Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:58 PM

7 posts, read 41,520 times

Advertisements

I have been traveling with my family trying different areas of the country out to find our 'spot'. We moved to Sedona in October, and so far I LOVE it here. So does my family, fortunately.
I do have a few questions though (basically the few things keeping this place from seeming 'perfect'.) Any answers are greatly appreciated.

1. Crime rate? saw the latest news report about the murder, which surprised me because I have been hearing from the locals that this place is super safe...was this just one of those freak things and was it even IN Sedona>?

2. The red dust? I see people walking around with those surgical masks from time to time, which kind of creeps me out. Is the dust that bad for your lungs? Also.... the whole valley fever thing... how bad or common is that? I checked out the air quality report and while some of it is very good, other parts of the report were not. Also have noticed that every time it rains, the dust ends up on the patio tables, etc- it seems to come from the clouds. I don't like the idea of inhaling that...what's up with it>?

3. The heat? How bad is it in the summer? I can't stand the heat- and understand that AZ is prob not the place for me given that factor. I came here expecting to stay for the winter only but right now I don't want to leave. Honestly...how bad is sedona really?

4. The 'chem trails' I keep reading mixed results...is this real>? I have noticed the trails and plenty of military style planes/helicopters. What's that about?

5. The 'build up'...there is this fibrous material that gets everywhere. It's like somewhere between lint and dust and based on it's locations its neither. What is it and where is it coming from? I read something about the 'chem trails' leaving this behind but am suspicious of conspiracy theories...

Other than that, so far, this place is great but I am looking for a place to settle and it is those factors keeping me from doing so. Oh yes, that and healthcare.Why aren't there more hospitals in this wonderful town...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
chem trails, fibrous "buildup", military planes, dust from the clouds???????

and you say you're suspicious of conspiracy theories?????

relax....if you've been here since October, you should be getting a feel for it by now and putting your fears to rest....have you talked to the locals about your concerns?....highs in summer will be about 90-95, but will cool to 60-ish at night...low humidity helps, except in July and August when it gets a bit humid (for us)

hospitals cost money to run and Sedona is just not big enough to warrant more (or it'd be there)....larger Flagstaff is not far away and has a bigger hospital, though opinions vary on its quality....

Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 AM

LOL. As for the military planes, that's what my spouse says the black ones are- maybe they are just doing test flights?

& There is definitely a fibrous build up everywhere- it gets on top of things like the a/c unit much quicker than dust would collect. Just wondering what it is.

As for the chem trails, I don't know if I believe all that, but read the paper and they are did some sort of movie screening on it? And there is data about it all over the web, although some of it seems a little wacko to be honest.

haha- no I'm not talking to the locals about my concerns BECAUSE they are probably based on peoples conspiracy theories- that's why I'm here.

As for the heat, it's comforting to hear it doesn't get that high. Thanks for the advice. Still a bit concerned about the radiation content I read on the air quality report but when it came to car exhaust Sedona is pretty clean

Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Moderator cut: snip nitrogen dioxide is awful- it's a 1, 1 being the worst 10 being outstanding. The .gov sites say no data collected but I found one that actually monitors the data. My child and I have had throat infections four times in three months- when we weren't sick for years before. I understand you guys wanted to protect the tourist industry but you should pay attention to the facts. I don't see a lot of truck industry here so I am not sure what is screwing up the air so much...

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-10-2012 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Please see DM.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:22 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtofindthespot View Post
saw the latest news report about the murder, which surprised me because I have been hearing from the locals that this place is super safe...was this just one of those freak things and was it even IN Sedona>?
The murderer of the two elderly tourists also killed a Maricopa County Sheriff's deputy. And he lived in Peoria (a suburb of Phoenix), not Sedona. It was not indicative of crime in Sedona. Deputy, Sedona couple killings linked, Arpaio says

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtofindthespot View Post
Why aren't there more hospitals in this wonderful town...?
Sedona is a tourist town of approximately 10,000 people. There aren't many towns of that size with first class medical care.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:46 PM

72 posts, read 126,415 times
We lived in Sedona about 15 years ago and the crime rate was extremely low then. There was definitely some drug use there, but it was pretty low key, but growing. It's far enough away from Flag and Phoenix that thieves from those cities don't bother to venture there too much, They go for the low hanging fruit in the other cities. These murders were a freak occurrence.

The red dust is red because it's high in iron oxide, which could be disturbing to some peoples' lungs. I drove jeep tours there for a couple of years without much problem, but did notice some drivers would wear bandanas over their mouths on the dustier roads. I would just slow way down.

Sedona doesn't get very hot in the summer. There's a brief period when it can get up to 105 for a couple of weeks, but unlike Phoenix, it will cool down at night. Spring and fall weather are perfect and most of the summer is very pleasant. No where near like Phoenix.

Discussing chem trails tends to be right up there with discussing 911. Lots of deliberate, planted disinformation about this subject on the web. If you dig enough you'll find that, yes, there is weather modification going on, which is related to the chem trails. Beyond that whatever else is going on is kept under wraps with lots of speculation, as you can imagine. Just don't buy the disinformation that they're all contrails. This is total deflection. Be advised that you'll be labeled a nut if you suggest that it's other than the officially sanctioned government story, again, just like 911.

We never experienced the buildup you describe that seems to collect there now. Strange!

Sedona was a wonderful place when we were there. Unfortunately it's become very expensive due to all of the second home purchasers driving up property costs. It's become increasingly 'gentrified' over the years, but you still have the red rocks to spend time in. Get out in the canyons: Secret Canyon, Long Canyon and even Boynton Canyon (even though you now have to go around the Enchantment) and Fay Canyon, which was one of our favorites (climb up and sit on the shelf- an awesome view). These areas are still very powerful places energetically as is Cathedral Rock. Have some fun there!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:29 AM

I consider 105 very hot But then again, I consider 85 degrees very hot.

Thanks for the input. I definitely DO NOT follow the 'government staged 9-11' conspiracy theory, at all. And I wouldn't classify that in the same category as the chem trail thing- there is a difference in trying to regulate weather and attacking your own country in order to start a war. The jets that are always over head leave streams that later spread out into larger clouds, yet still in the same shape as the streams. It doesn't make sense that our government would put chemicals in the air to regulate the weather when it could cause harm in itself. Then again, though, a lot they do does not make sense sometimes

The 'buildup' is everywhere- just kind of like cotton but I am guessing it is more environmental and has to do with the red rocks, dust, etc. I am not familiar with this terrain at all. I just noticed in the paper they had a showing of some film on chem trails, which made me raise the question. And the stuff about it across the internet is not scare by any means. Still, I don't know if I believe it.

Anyway, my family and I are just passing through and have sinus reactions to the dust so I wouldn't be getting out in the canyons- at least not too much, especially considering we have a young one and are afraid of heights. They are beautiful to look at, though. I would never talk to the locals about this- I just don't know anyone well enough to bring up something so controversial. It is interesting, however, Moderator cut: snip, the nitrogen dioxide levels in sedona are a 1 on a scale of 1 to ten, when there isn't much truck activity. I guess the chemicals in the air are from the exhaust of the planes flying over head. I did notice the .gov sites don't report on the air quality, I wonder why? I guess it is too rural for them to measure.

One thing I will say about AZ is that it has the lowest cancer rates in the country, which I found interesting. Phoenix seems to have some serious lunies from what I have seen on the news, though.

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-21-2012 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: new members may not post links. In any form.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
First of all the people wearing surgical masks around town are doing so because the allergies (not to the red dust) are very bad here (for those who suffer) and many people who have never had allergies get them within 5 years of living here. I don't have them but from what I'm told Junipers can shed their pollen all winter, and then it's one thing after the other for most of the rest of the year - so much for 'good' air in AZ! I have friends who suffer unbelievably here.

If you find 85 hot I doubt you would like it here as it can be that hot (or hotter) 5 months of the year.

PS I have no idea what 'build up' you are speaking of, I live here and don't see it.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 PM

43 posts, read 105,215 times
all the things that worry you you listed Why would you even think of moving to Arizona? Not only Sedona but anyplace in the state. Makes no sense to me. Then again heat never bothers me Far as crime I train and stay armed 24/7 as do allot of people in Arizona. Guess in my life few things bothered me and nothing scares me. If I was you i'd check Arizona off the list of places to move to

Old 01-23-2012, 02:48 PM

Actually, I have read quite a bit about the red dust effecting people who have lung issues in a negative way, which is why I was wondering about whether the masks were bc of the dust. And, um, Lostone I am vacationing here and fell in love with the scenery, and was considering staying, but wanted to touch on some of the issues I have been hearing about. Somebody's moody

As for the build up, it could be a problem with my vacation home, but I saw a video on the 'chem trails' (whether they exist or not) that had that same exact buildup that is everywhere, and the vid was complaining it was bc of the chemicals. So, I thought I would ask before jumping to any conclusion.

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-23-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona