Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:03 PM

25 posts, read 87,118 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Wanted to start a new thread because the others seemed a little old. Hubby and I are looking to move to Prescott or Cottonwood from TN to retire. We had initially thought Prescott because of the moderate climate, but Cottonwood seems smaller and more charming and its closer to the Red Rocks of Sedona, which I love.

We are looking for a standard 3/2 home. A little bit of land wouldn't hurt if it's available. Which areas of town would you recommend? We're not stuck on Cottonwood downtown - near grocery stores within 10 minutes is fine. I'm not big into shopping anyway. Quieter areas would be preferred - not trashy neighborhoods.

Could someone get us started in the right direction of which areas/streets to avoid and which ones to look at?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 12:11 AM

456 posts, read 1,500,356 times
I don't have an answer to your main question about neighborhoods since I haven't lived here long enough to get a real feel for all the areas. My main impression is that the town is safe and even the worst areas aren't that bad. I've been coming to CW for a long time, my inlaws moved here in 1985 so there have been lots of visits. They have never had any trouble in all that time. We moved here 3 yrs ago and really like it. I wound up buying about 15 min from town, but we got what we wanted.

If you haven't done so already, expand your search to include Clarkdale, Cornville and Camp Verde. Clarkdale is 5 min away, has some newer homes under development. Cornville offers either newer homes close to CW or older homes on acreage. Camp Verde is similar to CW, a little smaller but same climate. It does have the advantage of being near I-17, so Flagstaff, Prescott and Phx are pretty quick trips. I looked at some very nice homes in Camp Verde, but we felt it was too far to drive to care for my MIL every day.

Curly

Old 12-10-2013, 04:31 AM

Thanks so much!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:38 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,234,188 times
I live in CW and am no expert but the Black Hills area is nice and there's another big (Del Webb?) community that is nice- it depends on your price range.

I would not expand my search to Cornville, Verde Sante Fe etc. as you have to drive so far for everything.

PS Cottonwood is WAY warmer than Prescott (summer time too) because its a lower elevation...we rarely get snow here. It's even noticabley warmer than Sedona.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:42 PM

Thanks! We're trying to stay between $150K-$175K. we don't need anything fancy. Do you know anything about Villas on Elm?

Old 12-11-2013, 06:07 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,234,188 times
no but I know that realtor, she's an honest person...they look nice, most of what you want to avoid here is VERY visible when you're in the neighborhood.

A freind is getting ready to sell her home - it's very nice and private on a bit of a large lot...it will be around the top end of your price and has a garage and RV parking/hookup and is right on the forest but minutes to Walmart

Old 12-11-2013, 06:49 PM

That sounds like what we want. but it msy take us a year to get everything settled and sell our house here. But we hope to come out in the spring and take a closer look. Hubby was just looking at a house and 40 acres...in Seligman! I nixed that real quick. We originally looked at prescott/prescott valley, but decided we might want to be closer to Sedona. But we are going to keep our minds open until we get there. ..

Old 12-14-2013, 03:17 PM

174 posts, read 396,999 times
I may be able to help point you in the right direction. My grandparents live in Cottonwood and have loved it there since the moved from Sedona to Cottonwood about 6 years ago. As back then they felt Sedona was getting very congested with the two lane road through town and more and more people coming their on weekends.

For the Cottonwood area I would suggest the West side of town which has the Dell Webb community that someone earlier mentioned. This is the area they live in and is about a 10 minute drive to old town/ down town Cottonwood. If you're into BBQ their is a phenomenal restaurant called "Hog Wild" in Cottonwood that you can't miss. I don't know of any bad areas in Cottonwood to steer clear of, but I would say that the community their in is very quiet and safe, but also has a minimal HOA.

As for Prescott if your open to it, they're many areas that fit what you're after in my opinion, but they're some areas in Prescott I would steer clear of. What do you consider a little bit of land? 1/2 acre, 1 acre, 5 acres? It is always interesting how things differ when people move from different parts of the country.

[mod cut-- please review rules for realtors here]

Prescott to Sedona is about an hour long drive, with Cottonwood nearly in the middle. It is about a 20-25 minute drive from Cottonwood to Sedona.

Hope this helps.

-Trent

Last edited by observer53; 12-15-2013 at 03:27 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 10:42 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,086,646 times
never mind

Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
never mind
Not quite sure I understand what you mean...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona