has backpacked in this area? I kind of like being in the outback away from the random day hiker. After speaking with the forest service about where I wanted to go the ranger told me that they cant tell me not to but that they '' don't like people back there'' - That just makes me want to go even more now! Has anyone had any experience in this area?
Thanks again!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM

I haven't made it that far west around Sedona.

Sedona is a great place to be a random day hiker, and there are so many places in Arizona with great backpacking that when I go to Sedona, I "camp" at a resort.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
I haven't made it that far west around Sedona.

Sedona is a great place to be a random day hiker, and there are so many places in Arizona with great backpacking that when I go to Sedona, I "camp" at a resort.
A few days in the wilderness is about all I can stand, then I will retreat to a nice resort for a day or two -- much to the horror of the desk clerk as I usually look like a homeless person upon check in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona